Meridian Explorer² Impressions Thread
Feb 11, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #153 of 1,003
Sounds like the best way to go. I also got in touch with Meridian support regarding this issue - but sorted it out myself in the end as per my previous post. Keep us informed on how you get on with the response from Meridian. Good luck.

Feb 16, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #155 of 1,003
This doesn't seem right, Meridian would not be shipping out E2's knowingly without the adjusted logo, I can almost say that as a fact. 

Where did you buy from? It may well have gone under the radar of quality control but I would be looking into it. 

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #158 of 1,003
the red light thing is optical outright? then my e2 has it, i bought it on amazon, and it is factory sealed, thankfully i can return it easily, guess this is really bad luck

Explorer² has no red light / optical out. They sent you the first Explorer. I already posted pictures of what the E² is supposed to look like in the original post of this thread.

Explorer² is currently sold out on (American) Amazon and has been for the past week or two. The guy who was selling them on eBay is also sold out of them. Seems like E² has been a popular item and difficult to find currently. Hopefully Meridian can produce more of these and more retailers can get their hands on them soon. 

Feb 17, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #159 of 1,003
Apparently they put an Explorer 1 into the box of an Explorer2. You should return them and get a new one.

Explorer² has no red light / optical out. They sent you the first Explorer. I already posted pictures of what the E² is supposed to look like in the original post of this thread.

Explorer² is currently sold out on (American) Amazon and has been for the past week or two. The guy who was selling them on eBay is also sold out of them. Seems like E² has been a popular item and difficult to find currently. Hopefully Meridian can produce more of these and more retailers can get their hands on them soon. 

Well, it's really great for the price.

Feb 18, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #161 of 1,003
  The lighs indicate the sampling rate coming INTO the dac, not the sampling rate after the dac upsampled it.   If you input to the explorer files with sample rate below 176.4/192 it will upsample them anyway.. 44.1 and 88.2 to 176.4 , 48 and 96 to 192.  
Or maybe I misunderstood how the explorer works.   

Well it seems there is a bug or I don't get this.
I set it to 24/192 (on a PC) and when I play the first song it turns on all three LEDs. The song is not 24/192, it's 24/96.
It never switches to less LEDs after that.

Feb 19, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #163 of 1,003
Well it seems there is a bug or I don't get this.
I set it to 24/192 (on a PC) and when I play the first song it turns on all three LEDs. The song is not 24/192, it's 24/96.
It never switches to less LEDs after that.

That's normal. The number of lights that are on reflects the audio settings, not the source. In this case it's indicating that its playing your 24/96 files upsampled at 192Khz (because that's what you have in settings). Set it to 96Khz in the settings and then it'll turn on less lights.

Feb 19, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #164 of 1,003
It is "normal" because that's how Windows works, but it's still bad.

Upsampling before the DAC is bad. Foobar2000 with WASAPI (and similar) will play the files without upsampling in windows and show the correct LEDs. The player needs to support it.
Hoping ASIO or WASAPI support will be included in the next version of Tidal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back