Meridian Explorer² Impressions Thread
Jan 14, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #106 of 1,003
Have anybody tried this (or the earlier Explorer) with an Android phone? Wondering how it sounds and how much battery power it uses from the phone. I am particularly interested in using it with a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and will like to know if they work well together. Will appreciate any information regarding to this pairing! 

Jan 15, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #107 of 1,003
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/6135#post_11222599

A list of standard USB DAC reportedly interworking with the Android-powered smartphone Samsung Galaxy Note4:
stock Samsung Galaxy Note4 > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable (ID pin grounded) >> USB DAC >> amp >> headphones
http://goo.gl/gnmvuf

stock Samsung Galaxy Note 4 > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable (ID pin grounded) >> standard USB DAC >> amp >> headphones

. Meridian Explorer 2 using USB Audio Player PRO (USB DAC/amp):
http://www.stuff.tv/meridian/meridian-explorer-2-world-s-first-mqa-compatible-dac/news
http://bit.ly/1x4vt4m

Jan 15, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #108 of 1,003
Thanks! That's a good relief. There are reviews said it did not support android:

"The Explorer is bigger, much bigger than the Dragonfly...Doesn’t support smartphones (iOS/Android)."

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/review-portable-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-dacs-audioquest-dragonfly-meridian-explorer-director-ifi-idac-idsd-geek-out-pulse-19272/

Jan 15, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #109 of 1,003
Hmm, just sent an email to Explorer support and here's their answer:

Hi there,

Sorry, Explorer2 can be used with only PC and Mac.

Regards,

Des Ford
Meridian Audio Support Team
support@meridian.co.uk

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

Does the Explorer 2 support Android phone such as the Samsung Galaxy Note 4?

Thanks.

Jan 15, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #110 of 1,003
Someone on this forum has tested Meridian Explorer 1 with Galaxy S4. They worked but he had to use a Y cable and an external battery. Note 4 has more power than S4. I believe it will work.

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #112 of 1,003
  Hmm, just sent an email to Explorer support and here's their answer:

Hi there,

Sorry, Explorer2 can be used with only PC and Mac.

Suspect they just play safe and only recommend supported connectivity with PC and Mac but it doesn't mean it doesn't work with other devices ... just some additional hurdles to overcome.

See my earlier post ref connecting to iPad .. suspect the same solution would work with Android devices including the Note 4/ S4

http://www.head-fi.org/t/747327/meridian-explorer-impressions-thread/45#post_11196192

Not exactly portable, but it does sound great ... also from reading the later posts on here ref the upscaling I suspect although the tidal app is outputting uncompressed CD quality audio, the E2 is probably upscaling anyway ... either way, I'm very happy with the set up. I could probably get away with a smaller battery as even after hours of powering the E2, it hardly drains any charge at all.

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #113 of 1,003
With my UE11pro (quad BA), it's silent.  Also, the E2 is a big upgrade from the E1 (both versions), IMO. If you have ever heard a Meridian DSP unit, the E2 is the closest of the Eseries that sounds like a Meridian product, IMO.

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #114 of 1,003
Got another reply from Meridian that confirmed it doesn't support Android, at least not officially:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Meridian.  Andriod does not support Explorer 2.  It only works on PC’s - Windows/MAC.  I hope that helps.  

Ryan Donaher

Regional Sales Manager
Meridian America

Jan 15, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #115 of 1,003
While Note 4's battery is 3220mh, it is not that much bigger than the S4's 2600mh. If the battery gets drained too quickly, or one has to add an extra battery to power it, then it may not be well-suited for portable use. It is a pity as the explorer 2 does have a very good style to match the note 4. 

It seems like the audioengine D3 maybe a better candidate in this pairing, even though it is not as pretty as the explorer 2. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/701027/amazing-audioengine-d3

On that thread it seems note 4 will work with D3 natively without the UAPP app:

"BTW my Note 4 is not rooted, 100% stock and I am not using The UAPP app, it works natively.  "

These days I am plugging my HD650 directly into the note 4 and it sounds really good already, though some tracks sound better than others. I am hoping by adding a portable DAC/amp all music will be sounded equally good, given they are all FLAC. 

Jan 15, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #117 of 1,003
I don't have the patience for more research and went ahead got myself a D3. Will report back how it sounds when it arrives, well, probably in the D3 thread :)

I do like to hear other's experience with the Explorer 2 and their Android phone if they have that pair working together well...

Jan 19, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #118 of 1,003
  I don't have the patience for more research and went ahead got myself a D3. Will report back how it sounds when it arrives, well, probably in the D3 thread :)

I do like to hear other's experience with the Explorer 2 and their Android phone if they have that pair working together well...

Tested it on my LG G3 with CM12 custom rom and it worked flawlessly, Lollipop has built in driver for 16-bit 44.1KHz out for USB DACs but if you install USB Audio Player from Google Play Store it can output directly to the DAC in higher res 24 bit 192KHz files if you have them, if you only going to play CD quality files then no reason to install.

Only issues I found with the default output is it is not very high volume wise, so you probably want to use it with sensitive headphones. When I am travelling (which I do a lot) I use Sennheiser Momentum or my V-Moda Crossfade m-100

I currently am using the Explorer 2 with Schiit Wyrd on my desktop to clean up the USB noise and it is connected to my Arcam Diva A85 and Q Acoustic 2020i speakers, I use Sennheiser HD600 headphones mostly though, going to get a dedicated headphone Amp eventually, probably the Schiit Valhalla 2.

So far sound is amazing, certainly better than my Creative Soundblaster ZXR which will go in my other PC.

Jan 20, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #120 of 1,003
Thanks for sharing your experience with the LG G3. Are you using a Micro B to Micro B USB OTG cable? That should link both devices together directly. 

I just got my D3 today. Nice thing about it is it can be plug into Note 4 (stock version) directly, and no need for any app. Note 4 recognizes it and outputs music to it via the micro USB port transparently. If you plug another headphone into the headphone jack on Note 4, it will take precedence. This makes comparing sound quality very easy as you can play and pause music on the fly, and alternate the same headphone between Note 4 jack and the D3 jack. I will post more about the sound quality in the D3 thread. Generally it is more live and airy. You dive into the music deeper. 

Still plan to get an Explorer 2 to compare with the sound quality. Some HD tracks do not sound as good as I wish it to sound through the D3 (like the "When I dream" 24/96 sample track from HDTracks). That song actually sounds much better on my $29 Sennheiser C300 II. Although better through D3 than directly from note 4, on both HD558 and HD659 it sound muddy and not resolved. Go figured. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back