Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jan 1, 2019 at 1:37 AM Post #4,666 of 7,677
Found these brainwavz pads on amazon and they looked intresting... they have the same foam layer of the original smaller pads and look to be decent replacements but they may or may not fit the 99C's. They also look a bit thinner so they could sound worse that some of the other replacement pads mentioned.

Sheepskin: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FSPNJH6
Pleather: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FSMCMVC

Jan 1, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #4,670 of 7,677
Jan 1, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #4,671 of 7,677
Found these brainwavz pads on amazon and they looked intresting... they have the same foam layer of the original smaller pads and look to be decent replacements but they may or may not fit the 99C's. They also look a bit thinner so they could sound worse that some of the other replacement pads mentioned.

Sheepskin: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FSPNJH6
Pleather: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FSMCMVC

Depth and height look just about perfect, but the width may be an issue. When I was going through my pad journey I found that smaller width pads like ATH-M50X and generic ATH-MSR7's would sound compressed even though the rest of the sound signature was more neutral. I think it may have to do with the vents being blocked near the corners. With regards to pads, I think it's going to be hard to find anything better than the Yaxi stPads, at least until Meze themselves come up with a new pad (if they don't mess it up..). I welcome anyone else to purchase pads and give us their impressions though :dt880smile:

Jan 1, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #4,672 of 7,677
I think I just found a new favourite closed back: Beyerdynamic T5p.2 (used). Just amazing sound and plays everything well. And just like the 99's, I can't use high gain on balanced out (Sony DAP). Ridiculously easy to drive.

But the 99's are WAY prettier.:ksc75smile:

Shane D

Jan 2, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #4,673 of 7,677
So I'm thinking of getting these to pair with a pair of Ety HF's but am having some reservations. When I tested out the 99 classics, the bass was rather "flat" when driven by my phone (Sony z5c). This is worrisome because I'm looking for something a more 3D soundstage, more bass quantity (a must, though not at the expense of quality) and comfort. Am I looking at the wrong headphone?

Jan 2, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #4,674 of 7,677
Old pads, yes?
Screenshot_2019-01-02-13-36-10.png
Screenshot_2019-01-02-13-35-51.png

Jan 2, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #4,677 of 7,677
So I'm thinking of getting these to pair with a pair of Ety HF's but am having some reservations. When I tested out the 99 classics, the bass was rather "flat" when driven by my phone (Sony z5c). This is worrisome because I'm looking for something a more 3D soundstage, more bass quantity (a must, though not at the expense of quality) and comfort. Am I looking at the wrong headphone?
The bass on the Meze 99 Classics is far from flat. It’s known for its huge bass response (at least the latest revision with the newer pads.) Wonder if the one you tried is an older version or if the DAC in your phone is weak.

Jan 2, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #4,678 of 7,677
The bass on the Meze 99 Classics is far from flat. It’s known for its huge bass response (at least the latest revision with the newer pads.) Wonder if the one you tried is an older version or if the DAC in your phone is weak.
I've trawled through a few posts here. Can't find any clear distinctions between old and newer revisions. Are there any tell tale signs, particularly in sound or presentation?
As for the DAC, it's not a bother. My phone drives my Ety's just fine and I'm happy about that. I'll be using my next headphone primarily from home to listen to music/watch shows and game a bit (nothing competitive or even online). As such, soundstage is more important for me. In the past, I was using a pair of Samson SR850s which were serviceable but unfortunately the clamping force was too much for me (I wear glasses). These were open back, but I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of soundstage for comfort and isolation. I feel like based on reviews, the classics will be a good fit for me but it'd be nice to get a few more opinions.

Jan 2, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #4,679 of 7,677
I've trawled through a few posts here. Can't find any clear distinctions between old and newer revisions. Are there any tell tale signs, particularly in sound or presentation?
As for the DAC, it's not a bother. My phone drives my Ety's just fine and I'm happy about that. I'll be using my next headphone primarily from home to listen to music/watch shows and game a bit (nothing competitive or even online). As such, soundstage is more important for me. In the past, I was using a pair of Samson SR850s which were serviceable but unfortunately the clamping force was too much for me (I wear glasses). These were open back, but I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of soundstage for comfort and isolation. I feel like based on reviews, the classics will be a good fit for me but it'd be nice to get a few more opinions.
If you go on InnerFidelity, Tyll originally reviewed and praised the 99 Classics and had them pegged as one of the best options in their price range. Many people felt they were uncomfortable however. To address this, Meze re-released the 99 Classics with larger pads. While they did make the headphones more comfortable, they negatively affected the sound of the headphone (at least to most people’s opinion), as the headphone wasn’t re-tuned to accomidate the larger pads. Tyll went back and made new measurements with the new pads, and noted that they overblew the bass response.

I would love to hear the Meze 99 some time but I’m hesitant to buy them because opinions and comments of the headphone are so varied. Visually, the new pads are thicker and wrinkled on the inside.

Jan 4, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #4,680 of 7,677
More and more lately I’ve been thinking I want to try this headphone. I’ve been reading a lot about it, various reviews, posts on the internet. My recent HD6XX has kind of turned me on to a more relaxed and warm signature, while my current office closed back (H6 Gen 2), which definitely has good quality, just for whatever reason hasn’t been sitting with me. I do like it, but I’ve been trying for a long time to love it. It lacks the thickness of the mids that the HD6XX has. What I wanna do is at least try the 99 Classics to see if I prefer it. And then if I don’t, just send it back.

I know the obvious concern is the bass; apparently it’s out of whack with the new pads. But when people say that, I wonder what it’s relative too. Is it like crazy Beats bass? Is it just slightly more than the HD6XX? I do kind of prefer a slight bass emphasis, but not if it’s overbearing or throws the whole sound off...

In addition, while I do like a bit of a bass tilt I still want the music to sound natural; the 6XX is great because it has very little color and presents the music close to how it’s supposed to sound.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back