Meridian Explorer² Impressions Thread
Feb 1, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #136 of 1,003
I wish Meridian would have made the new ME2 iOS friendly having sold my ME v1 in favor of a iFi DSD Micro...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 9, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #139 of 1,003
I just received my E2. It is very detailed for such a small unit. It also defies logic, there is a great sense of space and separation but at the same time the presentation is very cohesive.

One question though, I seem to get a fair amount of noise through my IEMs at idle. There is clicking on volume change, which I have experienced with other digital volume controls, but there is also faint buzzing/squealing/whining in the background. It is louder if I place the DAC near my monitor.

I have used a number of USB powered DACs before and have never experienced this. Thoughts?

On the whole though, I am extremely happy with the performance of the E2 though and thoroughly recommend it. 
etysmile.gif

Feb 9, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #141 of 1,003
I don't get any noise or anything, it's silent. That said, my IEMs are 98 ohms SM64.
tongue.gif
I'll report back when I get my hands on Velvet this week.

Feb 9, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #142 of 1,003
  I don't get any noise or anything, it's silent.

Are you getting clicking on volume change (especially the closer you get to 0db)?

Yeah, it's strange. Very slight but constant and fluctuating squealing/buzzing. It changes depending on where I place the DAC and seems to get worse with longer USB cables. I have used USB DACs with this same computer almost exclusively and have never had this problem. Shielding issue?

I am really loving the E2 but it's killing my buzz a bit (ahem) 
tongue.gif

Feb 9, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #143 of 1,003

Are you getting clicking on volume change (especially the closer you get to 0db)?

Yeah, it's strange. Very slight but constant and fluctuating squealing/buzzing. It changes depending on where I place the DAC and seems to get worse with longer USB cables. I have used USB DACs with this same computer almost exclusively and have never had this problem. Shielding issue?

I am really loving the E2 but it's killing my buzz a bit (ahem) 
tongue.gif

No, nothing... Could it be caused by your computer? Or bad electricity?

Feb 10, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #149 of 1,003

Not clear what kind of machine you're hooked up to. I love the sound of the Explorer 2 but found when connected to my Macbook Pro with the Apple PSU connected I was getting faint clicking and other noise coming through the USB. I use low impedance 32 ohm Philips Fidelio X2 cans by the way. Seemed also to be a grounding issue there. When I switched to battery operation of the Macbook the background noise disappeared. Probably overkill but I purchased an ifI iUSB power supply and upgraded my cables to decent QED ones and I now have super quiet operation with the Macbook powered up and even better sound quality (although I am still running in the Explorer 2) particularly in bass extension and general clarity. Solved my problems and I now have what I consider to be outstanding performance for the price. I probably could have solved the problem far cheaper using a low cost powered USB hub but I decided to go for a better solution. Hope this helps...

Feb 10, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #150 of 1,003
Not clear what kind of machine you're hooked up to. I love the sound of the Explorer 2 but found when connected to my Macbook Pro with the Apple PSU connected I was getting faint clicking and other noise coming through the USB. I use low impedance 32 ohm Philips Fidelio X2 cans by the way. Seemed also to be a grounding issue there. When I switched to battery operation of the Macbook the background noise disappeared. Probably overkill but I purchased an ifI iUSB power supply and upgraded my cables to decent QED ones and I now have super quiet operation with the Macbook powered up and even better sound quality (although I am still running in the Explorer 2) particularly in bass extension and general clarity. Solved my problems and I now have what I consider to be outstanding performance for the price. I probably could have solved the problem far cheaper using a low cost powered USB hub but I decided to go for a better solution. Hope this helps...

Thanks. It is a custom built computer with quality psu and components. I have used a number of usb powered DACs before which didn't exhibit this issue. I have opened a ticket with meridian to try to sort it out. I hope it's a faulty unit, because I love the presentation of the E2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back