Metallica - St. Anger
Jun 5, 2003 at 3:57 AM Post #16 of 111
Quote:

Originally posted by miroslav
I remember when the Black album was released kids were shouting loud how sucky it was and 12 years later it`s a hard rock classic and their best work ever.

"hard rock classic" - unfortunately, up to that point, Metallica were a metal band. honestly, the black album still sucks as much now as it did 12 yrs ago.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

if you buy this latest cd you can go to the website (official site,code is on the cd ) and download preciously unreleased tracks , and these are the guys that were the most vocal anti MP3 band out there !

... i guess you got to find some gimmick to get suckers to actually buy the album. hell, their next album will probably be called 'Download' hahaha.

Jun 5, 2003 at 4:01 AM Post #18 of 111
Quote:

Originally posted by eastsidemetalhd
... their next album will probably be called 'Download' hahaha.

actually, their last album was called "download this" and the details about it are here heheh

Jun 5, 2003 at 4:11 AM Post #19 of 111
Quote:

Originally posted by eastsidemetalhd
"hard rock classic" - unfortunately, up to that point, Metallica were a metal band. honestly, the black album still sucks as much now as it did 12 yrs ago.
biggrin.gif

Yeah, that album was pop garbage! I always hated that album, I brought it when it 1st came out and gave it away about week later.

Jun 5, 2003 at 4:15 AM Post #20 of 111
Personally I find the Black album to be **** when considering their body of work before that. The Black album may have had decent music on it but it just was not true Metallica. My introduction to Metallica was Ride the Lightning which I bought the day it hit stores when I was 13. My fav though is Puppets with Ride a close second, followed by a toss up between Justice and Kill 'em All. mmm, man, just can't beat Puppets, gives me chills when I hear it in and among the Jazz/Classical/Ambient music I listen to nowadays.

Jun 5, 2003 at 4:23 AM Post #21 of 111
Quote:

Originally posted by Sean H
Personally I find the Black album to be **** when considering their body of work before that. The Black album may have had decent music on it but it just was not true Metallica. My introduction to Metallica was Ride the Lightning which I bought the day it hit stores when I was 13. My fav is though Puppets with Ride a close second, followed by a toss up between Justice and Kill 'em All. mmm, man, just can't beat Puppets, gives me chills when I hear it in and among the Jazz/Classical/Ambient music I listen to nowadays.

I was a huge Metallica fan in the 80's, Ride the Lighting was my 1st album as well, I then got their 1st and then Puppets when that came out and finally Justice, which was their last metal album. All these albums are well worth getting! just avoid teh rest like SARS.

Jun 5, 2003 at 5:35 PM Post #23 of 111
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...

hey, at least they have one fan

Maybe, but I am realy not the guy. I pretty much lost interest in this whole genre after "Load" and "Reload". Rammstein, some old Sepultura and Soulfly are about the only heavy stuff I still care about.

I play a Metallica album (ANY of them
wink.gif
) maybe once in three months nowdays. Still, I wont agree that Black album sucks. Pop garbage, you say??? IMO, their creativity peaked with that one, whether it was metal or hard rock or whatever. It sounds goood.

To sum up, adding a CDR copy of St. Anger to my collection won`t hurt. If it sucks, it`ll collect dust.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 5, 2003 at 9:22 PM Post #26 of 111
It didn't take long for a copy of Metallica's latest album to find it's way to the local used CD store where I picked it up for a whole 5 bucks...and I still feel ripped off. Ok, so it sounds pretty heavy and there's a couple nice long intros that sound decent but that's about the only good I can say about it after a listening to the CD a few times. I mean where the hell are the guitar solos? Where's the singing as opposed to mindless screaming and rapping? It was painful for me to listen to.
mad.gif

Jun 6, 2003 at 11:53 AM Post #28 of 111
I like the album. It comes with a DVD showing live performance of the entire album and the album itself very affordable and value packed as much as Mp3-supporters would like to slam them for being greedy. Also obviously it isn't that they ever opposed music sharing or mp3 trading if it is artist condoned in the first place.

I've also heard the Mp3's before the album and they are quite a bit worse, but don't expect the album to be "cleanly" produced as they are going for a very unadultered raw sound. It is the stark opposite of the stale production of And Justice...

Too early to comment except IMO the title track is one of the weakest songs on the album. Actually I came to like this album much in the same way I began to appreciate their classic albums...I popped the CD into my car stereo and got immersed into the energy in the album while suffering through traffic. This album isn't something you take in by analyzing "singles" and you need to sit or "suffer" through it if you will.

The lack of solos is interesting...IMO the melodic solos in the older albums gave you a breath of relief from the constant thrashing and whiplash riffing...in the latest album there is not much respite.

I think it is overall pretty interesting cause IMO it really isn't going to appeal to mainstream, yet it is because its Metallica. I expect that many people will listen to it and think of it as unmelodic noise repetitive noise with stupid lyrics. But IMO people are giving too much credit if they thought older albums were particularly genius lyrically. Actually the old lyrics were also pretty simple and inane (Kill 'em All?) but people just took personal meaning and interpretations to them because they grew to love the music.

I can see this album alienating a lot of newer fans especially after more "cultured" offerings such as S&M. On the otherhand I doubt they will gain any old fans since they are so stubborn.

Why do I appreciate the music from the car stereo? Probably because I don't sit there like a pompous dork contemplating the obviously inane lyrics and just want to listen to something that gets blood flowing when traffic isn't. I may grow to like this album much like their classic albums...beginning with being played loud in the car. This album most resembles Kill 'Em All for being raw and inane...but that doesn't mean Kill 'Em All was bad...I like that album too. Other classic metallica traits is that the singles aren't the best pick of the album, and the album needs to be listened and digested as a whole. Unfortunately album listening has been decimated in the shuffle of the instant gratification singles Mp3 era.

Jun 6, 2003 at 11:57 AM Post #29 of 111
I just heard the title track, St. Anger, on the radio before. Er.... what's with the rap/chorus? Seriously... with a background like Metallica's, they should really be a band that leads the way in music in their genre or at least pretty much near that front line. I own Justice and Black, and to me they were/are classics. Should they sound exactly like they did in these albums 10+ years ago? No, otherwise you'd be lazy. But at the same time you shouldn't be lazy by submitting to current trends. Be true to yourself.

Early assumptions from just listening to one song, I know, but to me they've just hopped on the commercial band-wagon of pop nu-metal and shot themselves in the foot. Nice one, James... you've just made clear the reason why Jason Newsted left when he did.

Jun 6, 2003 at 7:47 PM Post #30 of 111
I'm gonna get flamed for this but I liked the load and reload albums. More so load. Reload was only ok. It was a change of pace for the band. To me SandM was the true sell out album. Only a few of the tracks worked out well with the symphony. It sounded like a muffled mess. They should have played independlently from the symphony. It would have been a better more organic listening experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back