Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Feb 11, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #6,886 of 7,704
AFAIK custom cable makers can use any connector that the customer desires, so they certainly can use similar connectors. The 99's aren't the only headphones with recessed connectors, and the plug itself is merely a 3.5mm TS. Here's an example of compatible connectors : https://www.ebay.com/i/113871193058?chn=ps
My answer was to your question of the 99s fitting in it's case with the cable attached or a suitable plug that would allow such... Cable makers would gladly build you a cable IF there were connectors available to meet your needs, but there are none available. Most headphones that have a recessed jack have them located on the bottom of the cup, not parallel to the side of the cup.

That linked cable would work if you don't mind a fair bit of the gold shaft and the shell sticking out, it kind of takes away from the aesthetics of the 99s IMHO.
They would look similar to these (not my picture). Like everything in this hobby, if it's acceptable to you then that's all that matters.
Cropped Eidolic.jpg

Feb 11, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #6,887 of 7,704
My Hart Audio cable shows a bit also.
IMG_2817.JPG
IMG_2819.JPG

Feb 11, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #6,888 of 7,704
My answer was to your question of the 99s fitting in it's case with the cable attached or a suitable plug that would allow such... Cable makers would gladly build you a cable IF there were connectors available to meet your needs, but there are none available. Most headphones that have a recessed jack have them located on the bottom of the cup, not parallel to the side of the cup.

That linked cable would work if you don't mind a fair bit of the gold shaft and the shell sticking out, it kind of takes away from the aesthetics of the 99s IMHO.
They would look similar to these (not my picture). Like everything in this hobby, if it's acceptable to you then that's all that matters.
Cropped Eidolic.jpg
Are those the stock ear pads? They look a little chunkier than stock. If not stock, what are they? How did they change the sound signature? Sorry for the threadjack, and thanks!

Feb 11, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #6,889 of 7,704
Are those the stock ear pads? They look a little chunkier than stock. If not stock, what are they? How did they change the sound signature? Sorry for the threadjack, and thanks!
Sorry I don't know. I stated " (not my picture) " in that post as it was just an example of non standard plugs. I imagine they are stock, no aftermarket pad (that I am aware of) has the same perfect fit. They might be the original pads that came with the 99s before Meze changed them.

Feb 11, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #6,890 of 7,704
Sorry I don't know. I stated " (not my picture) " in that post as it was just an example of non standard plugs. I imagine they are stock, no aftermarket pad (that I am aware of) has the same perfect fit. They might be the original pads that came with the 99s before Meze changed them.

Thanks. I think the original pads were thinner than the current pads, which are still a bit snug for big ears. I know Brainwavz makes a pad that supposedly fits the 99 Classics well.

Feb 11, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #6,891 of 7,704
Thanks. I think the original pads were thinner than the current pads, which are still a bit snug for big ears. I know Brainwavz makes a pad that supposedly fits the 99 Classics well.
I have some Brainwavz pads and they do not have the same fit as Meze pads as the attachment area has a bigger diameter than the cup.

Feb 11, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #6,892 of 7,704
Hi. I have the 99 Classics, which I use on a FiiO M11 Pro DAP and the iFi iDSD Signature AMP/DAC. Is there any consensus as to the next step up, that builds on the 99's? My budget is about £650.00.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #6,893 of 7,704
Hi. I have the 99 Classics, which I use on a FiiO M11 Pro DAP and the iFi iDSD Signature AMP/DAC. Is there any consensus as to the next step up, that builds on the 99's?

It depends on your budget for upgrades. But if I were you (assuming that you do not wish to swap any existing product just yet), I'd most likely change a headphone cable.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Feb 11, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #6,895 of 7,704
Have there been any revisions of the 99 Classics, or is it exactly the same headphone from the beginning ? Thanks.

The pads have changed once or twice since the original model debuted. Went from thinner on original model to thicker. Something makes me think maybe Meze has moved to a thickness between the original and Mark II for a third version, but I could be wrong about that.

Feb 11, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #6,896 of 7,704
Hi. I have the 99 Classics, which I use on a FiiO M11 Pro DAP and the iFi iDSD Signature AMP/DAC. Is there any consensus as to the next step up, that builds on the 99's?
That dac seems to have a 4.4mm balanced output.

I can't recommend it enough but: get the 99 Classics silver plated balanced upgrade Cable by Meze.

It's awesome 😎

Feb 12, 2021 at 5:55 AM Post #6,899 of 7,704
Thanks, but they're sold out. Anyway, I want to upgrade rather than just maximise the 99's.
Maximizing 99's are best spent money in this hobby. I might be very close to maxing out mine heavily modded 99C's and now testing against Empyreans with stock cable - on my RME ADI-2 the Empy's doesn't stand a chance. With $500+ aftermarket cable and a little bit of EQ, Empyreans might have an upper hand, but that's 3,5k total cost. So don't underestimate 99's potential, just give them the best and they'll be rewarding.

Feb 12, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #6,900 of 7,704
Maximizing 99's are best spent money in this hobby. I might be very close to maxing out mine heavily modded 99C's and now testing against Empyreans with stock cable - on my RME ADI-2 the Empy's doesn't stand a chance. With $500+ aftermarket cable and a little bit of EQ, Empyreans might have an upper hand, but that's 3,5k total cost. So don't underestimate 99's potential, just give them the best and they'll be rewarding.
What have you changed so far?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back