Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Dec 16, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #4,621 of 7,677
I know that it's a few revisions of meze 99 classic, pads are different. How I can understand wich version I am buying? Any notes on the box or something like this??
I think the only way is if you can see the pads. Chances are, if you're buying a new set, it will be with the new pads.

Dec 18, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #4,624 of 7,677
Just a heads up, Meze site is selling the $99 balanced cable for half off, $49.50 (doesn't include shipping which is $5 for the USA)

Dec 18, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #4,625 of 7,677
Just a heads up, Meze site is selling the $99 balanced cable for half off, $49.50 (doesn't include shipping which is $5 for the USA)

WOW!!!! That is a great deal.

Shane D

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #4,626 of 7,677
Dec 18, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #4,627 of 7,677
I didn't buy it because when you add shipping, conversion, taxes and an adapter, the price was $200.00 MINIMUM to Canada.

But at $50.00, that would be workable.

Shane D

Dec 19, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #4,629 of 7,677
- Brainwavz HM5 Hybrid (velour interior, pleather exterior).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZGGG3KY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Very comfortable. Stock, the sound is ruined in the same way as the pure velours. However, when you add some cotton gauze on the 99C drivers as suggested a few pages back (thank you for that recommendation btw), the sound becomes quite different. With this mod the entire sound becomes balanced EXCEPT that everything sounds far away. At first it's a bit jarring, but once you get used to it the sound becomes quite nice. Ultimately this isn't what I'm looking for, but it's worth mentioning that this does make the bass perfect, and the 99C's sound nice in a different way if you can just get over far off distant sound.

If anyone has been satisfied with their replacement ear pads, please do share as I still want to make these headphones useful to me in some way.

Hey there! How do you like 99c with BW Sheepskin?
I still don't like them the bass are too bloated compared to original(smaller) pads, Hybrid with mods could sound great and exactly my only problem is that it sounds far away, maybe covering the pores on the inner side of the pads could help(?),
i sold my 99c eventually though.

To be honest i'm not a fan of closed cans, but 99c with their original(smaller) pads are simply magical and one of my all time favorite cans, HD6XXs/650s are still my most favorite cans but 99c are so close!
Unfortunately i can't wear 99c long enough as they make my jaw hurt.
If only Meze re-tune 99c with a more comfortable pads(bigger and softer foam) and retain the original sound(tighter bass is a bonus), i will definitely buy them again! :smile_phones:

Dec 20, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #4,630 of 7,677
Hey there! How do you like 99c with BW Sheepskin?

I've now spent a decent amount of time with the BW Sheepskins comparing them to the stock (3rd version?) pads. My impressions on the BW sheepskins are:

• Bass decay is improved enough to where lingering bass is no longer a major issue.
  • Bass impact can still rise to uncomfortable levels depending on the song (like a pressure spike in your ear), but for most songs the bass impact is over-emphasized but improved compared to stock.
  • Bass texture/resolution is slightly increased, likely due to the reduction of lingering bass. For most songs bass notes are still just a boomy effect without a lot else too them, just improved from the stock texture/resolution.
  • The overall sound is a bit further away, but not to the level of BW Hybrid or Velour pads.
  • Highs and mids are compressed a bit. It's almost as if the entire sound stage has been pushed away , and in doing the entire sound was squeezed closer to the center. The compression is enough to alter the general sound of the headphones into something different from stock, but it's not offensive- just different.
  • Sound leaks a bit more with the BW pads, but nowhere near enough to make it a bother to others. I suspect this may be one of the reasons why the bass is improved as the sound is able to escape a bit instead of just reverberating in the pads.

I can definitely see why these pads are recommended. They do improve the bass on all fronts. But, for me the bass is still too overwhelming as a final solution. I do appreciate all the recommendations on these pads though. It's always fun to do the comparison, and they won't be going to waste as long term I'll be trying them on my other headphones until I find a perfect match. Next up for me will be the Yaxi pads whenever they arrive. I'll probably leave these BW sheepskins on until those arrive, as the BW's at least take the bass bite off in the meantime.

Hybrid with mods could sound great and exactly my only problem is that it sounds far away, maybe covering the pores on the inner side of the pads could help(?),

When I was messing around with the Hybrids I tried putting electrical tape over the outside of the pads where the pads met the ear cups (sealing the edges). This resulted in the sound getting closer while still retaining the perfectly balanced sound of the Hybrids+gauze pads. I think there may be something there, as if you continue to wrap/seal the ear pads there may be a perfect spot where the sound is exactly right, but I didn't get that far. As you would expect, electrical tape covering the pads looked pretty bad, but it was interesting what it did to the sound. I'm guessing someone could find a perfect sound with enough creative modifications to the Hybrid pads.

Unfortunately i can't wear 99c long enough as they make my jaw hurt.

Not sure if jaw pain has been mentioned in this thread yet, but I admit it happens to me too. The pain starts usually after about an hour directly below the ears. It's not enough to stop me from wearing the headphones, but it is a bother that is unique to the 99c's from the headphones I've used so far.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #4,631 of 7,677
  • Bass decay is improved enough to where lingering bass is no longer a major issue.
  • Bass impact can still rise to uncomfortable levels depending on the song (like a pressure spike in your ear), but for most songs the bass impact is over-emphasized but improved compared to stock.
  • Bass texture/resolution is slightly increased, likely due to the reduction of lingering bass. For most songs bass notes are still just a boomy effect without a lot else too them, just improved from the stock texture/resolution.
  • The overall sound is a bit further away, but not to the level of BW Hybrid or Velour pads.
  • Highs and mids are compressed a bit. It's almost as if the entire sound stage has been pushed away , and in doing the entire sound was squeezed closer to the center. The compression is enough to alter the general sound of the headphones into something different from stock, but it's not offensive- just different.
  • Sound leaks a bit more with the BW pads, but nowhere near enough to make it a bother to others. I suspect this may be one of the reasons why the bass is improved as the sound is able to escape a bit instead of just reverberating in the pads.

Compressed mids, highs, and over-emphasized bass are what put me off i mean mids and highs on 99c are their strongest points, maybe for those who haven't heard the original small pads the sound difference isn't too dramatic.
Tyll's review is pretty much what my experience was with the 99c, he also wrote/tried the newer pads and exactly on point.

When I was messing around with the Hybrids I tried putting electrical tape over the outside of the pads where the pads met the ear cups (sealing the edges). This resulted in the sound getting closer while still retaining the perfectly balanced sound of the Hybrids+gauze pads. I think there may be something there, as if you continue to wrap/seal the ear pads there may be a perfect spot where the sound is exactly right, but I didn't get that far. As you would expect, electrical tape covering the pads looked pretty bad, but it was interesting what it did to the sound. I'm guessing someone could find a perfect sound with enough creative modifications to the Hybrid pads.

Haha, yeah i think it is a bit too far might as well just buy another pair of cans, that's why after i tried BW SS and still not liking the sound, i don't think anything can replace the original pads, hence i sold them.

Not sure if jaw pain has been mentioned in this thread yet, but I admit it happens to me too. The pain starts usually after about an hour directly below the ears. It's not enough to stop me from wearing the headphones, but it is a bother that is unique to the 99c's from the headphones I've used so far.

Mine starts to develop in about 20 minutes, i'm quite sensitive on that area though.

They are not uncommon in early days with small pads, if stock pads work for you i think you don't need to swap pads as there aren't any better than stock even the latest and largest ones in term of sound. :)
Comfort though, BW Sheepskin is the most comfortable, very soft thick memory foam, large, coupled with real leather, it's hard to find anything better.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #4,632 of 7,677
IMG_20181222_205327.jpg
Yesterday I received my Meze 99 C. I decided to buy this model after reading good reviews here. Very very comfortable for me, very good sound (they are my first serious headphones). I am very happy with them. Thank you!!

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #4,635 of 7,677
I’m still holding off on swapping out my origanal pads with the newer ones. I’ve had the replacements for months but haven’t changed them out yet. The originals are decaying/deteriorating so dang fast now that the time has just about arrived. Grrrr.
I DONT want to lose my beloved daily driver for portable (about 90 minutes every single day) to such a significant change in sonic performance. Wish me luck.
I’m scared! :cold_sweat:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back