Metrum Pavane
Aug 5, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #437 of 682
My ears tell me that the Pavane I sold produced colored sound that lacked details. It was reasonably pleasant to listen to though if I oversampled.

Well you probably will get more of the same but maybe not as good. If the Pavane was Cees’s bear offering to date, what makes you think you’re not going to get the same thing again? Even if it is “better”, you’re going to get the same type of sound as that’s obviously his sound signature.

NOS DAC’s probably aren’t for you. If you had to oversample it to make it sound better, you gonna have to do the same thing again with this new DAC. If you want something more neutral and less colored, get yourself a Sabre based DAC.

Anyway, this is like beating a dead horse on this thread. Since this is a Metrum thread, why don’t you post your comments on the new thread that was just created?

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #438 of 682
I just want to see how Metrum DACs perform technically, I have already made my choices what I like more and what I like less. I can see another Metrum/Cees DAC in my life, but it needs to perform well within the technical constraints of the approach he's advocating. Based on what I heard I don't think the Pavane I had performed all that well, but I would like to be proven wrong.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #439 of 682
I just want to see how Metrum DACs perform technically, I have already made my choices what I like more and what I like less. I can see another Metrum/Cees DAC in my life, but it needs to perform well within the technical constraints of the approach he's advocating. Based on what I heard I don't think the Pavane I had performed all that well.

What exactly is it that you want to know? You can always email Cees directly and ask him.

Aug 5, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #440 of 682
Well you probably will get more of the same but maybe not as good. If the Pavane was Cees’s bear offering to date, what makes you think you’re not going to get the same thing again? Even if it is “better”, you’re going to get the same type of sound as that’s obviously his sound signature.

NOS DAC’s probably aren’t for you. If you had to oversample it to make it sound better, you gonna have to do the same thing again with this new DAC. If you want something more neutral and less colored, get yourself a Sabre based DAC.

Anyway, this is like beating a dead horse on this thread. Since this is a Metrum thread, why don’t you post your comments on the new thread that was just created?

Adagio is best, not Pavane.

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #442 of 682
My ears tell me that the Pavane I sold produced colored sound that lacked details. It was reasonably pleasant to listen to though if I oversampled.

Oversampling a NOS DAC is dumb. Why not just buy a Chord Hugo TT2 and an MScalar if you want to oversample?!

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #443 of 682
No it’s not. Same. I spoke to Cees before I bought it and asked him which one to go with. He said if you do not need a volume control, get the Pavane.

It is. Because it costs more and I bought one, so there :blush:

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #444 of 682
Adagio is best, not Pavane.
From what I know Adagio = Pavane + Preamp.
The new Pavane has the same number of DAC2 modules as Adagio. The specs are also same.
Btw, preamp on Adagio is awesome.

Due to pavane I have sold all my desktop & portable DACs (sp1000 on sale). I cannot get that NOS sound out of my head. I have extensively listened to chord TOTL DACs(HMS/DAVE) & its not for me. YMMV

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #446 of 682
From what I know Adagio = Pavane + Preamp.
The new Pavane has the same number of DAC2 modules as Adagio. The specs are also same.
Btw, preamp on Adagio is awesome.

Due to pavane I have sold all my desktop & portable DACs (sp1000 on sale). I cannot get that NOS sound out of my head. I have extensively listened to chord TOTL DACs(HMS/DAVE) & its not for me. YMMV

I am winding him up; I know the DACs are the same.

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #448 of 682
The Adagio is a Pavane Level 3 + Volume Control (lets call this X).

Jade is an Onyx with the same VC X.

This is confirmed by Metrum.

I'm incredibly tempted to try this latest dac as all I need for inputs are ethernet. Having it all in one case also means that you can connect ethernet to the dac via internal I2S-like connection, which we all know is the best.

Honestly my only concern with claims that it can play with PavaneL3/Adagio is case size and internal interference, and power supply quality in comparison. Perhaps I should email or message him on Facebook.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #450 of 682
I sold my dCS Debussy for this DAC and haven’t looked back.

Yes, they are super aren't they? I was listening to some Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong last week. Very special.

Which interconnects are you using in your system if you don't mind me asking?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back