Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jan 4, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #4,696 of 7,695
I had a custom pure Silver cable from Triton Audio and switched to the basic SPC cable. I actually noticed better mids and it was a bit warmer sounding. YMMW and I didn't mind the TA cable sound either way, I do prefer the Meze SPC cable. I put the TA cable on my 4xx.

Jan 4, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #4,697 of 7,695
Yes, I agree. But who knows, maybe @bcaulf17 's ears will fit in the new pads better and thus the effects you describe (and I too hear) are not present for him. To my ears, the larger pads don't sound bad, it's just by having the originals to compare I can safely say why I, and others, prefer them.

Basically with the original pads they sound like a closed wooden backed HD 600. With the new pads the 99 Classics sound more like a closed wooden back AKG Q701 with bass boost. Basically the sound becomes less intimate and more airy, but with that bass that just doesn't quit.

Things that help tame/control the bass of the new pads: Quality DAC/AMP, none of this smartphone business. Upgraded cable to OCC copper, preferably balanced. EQ the bass down.

:metal::sunglasses:
Thank you for your reply. I guess it wouldn’t hurt to try them at least, right? It’s either return them if I don’t like them, or if I like them more than H6 then keep the Meze and try to sell the H6...I feel like I’ll like the overall signature of the Meze more, just really hoping the bass isn’t a letdown.

Jan 5, 2019 at 5:35 AM Post #4,698 of 7,695
More and more lately I’ve been thinking I want to try this headphone. I’ve been reading a lot about it, various reviews, posts on the internet. My recent HD6XX has kind of turned me on to a more relaxed and warm signature, while my current office closed back (H6 Gen 2), which definitely has good quality, just for whatever reason hasn’t been sitting with me. I do like it, but I’ve been trying for a long time to love it. It lacks the thickness of the mids that the HD6XX has. What I wanna do is at least try the 99 Classics to see if I prefer it. And then if I don’t, just send it back.

I know the obvious concern is the bass; apparently it’s out of whack with the new pads. But when people say that, I wonder what it’s relative too. Is it like crazy Beats bass? Is it just slightly more than the HD6XX? I do kind of prefer a slight bass emphasis, but not if it’s overbearing or throws the whole sound off...

In addition, while I do like a bit of a bass tilt I still want the music to sound natural; the 6XX is great because it has very little color and presents the music close to how it’s supposed to sound.
Is it possible that what you're liking about the 6XX over the H6 is the open back vs closed? I don't own an 650, but I have the 58X. Along side my H6, these are far and away my favorite cans. I've demoed, purchased and returned more closed backs in this price range than I care to mention. The thing that stands out to me about the H6 is that for a closed back, it actually has some Soundstage. Much more than any other I've tried.

Jan 5, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #4,699 of 7,695
Is it possible that what you're liking about the 6XX over the H6 is the open back vs closed? I don't own an 650, but I have the 58X. Along side my H6, these are far and away my favorite cans. I've demoed, purchased and returned more closed backs in this price range than I care to mention. The thing that stands out to me about the H6 is that for a closed back, it actually has some Soundstage. Much more than any other I've tried.
What I like about the HD6XX, which I have learned to really appreciate, is it’s midrange. It has depth and body, and it sounds full. The H6 kinda sounds like the lower mids were sucked out a little. Guitars don’t have much muscle. The 6XX just sounds more natural (this probably being a trait of the open back). I also just find the HD6XX more relaxing. Don’t get me wrong, I think the H6 sounds great, but I’m wondering if the Meze would give me some of that warmth in the midrange I’ve come to love.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #4,700 of 7,695
What I like about the HD6XX, which I have learned to really appreciate, is it’s midrange. It has depth and body, and it sounds full. The H6 kinda sounds like the lower mids were sucked out a little. Guitars don’t have much muscle. The 6XX just sounds more natural (this probably being a trait of the open back). I also just find the HD6XX more relaxing. Don’t get me wrong, I think the H6 sounds great, but I’m wondering if the Meze would give me some of that warmth in the midrange I’ve come to love.

I think you have just described why I like my Meze 99 Neo more than my H6.

As for soundstage, my Shure SRH1540 gives me the most soundstage for a closed headphone.

Jan 5, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #4,702 of 7,695
If that’s what you like about the Meze, then maybe I should give them a try. It’s the only way I’ll know for sure.

Don't forget... I am talking about the Neo which I prefer to the Classic.

Jan 5, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #4,704 of 7,695
I think you have just described why I like my Meze 99 Neo more than my H6.

As for soundstage, my Shure SRH1540 gives me the most soundstage for a closed headphone.
I take no issues with the mids on the H6. Guitars sound great imo. The 1540 is in a different price bracket. I've only owned the Classics with the new pads, and I thought it sounded not great. Definitely like the H6 better.

Jan 5, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #4,705 of 7,695
I take no issues with the mids on the H6. Guitars sound great imo. The 1540 is in a different price bracket. I've only owned the Classics with the new pads, and I thought it sounded not great. Definitely like the H6 better.
The H6 is one of those headphones where sometimes I’ll listen to them and really enjoy them, while other times I’m not feeling it for some reason. I think the sound of it is good, but everything is a little light. Listening to Queen, for example, May’s guitar work has good sound, but doesn’t have great presence, if that makes sense. It’s odd. But at the same time there aren’t many closed back options that sound as good as the H6, and I think everything in that bracket depends on the preferred sound profile of others.

Jan 5, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #4,706 of 7,695
The H6 is one of those headphones where sometimes I’ll listen to them and really enjoy them, while other times I’m not feeling it for some reason. I think the sound of it is good, but everything is a little light. Listening to Queen, for example, May’s guitar work has good sound, but doesn’t have great presence, if that makes sense. It’s odd. But at the same time there aren’t many closed back options that sound as good as the H6, and I think everything in that bracket depends on the preferred sound profile of others.
Makes sense to me. Seems everything else I've heard, closed back in this price range, is either too high or low mid focused, making guitars sound unnatural in one way or another. Or they're overly bright up top, or muddy down low. With the 99 classics, I believe you will get a more mid forward sound than the H6, especially where guitars exist. Unfortunately, you will need the old pads imo. With the new pads, the bass seemed over cooked and ran interference with the mids to my ears. I prefer a more balanced attack, with energy and excitement for rock music. Separation is very important to me as well, and with the new pads, it seems some of this was lost. I think the originals would be close to what you and I both seek.

Jan 5, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #4,707 of 7,695
There are three obsessions in this site that I could not understand at all:

1) why people have so many headphones. Can not find only one pair and be happy with it?

2) why they are so obsessed with balanced cables

3) why are so much obsessed with pads, should not change the sound so much so in order to consider buying a headphone

Well a year later:

1) after buying 5 in a row in a single year it seems I understand well the point now

2) after using almost all of them with balanced cables I also getting this point as well

And finally
3) as I finally decided to give in and try some new velour brainwavz pads to my Neo after reading a review on Amazon I must say that this I did not see it coming...

I love velour pads for various reasons but what they do to Neo is a complete transformation. I did not like it a lot because I am listening a lot of house music and I personally think the bass on Neo is too overwelming with the original pads. These velour pads change this behaviour considerably . The sound is so much better, clearer now the only problem is that I cannot place them properly on the headphone, now the neo seems much uglier no silver lines appearing on the outside. I am definitely doing something wrong or just these pads cannot be placed like the originals.

I am pretty sure though that many will not like these pads soundwise because we all have different preferences. This is why I believe Meze should have placed two three different pads on the box something similar to audioquest in order to satisfy different tastes. If some generic velour pads change the sound so much I trust Meze can do better .

So the first myth that Meze cannot have a synergy with velour pads is not true for me.

The second myth is that Meze 99 as a so sensitive phone cannot be benefit from a good amplification and is not highly scalable. This myth also have been eliminated by using the fabulous and powerful xCan. Both classics and neo sound so much better with it and that even in comparison with the also magical xDSD. For me clearly illustrates how important good amplification is and still one of the most important blocks in the chain even for easy to drive headphones. Even with the original pads moving from es100 to xCan makes a considerable difference to how much better defined the bass can be ( but more to this in my upcoming review). But with the new pads the combination is simply magic.

I start to believe that the also amazing sound quality coming from 58x and 6xx has something to do with their magnificent velour pads.

IMG_20190106_095256829.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #4,708 of 7,695
Makes sense to me. Seems everything else I've heard, closed back in this price range, is either too high or low mid focused, making guitars sound unnatural in one way or another. Or they're overly bright up top, or muddy down low. With the 99 classics, I believe you will get a more mid forward sound than the H6, especially where guitars exist. Unfortunately, you will need the old pads imo. With the new pads, the bass seemed over cooked and ran interference with the mids to my ears. I prefer a more balanced attack, with energy and excitement for rock music. Separation is very important to me as well, and with the new pads, it seems some of this was lost. I think the originals would be close to what you and I both seek.
Yes, I love balance as well, and neutrality is nice because you get a better sense of how things should sound. Now the H6 certainly has some colored regions but not overly so. It still keeps its balance. At the same time a little color can go a long way. Slight colorations in the HD6XX give it that irresistible sound, but it still manages to be close enough to neutral to be considered reference quality. The Oppo PM3 was close to this too but the treble didnt have much air it seems (another headphone I’d like to hear someday.)

I probably would’ve gravitated towards the Fostex TH-X00. One of the best closed backs on the market but it has poor isolation because of holes/vents on the headphone so I probably wouldn’t be able to use it at work, which is a shame. That headphone is more v-shaped but it’s supposedly done right.

Jan 5, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #4,709 of 7,695
I didn’t refer back to see what amp you’re using but a tube amp fixes a lot of issues...... with the correct tube of course.
A lot of the tubes i use for the 99 Classic are brighter up top and a few are lighter on the bass which tweeks the sound enough where at times it can rival a pad swap. With the correct tube alone, I can manipulate the deficiencies of any particular HP enough where it’s very noticeable. Tubes aren’t perfect but they’re a godsend for me quite often.
I still think the 99 Classic is an excellent headphone and it will never be sold or traded. That's that! :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #4,710 of 7,695
I didn’t refer back to see what amp you’re using but a tube amp fixes a lot of issues...... with the correct tube of course.
A lot of the tubes i use for the 99 Classic are brighter up top and a few are lighter on the bass which tweeks the sound enough where at times it can rival a pad swap. With the correct tube alone, I can manipulate the deficiencies of any particular HP enough where it’s very noticeable. Tubes aren’t perfect but they’re a godsend for me quite often.
I still think the 99 Classic is an excellent headphone and it will never be sold or traded. That's that! :smile_phones:
I just agree, 99 Classic are fanstic but when I use them with my Darkvoice they are sooooooooo good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back