Melodious MX-U8 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Dec 15, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #541 of 658
hi alex

since the casing is full of boards and tranny, how do you plan to connect to the DAC ? using which connector ? DIN 8pin ?

how did you hook up the 1A EMI/RFI filter ? before the transformer or after ? can you point me the taobao link ?

isnt the choke in diyinhk does the same thing ?

this is really ultimate.

rgds

Dec 20, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #542 of 658
Hi ccschua,

There will be all twisted wires from the psu's to the dac, directly, no special connectors needed. Maybe I will use Molex connectors later on, for the moment
I will use sinmple "Jumper-like" connectors since I don't want to solder on the DAC terminals.

The filters are 230V EMI/RFI filters and they will be connected before the R-Cores. And yes, the chokes on the diyinhk psu's are comparable (different brand).

I hope I can finish the dac today, not sure though because it's a lot of connecting to realise.

Regards,

Alex

Dec 27, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #543 of 658

Some pics to get you guys a little bit warmed-up 
wink_face.gif

Next step is to mount all the filters, R-Cores and psu's, a lot of cabling,,,,,

Regards,

Alex

Never saw so many transformers in one box???!!!

Dec 27, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #544 of 658

Some pics to get you guys a little bit warmed-up 
wink_face.gif

Next step is to mount all the filters, R-Cores and psu's, a lot of cabling,,,,,

Regards,

Alex

Never saw so many transformers in one box???!!!

I never saw that too, that is why I did build this monster myself 
biggrin.gif

Today, after 6 days of burn-in time, finally listening to my DAC.

I only can say this: It's ALIEN, it fills the room with music, live like, nothing more to wish for it seems!!!!!!

I made a miscalculation, DAC psu for output stage needs 2x 15V, and NOT a transformer with a center pole, so I had to exchange the USB-R-Core for a second 15-0-15V R-Core.
This means I will have to order a new 2x 15V R-Core and built it in later. For the moment I use external 5V for USB (battery)

Regards,

Alex

Dec 27, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #545 of 658
congrats.

this is really great. can I bring a suggestion. why not consider a isolating tranny (R-core) for the digital and analog circuits each. it can be a 1 to 1 tranny.

Dec 27, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #546 of 658
Good thinking, would love to add 2 osolation R-Cores, but those wouldn't fit in this enclosure. Maybe next DAC project :wink:

Regards,

Alex

Dec 27, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #547 of 658
with the 1 to 1 Rcore, i dont think the EMI/RFI filter is required, especially if the isolation trans has earthing cable.

Dec 28, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #548 of 658
NOT goog thinking.

What I tried to accomplish with this DAC was to "completely" get rid of EMI/RFI. An isolation transformer in addition could bring better performance.

It's like saying:  I've got a fruit bowl with appels in it, now I put some pears in it an get rid of the appels........

I tried to decouple every single R-Core and PSU since EMI/RFI can loop back thru PSU and interfere with the other psu's.
The psu's by themselves have EMI/RFI filters, the addition of the EMI/RFI filters before the R-Cores will also act as a barrier
for EMI/RFI to travel back to other R-Cores and psu's.

If using only 2 isolation transformers, one for Digital and one for Analog, it wouldn't decouple the Digital and Analog psu's from eachother.

Regards,

Alex

Dec 28, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #549 of 658
is there a room for concerns with dynamics and resolution with the additional inductors and capacitors networks ?

Dec 28, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #550 of 658
  is there a room for concerns with dynamics and resolution with the additional inductors and capacitors networks ?

No concerns, it sounds Heavenly, not to say it seems as if it's Alien, thát good it is,,,,,,

Not talking about soundstage or tonal balance or dynamics or deep tight lows or anything like that anymore, those words and expressions don't count anymore....

Dec 29, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #551 of 658
that is a super power supply. again its the highest quality and neat workmanship on display.

Dec 29, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #552 of 658
  that is a super power supply. again its the highest quality and neat workmanship on display.

Thank you for your kindest comments 
bigsmile_face.gif

Btw, I am planning to "go commercial" with this design since it surpasses all expectations I had 
wink_face.gif

It will be designed "as is", USB ONLY, standard version 230V, can be manufactured for 115V market too, not switchable between 230V and 115V though.
Not sure about it's weight, it supposedly weighs about 15Kg 
blink.gif

For the ones who are interested, send me PM.

Btw. Member Prot wil probably the first Head-Fi member who will have the opportunity to listen to it during the carnaval holidays when visiting him 
beerchug.gif

Regards,

Alex

Dec 29, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #553 of 658
Getti
Thank you for your kindest comments :bigsmile_face:

Btw, I am planning to "go commercial" with this design since it surpasses all expectations I had :wink_face:
It will be designed "as is", USB ONLY, standard version 230V, can be manufactured for 115V market too, not switchable between 230V and 115V though.
Not sure about it's weight, it supposedly weighs about 15Kg :blink:

For the ones who are interested, send me PM.

Btw. Member Prot wil probably the first Head-Fi member who will have the opportunity to listen to it during the carnaval holidays when visiting him :beerchug:

Regards,

Alex

Getting ready :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back