Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Dec 7, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #4,591 of 7,697
The 99 Series Copper and Silver 7N cables are 2.5 TRRS balanced cables and clearly state they come with 3.5 TRS right angle adapters in the package.

Not sure what you are so confused about...

Dec 7, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #4,592 of 7,697
The 99 Series Copper and Silver 7N cables are 2.5 TRRS balanced cables and clearly state they come with 3.5 TRS right angle adapters in the package.

Not sure what you are so confused about...

So that you can use them with 3.5mm non-balanced sources without having to change the cable, correct?

Dec 7, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #4,593 of 7,697
Correct me if I'm wrong, you want a 3.5 TRRS balanced option so the cable will be continue to take advantage of a balanced source that has 3.5 TRRS input? A 3.5 TRRS termination will not play audio through both channels through any device with standard 3.5 connection. You need a device that has a 3.5 balanced input. Pretty rare AFAIK.

If you do happen to have a device that accepts 3.5 balanced input then you can buy an adapter from VEClan, pretty sure I actually have a 2.5 to 3.5 TRRS adapter I accidentally bought from them before I fully understood how balanced works that I can ship to you for free.

If your sourse doesn't not support balanced input then a balanced cable will add nothing except premium feel, this is not Mezes fault, this is your sources issue...lol.

Also, want to add, when I said buy adapters like XLR/4.4, I meant from another source. Not directly Meze as they don't sell them.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #4,594 of 7,697
So that you can use them with 3.5mm non-balanced sources without having to change the cable, correct?
Yes. That's why I buy only 2.5 balanced now so I can use with my balanced sources and add an adapter (I have iBasso and Fiio adapters) and use with my unbalanced sources. I lose the "balanced" benefit but less cable swapping between sources

Dec 7, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #4,595 of 7,697
I bought a balanced cable on Amazon as I needed the longer headphone inserts and a 4.4mm termination for my Sony. I ended up buying what they called the Denon cable. Works great. I didn't want to buy any cable that would require an adapter in the middle.

Shane D

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #4,596 of 7,697
I bought a balanced cable on Amazon as I needed the longer headphone inserts and a 4.4mm termination for my Sony. I ended up buying what they called the Denon (and I think Beyerdynamic) cable. Works great. I didn't want to buy any cable that would require an adapter in the middle.

Shane D
Yeah I have a 300a coming in this coming Monday. Just going to use the Ibasso Adapter to 4.4

Link to said cable?

Dec 7, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #4,597 of 7,697
Yeah I have a 300a coming in this coming Monday. Just going to use the Ibasso Adapter to 4.4

Link to said cable?

I will go hunting on my Amazon accounts...

Shane D

Dec 7, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #4,598 of 7,697
Dec 8, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #4,599 of 7,697
Just got my Meze 99 Classics in today after being disappointed with the Master & Dynamic MH40. First impressions these are better in almost every way. Sound for me is spot on, comfort is really good. My only gripe is I wish the cups rotated so that they would have a flatter profile for storage in a backpack. I feel like I'm going to have these for a long time.

Dec 10, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #4,600 of 7,697
For the last two years I've been using Ultrasone HFI-580's as my main headphones, and in finally purchasing my first high quality DAP I decided I wanted a headphone that sounded "better" for music types that have a vocal emphasis. I didn't know exactly what sound I was looking for, I just knew that the 580's were fantastic at EDM music but a bit hollowed out with vocals. I also have the Audio Technica ATH-M50x's, but I always preferred the Ultrasones due to their larger sound stage and clarity. I did a lot of research, and based on reviews it seemed that the 99 Classics would be an improvement in possibly every way over the 580's.

When I got my 99 Classics (June 2018, 3rd ear pad version?) my first impression was that they were very bass heavy, but the rest of the sound had something magical to it. Music usually sounds great, but any songs with heavy repeating bass are just ruined. The problem isn't the bass quantity, it's that the bass becomes far emphasized over everything else in the song, coupled with a very long bass decay. A song like Daft Punk's "Get Lucky" becomes almost one long bass note where the bass is much louder than the vocals and all other instruments in the song. I hoped that burn in may fix the issue, but over the course of several months I ended up using my 99C's less and less, and going back to my HFI-580's just because the 580's sounded better most of the time.

In an effort to "fix" the 99C's I read every comment in this thread, and that's when I learned that the ear pads are the cause of the bass bloat. I can confirm this also as if I gently push in on both sides of the headphone there is a sweet spot where all of the issues are resolved. The problem is that the sweet spot is very precise; there isn't a large range where the sound improves, so finding replacement ear pads that are exactly that spot is going to be very difficult. Knowing it wouldn't be easy I set out to find those ear pads, and below are my findings thus far. Long story short, I haven't found any ear pads that retain the original sound "magic" while fixing the bass. I'm providing my findings below in the hopes that it saves others some money.

- Generic ATH-MSR7 Pads.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DFV7XM9/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The bass is reduced down to better levels, but the overall sound becomes muffled. Not as comfortable as stock.

- Stock ATH-M50X pads. Same as above, the sound becomes muffled and the soundstage is reduced.

- Tranesca angled oval pads.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XRH8WPJ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sound becomes further away, and the bass is still a mess.

- Brainwavz HM5 Oval Memory Foam pads (Pleather).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MFDT894/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Similar to the Tranesca, sound becomes further away but the bass is very slightly less boomy. It takes the edge off of the bass just a hint, but not enough.

- Brainwavz HM5 Velour.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MFDX4YO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
COMFY, but the sound is terrible. Sounds like the music is coming from a coffee can. Bass is improved, but the rest of the sound is really bad.

- Brainwavz HM5 Hybrid (velour interior, pleather exterior).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZGGG3KY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Very comfortable. Stock, the sound is ruined in the same way as the pure velours. However, when you add some cotton gauze on the 99C drivers as suggested a few pages back (thank you for that recommendation btw), the sound becomes quite different. With this mod the entire sound becomes balanced EXCEPT that everything sounds far away. At first it's a bit jarring, but once you get used to it the sound becomes quite nice. Ultimately this isn't what I'm looking for, but it's worth mentioning that this does make the bass perfect, and the 99C's sound nice in a different way if you can just get over far off distant sound.

- Oneodio Stuido M Headphones
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CNM4X8V/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Not ear pads, but I tried swapping the ear pads from these headphones. Bass is reduced down to appropriate levels, but the sound becomes muffled a little bit. The sound isn't as muffled as the ATH-MSR7 or M50X pads, but it's still too muffled to be a long term solution.

If anyone has been satisfied with their replacement ear pads, please do share as I still want to make these headphones useful to me in some way.

Dec 11, 2018 at 7:37 AM Post #4,602 of 7,697
Sounds like you have all the answers. Re-read what I posted. I guess when you made this statement above, you did ALL your homework as well and contacted Meze about the $150 & $200 cables to see what kind of adapter ships with these cables. I did. I struggle with ignorant opinionated people that talk before they research. To help you to feel better and not struggle, show me the adapters you are talking about on Meze. Obviously I can't find them. That means Meze Customer support lied to me. You do understand male and female ends, right? I am sure there is a website that can explain it to you in detail so you don't struggle. Thats right you don't research before opening your mouth. The upgraded 99 Series cables listed on Meze that come with adapters are NOT BALANCED. Let me repeat that for your simple mind. They ARE NOT BALANCED. Go check for yourself and talk to Meze customer Service. Obviously you researched that already and know my statement is correct. Please keep your comments to yourself unless they are helpful. I will close this post just like you did "lol".
Maybe this will help ?
meze.jpg

Dec 11, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #4,603 of 7,697
Dec 11, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #4,604 of 7,697
Brainwavz Sheepskin Ovals....

Thank you for the recommendation, it is greatly appreciated. I omitted talking about those in my post as I haven't tried them yet, but I have been watching to see what others think about these. At this point I've seen an equal number of individuals say that these pads have fixed the issue, and an equal number that say it ruined the sound. I'm guessing it may be due to something in the source chain that is either making these pads work well or not at all. I may just take the plunge to see what group I would fit into, but what I'm really hoping for is to see several people recommend the same pad before I give these a go. So, if anyone else has tried these pads please do chime in.

Again, thanks for the info and recommendation.

Dec 11, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #4,605 of 7,697
Thank you for the recommendation, it is greatly appreciated. I omitted talking about those in my post as I haven't tried them yet, but I have been watching to see what others think about these. At this point I've seen an equal number of individuals say that these pads have fixed the issue, and an equal number that say it ruined the sound. I'm guessing it may be due to something in the source chain that is either making these pads work well or not at all. I may just take the plunge to see what group I would fit into, but what I'm really hoping for is to see several people recommend the same pad before I give these a go. So, if anyone else has tried these pads please do chime in.

Again, thanks for the info and recommendation.
I use brainwavz sheepskin oval pads and it's great. Bass reduced a lot.
still bassy but I suspect the reason is my galaxy s7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back