Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jul 22, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #5,806 of 7,704
I am glad Meze decided to (finally) listen to feedback and start selling the original pads again, not only to give the 99 Classics back it's well received sound but to give me some piece of mind knowing that if mine wear out I can buy new ones.

Are the original classic pads the ones being sold as standard or small here? https://mezeaudio.com/products/earpads?variant=30892475922

Also, are they the pads that came with the 99 Noir on Drop? I am using the smaller pads on my 99 Noir.

Jul 22, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #5,807 of 7,704
FYI, Amazon has the pads as well on Prime and you don't have to pay the Meze shipping cost plus faster shipping

Jul 22, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #5,808 of 7,704
I just installed the YAXI stPad2 earpads on my Meze 99 Classics which are connected to my FiiO K3 using the balanced output and the balanced cable from Meze.
The sound is pretty much perfect for me to be honest, the bass doesn't bleed into the midrange anymore.
Really happy with them.

Jul 22, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #5,809 of 7,704
Jul 22, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #5,810 of 7,704
I just installed the YAXI stPad2 earpads on my Meze 99 Classics which are connected to my FiiO K3 using the balanced output and the balanced cable from Meze.
The sound is pretty much perfect for me to be honest, the bass doesn't bleed into the midrange anymore.
Really happy with them.
If they were more readily available I would try them out

Jul 22, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #5,811 of 7,704
If they were more readily available I would try them out
I understand.
Honestly i was a bit disappointed when I received the Meze, it was good, but the bass bleed was too much for me with the new pads.
It cost me a bit to buy the Yaxi earpads (~40€) without knowing if they were going to be effective or not.
It took 2 weeks to come from Japan to France and I am very satisfied with it.

Jul 22, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #5,813 of 7,704
These, listed as the small pads?
https://www.amazon.com/Earpads-Meze-99-Classics-Neo/dp/B07RMXPG9F?th=1&psc=1

Same as the extra pads that come with the 99 Noir?

Sorry, just looking for some clarification.

Looking at the pictures, yes, they are the original sized pads that come with the Noir. However...

Are the Small pads offered here the same as the "original" 99 Classics pads from a few years ago?
Answer:
Hello,

The small pads are similar to the "original" 99 Classics earpads with improved comfort.
With this new pair will lower the bass and will increase the mids and the upper mids

If you have questions left, don't hesitate in contacting us.
I wish you a great day!

Regards,
MezeAudio

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #5,814 of 7,704
Hmm, I think I recall some time ago in this thread, when it was discovered Meze was releasing a smaller pad, that these pads were actually a 4th installment? Well, actually a 5th I believe. Someone said they weren't the same as the originals, or the smaller set that comes with the Noir. Does anyone actually know, or have every pad to compare? I think the measurements were all slightly different between the original, Noir, and new small pads.

Jul 22, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #5,815 of 7,704
Looking at the pictures, yes, they are the original sized pads that come with the Noir. However...

Are the Small pads offered here the same as the "original" 99 Classics pads from a few years ago?
Answer:
Hello,

The small pads are similar to the "original" 99 Classics earpads with improved comfort.
With this new pair will lower the bass and will increase the mids and the upper mids

If you have questions left, don't hesitate in contacting us.
I wish you a great day!

Regards,
MezeAudio

So, is my math right here:

Original 99 classic pads = extra set that came with Drop’s 99 Noir (not installed on them in the box) = pads being sold By Meze/Amazon as Small (https://www.amazon.com/Earpads-Meze-99-Classics-Neo/dp/B07RMXPG9F?th=1&psc=1)

Small 61 mm height x 44 mm width x 21 mm depth: ±1mm

Jul 22, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #5,816 of 7,704
So, is my math right here:

Original 99 classic pads = extra set that came with Drop’s 99 Noir (not installed on them in the box) = pads being sold By Meze/Amazon as Small (https://www.amazon.com/Earpads-Meze-99-Classics-Neo/dp/B07RMXPG9F?th=1&psc=1)

Small 61 mm height x 44 mm width x 21 mm depth: ±1mm
If the new Meze small pads are more comfortable than the original 99 Classics pads, they have to have a larger inner diameter. That was the main complaint that forced the change.

Jul 22, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #5,817 of 7,704
If the new Meze small pads are more comfortable than the original 99 Classics pads, they have to have a larger inner diameter. That was the main complaint that forced the change.

Or they simply use a different grade of memory foam. :thinking:

Jul 22, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #5,820 of 7,704
Which would still slightly alter the sound..... I think? Lol

Yes, internal material matters.

Seeing how they are only $20, I just might grab a pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back