Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Feb 12, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #6,901 of 7,703
Right question should be, what haven't I changed - well the drivers and headband :D

Now seriously - foam inside the earcups, pads, cable and most importantly using RME ADI-2 with tons of built-in settings. Without them would be impossible to achieve this fun I'm having. So hardly duplicable if one doesn't plan to invest in it. And I would even discourage of doing exactly my tweaks, if not going to EQ them afterwards, but if anyone interested, ask or PM me.

Feb 12, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #6,902 of 7,703
Thanks, but they're sold out. Anyway, I want to upgrade rather than just maximise the 99's.

Well, if you like Meze, then the next step up is the Empyrean. They're $3,000 -- 10 times as much as the 99 Classics. :)

If I had two requests for Meze, it would be to introduce a step-up model between the 99 Classics at $300 and the Empyrean at $3,000. Maybe something in the $1,000 range to compete with Dan Clark Audio and other closed-backs in that price range or an open-back in that price range. The second request would be to market a killer ANC wireless over-ear headphone in the $300-500 range and blow the AirPods Max, Bose 700 and Sony XM4 out of the water.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #6,903 of 7,703
Right question should be, what haven't I changed - well the drivers and headband :D

Now seriously - foam inside the earcups, pads, cable and most importantly using RME ADI-2 with tons of built-in settings. Without them would be impossible to achieve this fun I'm having. So hardly duplicable if one doesn't plan to invest in it. And I would even discourage of doing exactly my tweaks, if not going to EQ them afterwards, but if anyone interested, ask or PM me.

Just curious, Wlad: What pads are you using?

P.S.: I'm a huge boxing fan. Your username reminds me of the great Wladimir Klitschko. :)

Feb 12, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #6,904 of 7,703
Well, if you like Meze, then the next step up is the Empyrean. They're $3,000 -- 10 times as much as the 99 Classics. :)

If I had two requests for Meze, it would be to introduce a step-up model between the 99 Classics at $300 and the Empyrean at $3,000. Maybe something in the $1,000 range to compete with Dan Clark Audio and other closed-backs in that price range or an open-back in that price range. The second request would be to market a killer ANC wireless over-ear headphone in the $300-500 range and blow the AirPods Max out of the water.
I really would like to hear the impressions of the Empyrean from someone who owns the 99 Classics and compared it to the Empyrean.

Feb 12, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #6,905 of 7,703
I'm not one to get into all the technical stuff, I just know what I like. I own both (99 Noirs from Drop - same thing as 99 Classics) and to me there is no comparison, the Empryeans are a better headphone in all catagories except price. I can't imagine anyone having 99's and listening for the first time to Empyreans on a decent setup and not having a big smile on their face. Bigger more articulate bass, gorgeous mids and highs that never irritate. Much, much more open sounding. Go louder more gracefully if you have the power. The other headphones I have that to me are most similar to the Empyreans are the Klipsch HP-3's (seriously!). The ony time I listen to the 99's anymore is if I don't want to bother anyone, and even then I'll probably listen to my Rai Solos.

Feb 12, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #6,906 of 7,703
I'm not one to get into all the technical stuff, I just know what I like. I own both (99 Noirs from Drop - same thing as 99 Classics) and to me there is no comparison, the Empryeans are a better headphone in all catagories except price. I can't imagine anyone having 99's and listening for the first time to Empyreans on a decent setup and not having a big smile on their face. Bigger more articulate bass, gorgeous mids and highs that never irritate. Much, much more open sounding. Go louder more gracefully if you have the power. The other headphones I have that to me are most similar to the Empyreans are the Klipsch HP-3's (seriously!). The ony time I listen to the 99's anymore is if I don't want to bother anyone, and even then I'll probably listen to my Rai Solos.

Yes the Empyrean should be a pretty awesome headphone.

I think I will buy one once I have a job xD

Feb 12, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #6,907 of 7,703
I've just received the 2.5mm cable and it seems to give a bit more top end and therefor seems to lower the perceived bass.

I've put my name down for when the silver cable comes back in stock, but wouldn't mind any suggestions for aftermarket cables.

Feb 12, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #6,908 of 7,703
I've just received the 2.5mm cable and it seems to give a bit more top end and therefor seems to lower the perceived bass.

I've put my name down for when the silver cable comes back in stock, but wouldn't mind any suggestions for aftermarket cables.
For me the silver 4.4 cable did not lower the bass.

But it extends the top end, cleans bass bleed and overall improves bass punch.

Treble and mids sound way clearer and better resolved with the silver cable. But the bass is also better resolved.

Feb 12, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #6,911 of 7,703
More treble was my first impression. I suspect any improvement is due to the higher quality cable, rather than the 2.5mm connector. I would still be interested if anyone has used a third-party cable, as I've no idea if or when Meze will get the silver one back in stock.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #6,912 of 7,703
Just curious, Wlad: What pads are you using?
Yaxi stpad2. They change the sound drastically. Higher mids&highs (from 1 kHz upwards) go up by few magnitudes and with it detail retrieval, airiness and everything associated with it. BUT also at a cost of too much edge between 1.5 - 4 kHz, which has to be tamed down, so it doesn't cause fatigue and introduce harshness into the sound. That's why EQ is needed for that.

I really would like to hear the impressions of the Empyrean from someone who owns the 99 Classics and compared it to the Empyrean.

I'm owning 99Cs for more than half a year and auditioning Empyreans for more than two weeks at home. I'm running them both from RME ADI-2 DAC, which I settled on after testing around 9 other DAC/AMP setups (portable, semi-portable, "chifi" stacks, etc.., ranging from $200-$600). And must say that even stock ADI-2 is miles ahead from everything other I tested so far, so a massive upgrade even for 99s (lesson learned - don't trust just the "measurements sect" :D).

If I'd compare stock 99s and Empys, then Empys are absolutely for those who want almost neutral (still little warmy), natural, relaxing and fluidy music. And for those who want primarily emphasized (middle)bass and don't mind less detailed & less open sound, 99s are still a better option with my gear.

Thing is that 99s can be turned into absolutely different headphones, if you change everything surrounding the drivers (foam, pads, cable). And mine 99s doesn't sound like stock 99s at all - it's a complete redesigned sound, by hardware and also software means (by RME's EQ and other settings).
So if I compare my current 99s with stock Empys, well.. I was in a denial for about a week, because I so wanted to like and buy Empyreans, but then slowly came to conclusion that my 99s are for my taste as good or better in almost every regard. Especially for the highs - more vivid and sparkly. I also invited my girlfriend to have a comparison of those two for about an hour and she said the same.

But I knew that Empys are much more capable if provided by the right chain, so I ordered TOTL silver cable and gave it another chance. And yes - that cable delivered. With stock cable I didn't REALLY like the sound (not that it was bad by any means, I just knew better already), but with silver quality cable I started to love them. Currently after some extensive tweaking of EQ inside the RME for Empys as well, it's a very close call. I love them both equally. I'd say that the presentation of sound is different, 99 is more intense right inside my head, Empy is more relaxing, more natural and open sounding. I'd say it has a lot to do with driver placement from ears - drivers from 99s are almost touching my ears (with Yaxipads), whereas Empys have a very wide gap thanks to superthick earpads.

One thing to note is that with some higher-tier dedicated amp, Empys would probably scale much better than 99s, since I believe that my current chain is bottlenecked by the AMP section of the RME. But anyway, it's the best AMP I've heard by FAR.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #6,913 of 7,703
More treble was my first impression. I suspect any improvement is due to the higher quality cable, rather than the 2.5mm connector. I would still be interested if anyone has used a third-party cable, as I've no idea if or when Meze will get the silver one back in stock.
Both the used materials of the cable change the sound as well as the second ground connection of the balanced cable.

Feb 12, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #6,914 of 7,703
Yaxi stpad2. They change the sound drastically. Higher mids&highs (from 1 kHz upwards) go up by few magnitudes and with it detail retrieval, airiness and everything associated with it. BUT also at a cost of too much edge between 1.5 - 4 kHz, which has to be tamed down, so it doesn't cause fatigue and introduce harshness into the sound. That's why EQ is needed for that.

I'm owning 99Cs for more than half a year and auditioning Empyreans for more than two weeks at home. I'm running them both from RME ADI-2 DAC, which I settled on after testing around 9 other DAC/AMP setups (portable, semi-portable, "chifi" stacks, etc.., ranging from $200-$600). And must say that even stock ADI-2 is miles ahead from everything other I tested so far, so a massive upgrade even for 99s (lesson learned - don't trust just the "measurements sect" :D).

If I'd compare stock 99s and Empys, then Empys are absolutely for those who want almost neutral (still little warmy), natural, relaxing and fluidy music. And for those who want primarily emphasized (middle)bass and don't mind less detailed & less open sound, 99s are still a better option with my gear.

Thing is that 99s can be turned into absolutely different headphones, if you change everything surrounding the drivers (foam, pads, cable). And mine 99s doesn't sound like stock 99s at all - it's a complete redesigned sound, by hardware and also software means (by RME's EQ and other settings).
So if I compare my current 99s with stock Empys, well.. I was in a denial for about a week, because I so wanted to like and buy Empyreans, but then slowly came to conclusion that my 99s are for my taste as good or better in almost every regard. Especially for the highs - more vivid and sparkly. I also invited my girlfriend to have a comparison of those two for about an hour and she said the same.

But I knew that Empys are much more capable if provided by the right chain, so I ordered TOTL silver cable and gave it another chance. And yes - that cable delivered. With stock cable I didn't REALLY like the sound (not that it was bad by any means, I just knew better already), but with silver quality cable I started to love them. Currently after some extensive tweaking of EQ inside the RME for Empys as well, it's a very close call. I love them both equally. I'd say that the presentation of sound is different, 99 is more intense right inside my head, Empy is more relaxing, more natural and open sounding. I'd say it has a lot to do with driver placement from ears - drivers from 99s are almost touching my ears (with Yaxipads), whereas Empys have a very wide gap thanks to superthick earpads.

One thing to note is that with some higher-tier dedicated amp, Empys would probably scale much better than 99s, since I believe that my current chain is bottlenecked by the AMP section of the RME. But anyway, it's the best AMP I've heard by FAR.
Wow very interesting thorough review.

I really have to test the Empyrean some day on a dac like yours and make up my own mind about them.

Sadly the adi2 dac does not support mqa. Since I'm using tidal I really need the mqa functionality.

Edit: I just saw that the adi2 has no balanced outputs for headphones.
1000€ dac/amp and no balanced output? :frowning2:

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #6,915 of 7,703
Wow very interesting thorough review.

I really have to test the Empyrean some day on a dac like yours and make up my own mind about them.

Sadly the adi2 dac does not support mqa. Since I'm using tidal I really need the mqa functionality.

Edit: I just saw that the adi2 has no balanced outputs for headphones.
1000€ dac/amp and no balanced output? :frowning2:

Why do u need balanced output? I'd take 1k single ended amp over 1k balanced amp. Everytime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back