Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Oct 13, 2021 at 11:49 PM Post #7,323 of 7,677
Thanks to @theMUKe for the tip on the Brainwavz Hybrid Memory Foam Velour oval pads to tame the bass on the Meze 99 Classics. Did my pad swap from version 3 of the Meze 99 Classics stock pads (thicker than very thin V2, now the small stock pads available from Meze; but thinner than original).

VERY STOKED to report the Brainwavz definitely tamed the bass. It's still present but doesn't bleed nearly as much into the mids. The bloom is pretty much gone from the bass, too. But that change also removes a lot of the "fun" bass thump from the stock tuning. So, if you dig that thump -- and I'll admit it can be fun in the right mood and with the right genre -- you should keep the stock pads.

The treble does sound a hair thinner, but it's more clear. I think the bass of the stock tuning is so strong that it bleeds into the mids and can bloom into the upper mids or lower treble, giving it more richness or heat than flat treble.

As for the mids, two observations to report.

One, the mids are more present due to the lack of bass blood stains, but they'll never be mistaken for Sennheiser mid-centric focus. They're nice. Not nearly as forward and clear as with my HiFiMan HE-400se, but still better.

Two, I have seen some reports indicating the Brainwavz bring out the mids and elevate them, and that's complete BS. The mids are clearer, but they're no more forward in the mix or signature. Just cleaner. Much cleaner.

Brainwavz definitely bring these cans closer to neutral without EQ for $22. Nice plus for me: They're 8 mm deeper than the stock V3 Meze pads, so my cans are more comfortable for the protruding pinnae cartilage in my right ear. I also really dig velour pads now, as I LOVE my first exposure to them through my HE-400se.

Make no mistake: I still like my HE-400se better than these 99 Classics with the Brainwavz. It's a more musical headphone, with cleaner bass, mids and treble and better imaging. But the Brainwavz do seem to slightly expand the soundstage of the 99 Classics, which is nice.

I was considering selling my 99 Classics and looking for another pair of solid closed-backs for less than $500. Maybe Dan Clark Audio Aeon RT Closed, Focal Elegia or something like that. But I think I'm keeping these Brainwavzed 99 Classics, as the sound signature still is energetic and fun without being coated in hot fudge bass.

So, I will keep my HE-400se as my open-backs and the 99 Classics as my closed-backs, selling my Sennheiser HD 560s and Moondrop Starfield soon. Then it's on to another bout of upgradeitis, probably to get a better planar-magnetic open-back at $600 or less. HiFiMan Sundara or Ananda, Dan Clark Audio Aeon RT Open, etc.

Thanks again, @theMUKe!

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #7,324 of 7,677
@pk4425 I've got a similar plan to yours. Currently have Sundara for "reference" listening and 99C for "fun" use. Will upgrade from Sundara to Arya or Clear and 99C to Aeon 2 Closed or something in the near future.

I tried Brainwavz oval pads (basic) a few months ago. They were more comfortable than the stock large pads, increased stage size and cleaned up the mids but the bass became too loose and the headphone lost some of that fun, relaxing character when listening to music. Those pads worked well for gaming though.

Oct 14, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #7,325 of 7,677
Hi guys!

I have a Meze 99 Neo headphones for 1 year and half. I love these headphones but earpads started to peel off as expected. Here is a screenshot of them at the moment

https://ibb.co/0DXkYbY

So my question is, which earpads do you recommended to use? I keep reading that Brainwavz pads are good but several models have been recommended that I don't know which to choose. My main concern is audio quality and then price so based on that which ones do you recommend?

Thank you very much!
Best regards!

Oct 14, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #7,326 of 7,677
Hi guys!

I have a Meze 99 Neo headphones for 1 year and half. I love these headphones but earpads started to peel off as expected. Here is a screenshot of them at the moment

https://ibb.co/0DXkYbY

So my question is, which earpads do you recommended to use? I keep reading that Brainwavz pads are good but several models have been recommended that I don't know which to choose. My main concern is audio quality and then price so based on that which ones do you recommend?

Thank you very much!
Best regards!
If you had no problems with your previous pads, buy replacement for the same.

If you had issues with comfort or sound or just want to try out pad swapping. Here's what I've tried and my impressions of them.

Brainwavz Oval Pads:
Pros: Increase perceived soundstage, more comfortable, cleaner Mids, elevates Treble somewhat, cleans up the Bass (less bleed into mids)
Cons: Bass looses tightness, slightly effects imaging, Mids loose some warmth (might be a pro for some)

Meze Small Pads:
Pros: Tighter lows, improved imaging, cleaner mids
Cons: soundstage narrows a little (compared to stock large pads), comfort

Generic Velour Pads (AliExpress):
Pros: Increased stage, very comfortable
Cons: large reduction in Bass, too much treble emphasis, Mids loose warmth.

Oct 14, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #7,327 of 7,677
If you had no problems with your previous pads, buy replacement for the same.

If you had issues with comfort or sound or just want to try out pad swapping. Here's what I've tried and my impressions of them.

Brainwavz Oval Pads:
Pros: Increase perceived soundstage, more comfortable, cleaner Mids, elevates Treble somewhat, cleans up the Bass (less bleed into mids)
Cons: Bass looses tightness, slightly effects imaging, Mids loose some warmth (might be a pro for some)

Meze Small Pads:
Pros: Tighter lows, improved imaging, cleaner mids
Cons: soundstage narrows a little (compared to stock large pads), comfort

Generic Velour Pads (AliExpress):
Pros: Increased stage, very comfortable
Cons: large reduction in Bass, too much treble emphasis, Mids loose warmth.

I liked the ones that came with the headphones, but had two problems with them:
1 - I think it is too large and with it comes sound leaking
2 - Its durability, like I never used the headphones outside or walking and the leather peel off.

Said this I want to test a new ones.

The Brainwavz Oval have been recommended. Other recommended was the PU leather. Which one is better?

Oct 14, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #7,328 of 7,677
2 - Its durability, like I never used the headphones outside or walking and the leather peel off.

The Brainwavz Oval have been recommended. Other recommended was the PU leather. Which one is better?
1. Sound leakage is probably because your pads are worn out. If you want to preserve the stock sound signature get the Meze small pads. Since stock large pads are too large for you, comfort should not be an issue.

2. Yes, the pads from Meze are not very durable. My Sundara pads are 2 years old and still in great condition. Brainwavz pads on my M50x are almost 3 years old and still pretty usable. Compared to those Meze pads for me tend to last for 1 or 1 and a half years on regular use.

My recommendation would be to get the Meze small pads if you like the stock sound signature and Brainwavz Oval PU Leather for a different sound signature.

Oct 14, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #7,329 of 7,677
1. Sound leakage is probably because your pads are worn out. If you want to preserve the stock sound signature get the Meze small pads. Since stock large pads are too large for you, comfort should not be an issue.

2. Yes, the pads from Meze are not very durable. My Sundara pads are 2 years old and still in great condition. Brainwavz pads on my M50x are almost 3 years old and still pretty usable. Compared to those Meze pads for me tend to last for 1 or 1 and a half years on regular use.

My recommendation would be to get the Meze small pads if you like the stock sound signature and Brainwavz Oval PU Leather for a different sound signature.

Guess I'll go with the Brainwavz. Thank you very much!

EDIT: you mean these ones right?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brainwavz-...6,B08CKRX2R5,B07238XHCX,B07FSPNJH6,B06Y52DSYX

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #7,331 of 7,677

I believe the Oval is a style, while PU leather is one of the covering options in that line. I think you can get oval pads in PU leather, velour or a hybrid combination. I'm rocking the hybrids (PU leather, including perforated inside the cup, with velour where the pad touches the skin) and like them a lot, but I also know velour is polarizing. Some people like me love the feel against the skin; others find it hot or itchy.

The pads I'm using: https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/collections/headphone-pads/products/headphone-pad-hybrid

Oct 14, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #7,332 of 7,677
@pk4425 I've got a similar plan to yours. Currently have Sundara for "reference" listening and 99C for "fun" use. Will upgrade from Sundara to Arya or Clear and 99C to Aeon 2 Closed or something in the near future.

I tried Brainwavz oval pads (basic) a few months ago. They were more comfortable than the stock large pads, increased stage size and cleaned up the mids but the bass became too loose and the headphone lost some of that fun, relaxing character when listening to music. Those pads worked well for gaming though.
I hear you, man, literally and metaphorically. The mids and treble do lose a bit of energy with the Brainwavz, but I'm willing to make that compromise for three reasons.

1. The excessive bass bleed into the mids drives me nuts. I never really noticed it when I first bought the 99 Classics because I was coming from cans with very V-shaped, consumer-oriented sound, such as the Audio-Technica M40x and Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H4. A lot of bass felt normal to me. Then I bought the HiFiMan HE-400se and discovered what a more balanced tonal signature really sounds like. I've been VERY sensitive to excess bass -- and crispy treble -- since then.

2. The Brainwavz pads are so much more comfortable for my weird ears than the stock Meze pads.

3. There's still more than enough of a difference in the sound signatures between my HE-400se and modified 99 Classics, even with less bass bloat in the Mezes. So, it doesn't feel like I'm listening to a very similar sound signature from separate headphones, which I would consider a waste of money. As I heard the changed sound in the Mezes with the Brainwavz, I wondered out loud, "Holy crap, what if these sound almost like my 400se's?" I know it sounds weird, but I was almost relieved when I listened to the same test tracks with my HE-400se after hearing them on the modified Mezes, and there still was a very distinct difference between the sound signatures of the two cans.

Oct 14, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #7,333 of 7,677
I believe the Oval is a style, while PU leather is one of the covering options in that line. I think you can get oval pads in PU leather, velour or a hybrid combination. I'm rocking the hybrids (PU leather, including perforated inside the cup, with velour where the pad touches the skin) and like them a lot, but I also know velour is polarizing. Some people like me love the feel against the skin; others find it hot or itchy.

The pads I'm using: https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/collections/headphone-pads/products/headphone-pad-hybrid

I think it’s the perforation on the inside that tames the bass. But not fully sure since I did not compare against other Bainwavz pads.

Not sure if the velour on the outside changes anything, might be only for feel on the ear.

Also I think the leather pads come without the perforation so they might have similar bass like the stock pads???

Oct 17, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #7,334 of 7,677
Hi. Where can you buy replacement pads? Mine are losing the outer shiny covering, and although they work, they leave bits everywhere. I'm in the UK. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #7,335 of 7,677

Users who are viewing this thread

Back