Melodious MX-U8 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Jan 6, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #571 of 658
Hi Alex and hgpsemaj - Thanks for speedy responses!.  I will try the links.

Yes @Alex: I was referring to your DAC approach - I see you mentioned going commercial - I'd be interested for sure!  Thanks!

Jan 6, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #574 of 658
Hi 3Marshes,

Yes I will go commercial and am preparing and calculating. Would you need 230V or 115V version?
I have a team already set up for assembling (it takes several days to accomplish one,,,)

Regards,

Alex

Jan 6, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #577 of 658
Yeah... I read as much. I'm not having luck with the U8.

I have 2 brand new DU-U8s, 3 Mogami Gold AES cables, 1 off-brand optical cable and a brand new Gustard DAC X12, and the filtered USB cables that came with the DU and DAC. Tried each and exhausted the possible permutations. BTW all this going to a Headphone tube amp.  The only path that works with either of the DU-U8s is MBP-USB-U8 via RCA-DAC-amp.  The DAC occasionally syncs up and keeps sync with either U8 on AES as well as on Optical.  When it keeps the sync I get audio at the headphone.  The DAC, amp and U8 are being fed filtered power by Weiduka audio AC8.8.

MBP-USB direct to the DAC-amp works as well. Output from the DAC to the amp is via RCA cables. My objective is to quench USB noise as before getting to the DAC.  In the end I will get a high grade PRE and POST Tube Amplifier set  and want to have the data process upfront figured out before buying the final amp set.  

I hoping Alex's machine [ :p ] may be a better route..
Thanks!

Jan 6, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #578 of 658
  Yeah... I read as much. I'm not having luck with the U8.

I have 2 brand new DU-U8s, 3 Mogami Gold AES cables, 1 off-brand optical cable and a brand new Gustard DAC X12, and the filtered USB cables that came with the DU and DAC. Tried each and exhausted the possible permutations. BTW all this going to a Headphone tube amp.  The only path that works with either of the DU-U8s is MBP-USB-U8 via RCA-DAC-amp.  The DAC occasionally syncs up and keeps sync with either U8 on AES as well as on Optical.  When it keeps the sync I get audio at the headphone.  The DAC, amp and U8 are being fed filtered power by Weiduka audio AC8.8.

MBP-USB direct to the DAC-amp works as well. Output from the DAC to the amp is via RCA cables. My objective is to quench USB noise as before getting to the DAC.  In the end I will get a high grade PRE and POST Tube Amplifier set  and want to have the data process upfront figured out before buying the final amp set.  

I hoping Alex's machine [ :p ] may be a better route..
Thanks!

Hello 3Marshes,

With reading PM i meant: You have a private message 
wink_face.gif

What combinations do NOT work at your setup? Does it not sync occasionally? Tried a different USB port on you MacBook Pro?

Regards,

Alex

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #579 of 658
Yes tnx Alex I read your PM and replied...

I've tried both USB ports on my MBP (El Capitain v10.11.2).  Tried iTunes, Pure Music and Audivarna Plus as players - also tried Media Center. Following do NOT work

1) MBP via any USB port => either U8 => via any of 3 new Mogami Gold AES => DAC X12 =>RCA => amp
2) MBP via any USB port => either U8 => via Optical => DAC X12 =>RCA => amp

I have tried various power on sequences starting from the amp backwards to the MBP, the MBP forward through to the amp, power the U8 first before the DAC and the DAC  before the U8.

Just before this reply I did the following....On power on neither path of 1 or 2 above sync up. I then switch the Sound to xCore USB Audio and cycle through the DAC ports no sync up. I then bring up iTunes and play anything. No sync still and no sound.  I then kill iTunes and bring up Audivarna Plus and play anything and AES sync is now up and I get sound at the headphone.  If I wait a while the sound will go away and no matter what I play next ( file format type) I get no sound and the DAC shows Sync stays up.  I got sound to play for about 3mins then it just stopped the sync went down. I played the exact same song and the AES resync'd but no sound

Interestingly when I try MediaCenter several times I get no sync but once in a while I get AES to sync and the DAC shows 96K not 44.1K. But no sound

Same thing on either of the MBP USB ports.

So I think I can say the MBP is seeing beyond the U8 but not consistently or "accurately".

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #580 of 658
  Yes tnx Alex I read your PM and replied...

I've tried both USB ports on my MBP (El Capitain v10.11.2).  Tried iTunes, Pure Music and Audivarna Plus as players - also tried Media Center. Following do NOT work

1) MBP via any USB port => either U8 => via any of 3 new Mogami Gold AES => DAC X12 =>RCA => amp
2) MBP via any USB port => either U8 => via Optical => DAC X12 =>RCA => amp

I have tried various power on sequences starting from the amp backwards to the MBP, the MBP forward through to the amp, power the U8 first before the DAC and the DAC  before the U8.

Just before this reply I did the following....On power on neither path of 1 or 2 above sync up. I then switch the Sound to xCore USB Audio and cycle through the DAC ports no sync up. I then bring up iTunes and play anything. No sync still and no sound.  I then kill iTunes and bring up Audivarna Plus and play anything and AES sync is now up and I get sound at the headphone.  If I wait a while the sound will go away and no matter what I play next ( file format type) I get no sound and the DAC shows Sync stays up.  I got sound to play for about 3mins then it just stopped the sync went down. I played the exact same song and the AES resync'd but no sound

Interestingly when I try MediaCenter several times I get no sync but once in a while I get AES to sync and the DAC shows 96K not 44.1K. But no sound

Same thing on either of the MBP USB ports.

So I think I can say the MBP is seeing beyond the U8 but not consistently or "accurately".

Does your mains socket in wall has ground? Are both DU-U8 and X12 have ground?

Jan 6, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #581 of 658
Power on wall has Ground => Weiduka Audio Power Filter AC8.8 provides 6 Euro plugs and 4 US plugs all with ground presumably.  DAC, DU-U8 and Amp are plugged into the AC8.8.  The MBP is not plugged into the Power Filter but instead to the wall.

went back to testing with Media Center 21.  AES Syncs at 96K w/o music playing.  It switched to 44.1K when music is playing.  It stops on its own and if I switch the DU-U* off and then back on I can start the music again. Weird.  At this point Im pretty much stopping the tests with the Breeze DU-U8s.  Gentlemen thanks for you help with the DU-U8s.  They're going back to the vendor.

Jan 6, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #582 of 658
  Power on wall has Ground => Weiduka Audio Power Filter AC8.8 provides 6 Euro plugs and 4 US plugs all with ground presumably.  DAC, DU-U8 and Amp are plugged into the AC8.8.  The MBP is not plugged into the Power Filter but instead to the wall.

went back to testing with Media Center 21.  AES Syncs at 96K w/o music playing.  It switched to 44.1K when music is playing.  It stops on its own and if I switch the DU-U* off and then back on I can start the music again. Weird.  At this point Im pretty much stopping the tests with the Breeze DU-U8s.  Gentlemen thanks for you help with the DU-U8s.  They're going back to the vendor.

I am not a MAC user, but I am recognizing this problem, it is related to buffer settings and latency settings in your software or driver.
Normally you should increase buffer settings, then it should work.

I had with MX-U8 best results when setting buffer settings AND latency at lowest setting (minimum) in Thesycon driver.
Sadly this can't be set in normal Xmos driver. 

For my dac I have to modify a thesycon driver too, didn't arrange that until now.

Regards,

Alex

Jan 6, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #583 of 658
I have not tried that yet...I searched for a place to do this and so far have not found a native MAC OS lace to do it...Each player however has something in this area - I'll look into it and try it otherwise its adios to the DU-U8s in time to meet a return deadline.

Thanks Alex

Jan 6, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #584 of 658
I think I may have figured out why the music stops but the sync appears to still be hot...today its happened each time my Air Conditioner cranked up - SPIKE (lights dim etc.) ...which means my Weiduka Power Filter may be crap ;-(  - it too is new and not cheap.

Jan 6, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #585 of 658
  I think I may have figured out why the music stops but the sync appears to still be hot...today its happened each time my Air Conditioner cranked up - SPIKE (lights dim etc.) ...which means my Weiduka Power Filter may be crap ;-(  - it too is new and not cheap.

Hmm, that's not good, need better power filtering, see my dac, hahahaha
Maybe try a seperate filter for your DU-Ud, or, did you try With your Mackbooc Pro on battery instead of connected to mains???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back