Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Mar 3, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #3,721 of 7,702
Buy new pads lol. Problem solved. Not diificult. These aren't fixed proprietary pads.

Ya just slip the lip into the groove. Ya it's pretty easy, but I still find it odd that it just fell off.
(edit: hadn't had my coffee yet, didn't see who I was replying to)

:sunglasses::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #3,722 of 7,702
Quite a few very different responses.

Is it really OK when a product of more than 300 USD value just falls apart randomly? I am not so sure, but if majority agrees this is OK, then it probably is?

Cheers.

Mar 3, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #3,723 of 7,702

Is it really OK when a product of more than 300 USD value just falls apart randomly? I am not so sure, but if majority agrees this is OK, then it probably is?

Cheers.

I am having trouble understanding exactly what has happened. Of course it should not fall apart randomly. Thing is, the way the edges go into the groove, it cannot just fall off... it has to have pulled out all the way around. Could someone else have done this?

Maybe it could happen if someone was pulling on the pads to remove the headphones from the head. I do not grab that part. Not sure how others do it but I grab the headband just above where they attach to the cup. I never actually touch the pads with my hands. I have the Neo not the Classic but it is the same construction.

Mar 3, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #3,724 of 7,702

Cheers.

HOW did it fall off? They are designed to come off and be cleaned/replaced, so that is no issue. However the pads are on snug and require force to pull the lips out of the groove, so in order to answer your question I need to know the cause: Ear pad lip too small (manufacturing flaw)? Structural damage to the ear pad? Maybe your ear caught under the pad and pulled it off and you never noticed? Housemates trying the cans? While easy to remove, they just don't randomly fall off.

EDIT: Even my very worn Grado SR 60 foam ear pads don't randomly fall off.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #3,725 of 7,702
Well, I made my 2 hour walk and all of a sudden after i arrived at home I have found my ear pad completed separated from my headphone. Took me some time to understand what happened.

To note, this was not my longest or unusual walk with Meze 99 Classic.

I have not taken any pictures of what had happened, but in fact ear pad was completely separated from head[hones. Eventually I managed to fit it back, but I do not appreciate the idea that somewhat expensive headphones are requiring such handling. Once again, if I would pay 50 USD, I would not complain much, but at > 300 USD this is not OK.

Cheers!

Mar 3, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #3,726 of 7,702
LOL, I think you are just making a big deal out of nothing. Sure it may be weird but seriously the pads are removable.

Mar 4, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #3,728 of 7,702
Well, it's not nothing. I had indeed fitted pad back to the headphone yesterday, but when today I had taken headphone from the box, pad fell off immediately again.
It almost sounds like this pad stretched somehow, or it's faulty. I've never heard of this from anyone before...at least in this thread. I think you're that .01% of people who had bad luck with these pads with this particular issue. I understand your frustration though.
How long have you had them? Meze is an awesome company and has outstanding customer service. If they're still under warranty, send them a message and I'm sure someone will be more then happy to assist you. Don't get down on this because this is just one of those weird things that hasn't happened to anyone else. :)

Mar 4, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #3,729 of 7,702
Well, it's not nothing. I had indeed fitted pad back to the headphone yesterday, but when today I had taken headphone from the box, pad fell off immediately again.

Could you possibly share a photo of the pad itself, put it back on again and take another photo?

You might want photos anyway to send to Meze if you contact them. I think they would want to see what has happened.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #3,730 of 7,702
Yeah I'm pretty sure the pad is just stretched from use somehow. It's a wear item. Replace and move on. The headphone itself still works lol

Mar 4, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #3,731 of 7,702
Are you talking about the ear pad or the whole ear cup assembly?

Mar 4, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #3,732 of 7,702
@koover
Hey, I bought a Neo based on a post by you a little earlier in this thread, thanks :thumbsup: ...I haven't seen it mentioned, but the Neo's sound improved dramatically after about 50 hours of burn-in (or a week of me getting used them LOL)

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #3,733 of 7,702
@koover
Hey, I bought a Neo based on a post by you a little earlier in this thread, thanks :thumbsup: ...I haven't seen it mentioned, but the Neo's sound improved dramatically after about 50 hours of burn-in (or a week of me getting used them LOL)
Hey man!
You're most welcome! :)
I'm thinking it's a bit of both. These are some really terrific headphones. They are my one and only on the go's (well, the 99 classic's too) and they pair so well with my Oppo HE-2. I also use them both quite often on my desktop set-up. I still can't get over how great these sound. Personally for my taste in sound signature, these both nail it. I do listen to my other HP's quite a bit but I always seem to go back to these 2.
Glad you're enjoying them! Rock on and :v:

Mar 4, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #3,734 of 7,702
Thanks a lot to all who took care to answer me!

I am now attaching pictures as requested. I fitted pad once again, let's see how it will behave tomorrow.

Pictures are attached to this message (not sure what this means, this is first time I upload any pictures).
Meze1.jpg
Meze2.jpg
Meze3.jpg
Meze4.jpg
Meze5.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #3,735 of 7,702
Pictures are attached to this message

If I am seeing this correctly, this pad does not appear to be made correctly. The part that you tuck into the groove should go all the way around. I think it is defective. Meze should send you new pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back