1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Metallic theme California Headphones, any opinions?

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jamesm, May 15, 2013.
  1. JamesM
    finally, i got to see Tyll for real at CES 2012.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfrD-u9kYjc

5bb44328075411cce680f315784d47f2_large.jpg

99077889f113eb34196f49f8e0148709_large.jpg

It is my frist time to encounter a set of headphones with entire metalic ear cups. i wonder how well it performs. any reviews on this yet or in line with such genre?? 

2. Armaegis
    Metallic earcups? The Sennheiser Amperior, NuForce HP-800, Pioneer HDJ-200 comes to mind. I'm sure there are plenty others. Cup vibration will be reduced slightly compared to, but resonance issues will still be the same as that's mostly a geometry thing. 

3. JamesM
    Quote:
    when it comes to vibration issue, it reminds me of Fidelio S2 which allegedly claims its metal housing is meticulously engineered to reduce resonance and vibration. so is it really true that metallic shells have a genetic edge over others?

4. Armaegis
    Yes, but just slightly (plastics can be quite rigid as well). Cup damping will make a bigger difference. 

5. JamesM
    Quote:
    Cup damping? kindly elaborate on it please?

6. Armaegis
    Cup damping is mostly filler in the cups, like cotton, fiberglass, felts, or acoustic foams. These all disperse reflections in the cup and affect the frequency response.

The effects of cup damping will generally be far more noticeable than changing the cup or baffle material (assuming all geometries and weights are mostly the same). 

7. JamesM
    Quote:
    thanks for reminding me some basic principles in physics from college, 

next time when i am on a mod job, i will definitely try them out.

8. PFULMTL
    I was planning to buy those to use for a driver transplant...