Metallic theme California Headphones, any opinions?
May 15, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #2 of 8
Metallic earcups? The Sennheiser Amperior, NuForce HP-800, Pioneer HDJ-200 comes to mind. I'm sure there are plenty others. Cup vibration will be reduced slightly compared to, but resonance issues will still be the same as that's mostly a geometry thing. 

May 22, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
Metallic earcups? The Sennheiser Amperior, NuForce HP-800, Pioneer HDJ-200 comes to mind. I'm sure there are plenty others. Cup vibration will be reduced slightly compared to, but resonance issues will still be the same as that's mostly a geometry thing. 

when it comes to vibration issue, it reminds me of Fidelio S2 which allegedly claims its metal housing is meticulously engineered to reduce resonance and vibration. so is it really true that metallic shells have a genetic edge over others?

May 22, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #4 of 8
Yes, but just slightly (plastics can be quite rigid as well). Cup damping will make a bigger difference. 

May 29, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #6 of 8
Cup damping is mostly filler in the cups, like cotton, fiberglass, felts, or acoustic foams. These all disperse reflections in the cup and affect the frequency response.

The effects of cup damping will generally be far more noticeable than changing the cup or baffle material (assuming all geometries and weights are mostly the same). 

Jun 5, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
Cup damping is mostly filler in the cups, like cotton, fiberglass, felts, or acoustic foams. These all disperse reflections in the cup and affect the frequency response.

The effects of cup damping will generally be far more noticeable than changing the cup or baffle material (assuming all geometries and weights are mostly the same). 

thanks for reminding me some basic principles in physics from college, 

next time when i am on a mod job, i will definitely try them out.

Jun 7, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #8 of 8
I was planning to buy those to use for a driver transplant...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back