Metallica - St. Anger
Jun 3, 2003 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 111

grinch

Cognac....icky.Scotch....icky.Vodka....
okay, so i've had my speculations and i expected it to suck.. but now that i've heard this album, the brunth with which it sucks is overbearing and incredible. it is so pathetic in every which way i just can't believe it. i like to think of it as slayer meets linkin park, more towards linkin park. although the occasional thrash riff is evident, the vocal stylings and everything else just scream fake.

oh, and i discovered how they pulled off the whole "long song" thing. all the reviewers were hailing this album as a breakthrough because the songs are long "like the old days" right? well every song is way too long. the songs aren't written in the stylings of old with long solos and extended guitar sequences. they just repeat the chorus for an extra three minutes straight. the first track is perfectly evident of this: a three minute song that somehow turns out to be five minutes long. oh, and don't forget the sudden thrash instrumental in the last thirty seconds that has nothing to do with the track, but it's there because it's "old school" i guess. i'd call this album a tremendous let down, but when i knew it would suck already it's not even that. it's lived up to my expectations of super suckiness.

oh, and a word on sound quality.. it could just be my mp3 rip, but this recording sounds horrificly compressed to me. the drumming is almost unlistenable on my crappy work system, sounds like it clips hardcore to me, but again, this is after hearing a lossily compressed version of the album. the actual cd could be better, but in my experience, an album that sounds this bad on mp3 is going to sound rather zwan-ish.

p.s. the album's release has been pushed up to this thursday (06/05-03) due to the band not wanting pirated copies floating around. a leak two days before isn't going to be enough to get the word out on this album's supersuckiness, but i'm trying. :p

Jun 3, 2003 at 6:35 PM Post #2 of 111
Suck suck suck suck suck. Crap. Total crap. That's all I have to say after hearing this.

I was barely getting into Metallica when they pulled their anti-Napster campaign and haven't listened to them again until now, but their old stuff was actually good. This is not. You have been warned.

Jun 3, 2003 at 7:10 PM Post #3 of 111
I downloaded the title track, the full 7:32 min version,. Now normally I wouldn't talk about downloading songs for free, but in this case, you should all do this just to hear just how god awful this piece of **** really sounds like. It's one of the worst "songs" I have ever heard, and that's saying something!

Jun 3, 2003 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 111
What? I think they finally sold their soul....

Jun 3, 2003 at 10:48 PM Post #5 of 111
It's weird, the guy at www.metallicasucks.com likes the album.
confused.gif

http://www.metallicasucks.com/stangerreview.html

I listened to one track, St. Anger, and I thought it sucked big time. Then I downloaded a track, and I thought it was pretty good, though I'm wondering if it was a fake. Then I listened to another track (definitely real) that I thought was decent, but not great.

Now I'm on the fence. I'll have to download some more before I decide whether to buy it or not. Right now I'm leaning towards no.

Jun 4, 2003 at 3:10 AM Post #8 of 111
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
What? I think they finally sold their soul....

more like a 2nd mortgage, cuz they sold it once already when they hooked up with Bob Rock for the black album hahaha.

Jun 4, 2003 at 3:27 PM Post #10 of 111
Quote:

Originally posted by kentamcolin
IMO, "Metallica", the self titled album was their last good release. I have lost interest in the band since. It seems their into recording to make money, not music.

I agree. This seems like the direction that "Popular" Music (or what is called Music) is taking. True creativity and Talent has definitely dwindled.

It's too bad about Metallica. I was hoping they could bring back the substance that Rock Music so desparately needs today.

Jun 4, 2003 at 6:32 PM Post #11 of 111
I will obviously be one of the rare to say that the title track does not sound bad at all. Nice arrangement, slam and melody. I didn`t quite got all the lyrics yet. It definitely does sound like Metallica to me.
biggrin.gif

So far, I`ve heard couple of other tunes recorded live and I do agree that they seem to be too long, though there are plenty of nice riffs and vocals here and there.

Those who dislike the big bands` new releases are usually the loudest in the beginning, but, I remember when the Black album was released kids were shouting loud how sucky it was and 12 years later it`s a hard rock classic and their best work ever.

Having said this, I don`t think St. Anger will better that masterpeace.
wink.gif

Jun 4, 2003 at 11:45 PM Post #12 of 111
Jury's still out with me. I heard parts of it in the store today. Initial impression was "suck", but as I stayed in the store (just browsing, didn't buy anything), I caught myself bopping my head to the tunes. It actually started to grow on me.

So I left. Will probably try to find a chance to give it a good listen the whole way through, but not sure I will actually spend money on it, because, as DarkAngel likes to say, there's so much more there that I would rather listen to.

Jun 4, 2003 at 11:50 PM Post #13 of 111
Quote:

Originally posted by miroslav
I will obviously be one of the rare to say that the title track does not sound bad at all. Nice arrangement, slam and melody. I didn`t quite got all the lyrics yet. It definitely does sound like Metallica to me.
biggrin.gif

Huh? I don't understand how ...

Quote:

I remember when the Black album was released kids were shouting loud how sucky it was and 12 years later it`s a hard rock classic and their best work ever.

oooooohhhhh, that's explains it
very_evil_smiley.gif

hey, at least they have one fan

Jun 4, 2003 at 11:59 PM Post #14 of 111
there was a time i liked metallica , even went to the concerts

but they became way too full of themselves in recent years

they are so arrogant that if you buy this latest cd you can go to the website (official site,code is on the cd ) and download preciously unreleased tracks , and these are the guys that were the most vocal anti MP3 band out there !

Jun 5, 2003 at 3:13 AM Post #15 of 111
Metallica died with Cliff Burton, who must be turning in his grave. I dont condon dloading music, but Metalllica is the one exception, because I would never give them a single penny, especailly for the crap they put out now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back