Melodious MX-U8 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Jan 6, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #586 of 658
yeah...you may be onto something there - i could also try to put the MBP on the Power filter as see if it continues to happen...clearly if I were smarter I'd call an electrician to check the mains  - the lights should not be dimming if the mains box if fitted properly for my load....

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #587 of 658
Hi Guys !
thanks a lot sincerely for the very very interesting sharing of knowhow
Sorry to jump in but i have a question

Melodious (stock)     versus    Breeze Audio DU-U8 (stock)

who wins ?
I have the Melodious and evaluating the buy of the Breeze Audio DU-U8
Are on a par ? will the Breeze Audio DU-U8 give me a better sound (without mods i mean).
Thanks again
Kind regards,  gino

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #588 of 658

who wins ?

I have MX-U8 ver1.7, the latest.  Which version do you have?
There is a huge difference between the previous versions and the current 1.7.
For me, DU-U8 is no choice, as it does not have DSDOE (PCM/DSD signal) from its I2S (RJ45) output.

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:54 AM Post #589 of 658
Jan 8, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #591 of 658
  If the internal board looks exactly the same as this picture, then it is ver1.5.
The current 1.7 is as follows:
https://img.alicdn.com/imgextra/i2/647667811/TB234ZuhFXXXXb6XpXXXXXXXXXX_!!647667811.jpg

Hi Yes ! exactly the same as the one in the picture.  I understand mine is the old version.
frown.gif

Bought it some months ago.
I have mostly used it via AES and liked it a lot.  Very musical sound and low noise.
In which aspects the newer one is better ?

I would like to add that i have been very impressed by the improvements that mods can provide to these units.
There are very talented people here.  Congratulations.
Thanks again, gino

Jan 8, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #593 of 658
  Hi Guys !
thanks a lot sincerely for the very very interesting sharing of knowhow
Sorry to jump in but i have a question

who wins ?
Are on a par ? will the Breeze Audio DU-U8 give me a better sound (without mods i mean).
Thanks again
Kind regards,  gino

I cannot not provide any feedback about the comparison because I do not have the Melodious. However, I have the Breeze that serves me satisfactorily for listening to CDs. My system of

external DVD player -> PC -> Breeze Audio DU-U8 -> DAC 

is my best CD playing system now, beating all of my CD/SACD players, some of which were around $1000 in their popular days. 

Jan 9, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #594 of 658

I cannot not provide any feedback about the comparison because I do not have the Melodious.
However, I have the Breeze that serves me satisfactorily for listening to CDs. My system of
external DVD player -> PC -> Breeze Audio DU-U8 -> DAC
is my best CD playing system now, beating all of my CD/SACD players, some of which were around $1000 in their popular days.

Hi ! thanks a lot for your valuable advice.
So the Breeze Audio is truly good.
Actually i have no particular complain about the old Melodious that i have found a little better in my system than the Gustard U12 (both in stock version without mods).
Quite understandable as it is also more expensive than the Gustard, a nice unit by itself.
I will keep on reading the reviews for now.
I would like to try some of the power supply mods depicted here and in other threads ... but parts are so tiny ... smd parts.
I am sure that these mods could give benefits in terms of noise. 
I have the feeling i have some noise coming from the mains because listening with HPs during the night the sound is better.
I guess during the night there is less pollution in the mains.
I do not like at all toroidals in the PS.  I have my personal nightmares and toroidals are one of this
redface.gif

Thanks a lot again
Kind regards,
gino

Jan 14, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #595 of 658
  I received the Melodius X8 yesterday. Out of the box it is  best I have heard. I will now burn it in for 100 hours and then have to do the Breeze
I will then try to do a comparison of all the USB inputs. I do want to say putting burn in aside all of these devices sound very, very good
Alan

any news?

Jan 17, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #597 of 658
seems U12 thread has been locked,,,,,,

Yes. I feel a bit responsible for deviating the subject in this thead. Not on purpose.

Now i would really like to hear about the new mx-u8 vs the breeze. The new mx-u8 seems to be better made, especially the chassis. That parts are very similar. If the breeze is still on top, it would be just because of circuit design. There is nothing like a good pair of ears to decide.

Jan 17, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #598 of 658
Yes. I feel a bit responsible for deviating the subject in this thead. Not on purpose.

Now i would really like to hear about the new mx-u8 vs the breeze. The new mx-u8 seems to be better made, especially the chassis. That parts are very similar. If the breeze is still on top, it would be just because of circuit design. There is nothing like a good pair of ears to decide.

I do not any experience with mx-u8. But I really like the Breeze.

I bought the Breeze in the top configuration. It revitalized my old DAC (MSB Link DAC 3, a full DIY Nelson mod) so that I am enjoying my CDs like I never heard them before.

Jan 17, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #599 of 658
I do not any experience with mx-u8. But I really like the Breeze.

I bought the Breeze in the top configuration. It revitalized my old DAC (MSB Link DAC 3, a full DIY Nelson mod) so that I am enjoying my CDs like I never heard them before.

I really like the breeze too. I have the deluxe as well. My connection to it is from mac mini to audioquest jitterbug to schiit wyrd. And i use the i2s output to a master-7. Sounds just great. There is just a hint of harshness left on the female voice, but just on specific recordings. It sounds simlply amazing. There are better converter on the market, for sure, but not so many and much more expensive or without i2s. This one makes music sound real in my setup.

Jan 18, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #600 of 658
Good morning to Everyone
biggrin.gif

Who is using the Melodious MX-U8 USB via its AES out ?  With which dac ?
I have tried both the spdif and the AES and prefer the AES link (cable a cheap Canare from ebay).
I got the impression that the sound with the AES link is more relaxed, less "electric" but still with all the detail in place.
In conclusion ... does the AES connection pay dividends in terms of overall musicality ?
Thanks a lot.
Have a nice day,   gino

Users who are viewing this thread

Back