Melodious MX-U8 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Nov 29, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #526 of 658
Looks good, seperate supply for xtals, big contender for breeze? 
wink_face.gif

Still one transformer,,,,,

Regards,

Alex

Dec 6, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #527 of 658
SINCE there are 3 options for BU-U8, is the SITIME crystal a better option than the gold plated TCXO as recommended by the manufacturer?

Dec 8, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #528 of 658
I have a Gustard u-12 feeding a Audio-GD Master 7. Ordered a Breeze. The one I got lasted about 8 hours before failing and will not work ordered a second breeze. It works nice but does not seem to be able to handle the Classicsonline HD-LL Hi Rez files such as 24/192 0r 24/176. Sounds very nice for 16/44 streaming. I cannot really say at this point if it is better or different from the Gustard. I also have a new version Melodius-X8 coming. When it comes and everything is burned in I will try to do a comparison of the 3 USB converters as well as the built in Amanero 345 in the Master 7
Alan

Dec 8, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #529 of 658
Hello guys,

I decided to build my own dac with an I2S-Only USB interface.

It will be based on isloated I2S module (isolated means: all datalines isolated) including seperate psu for usb-xmos and 2 seperate psu's for crystals (NDK SD's).
PSU's will be fed with seperate R-Core transformers, just like I did in my "Monster MX-U8", and R-Cores will be fed by seperate EMI/RFI filters.
NDK's will share 1x R-Core

Dac will be based on AK4495SEQ with ALL psu lines fed independently, so for every powerline there will be a seperate psu, fed by a seperate R-Core, fed by a seperate EMI/RFI filter.

It will have 9x R-Core transformers (6x DAC - 1x Output stage - 1x Crystals - 1x USB/XMOS) , 9 EMI/RFI filters and 10 psu's.

Regards,

Alex

Dec 10, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #530 of 658
  I have a Gustard u-12 feeding a Audio-GD Master 7. Ordered a Breeze. The one I got lasted about 8 hours before failing and will not work ordered a second breeze. It works nice but does not seem to be able to handle the Classicsonline HD-LL Hi Rez files such as 24/192 0r 24/176. Sounds very nice for 16/44 streaming. I cannot really say at this point if it is better or different from the Gustard. I also have a new version Melodius-X8 coming. When it comes and everything is burned in I will try to do a comparison of the 3 USB converters as well as the built in Amanero 345 in the Master 7
Alan

I received the Melodius X8 yesterday. Out of the box it is  best I have heard. I will now burn it in for 100 hours and then have to do the Breeze
I will then try to do a comparison of all the USB inputs. I do want to say putting burn in aside all of these devices sound very, very good
Alan

Dec 10, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #531 of 658
  Hello guys,

I decided to build my own dac with an I2S-Only USB interface.

It will be based on isloated I2S module (isolated means: all datalines isolated) including seperate psu for usb-xmos and 2 seperate psu's for crystals (NDK SD's).
PSU's will be fed with seperate R-Core transformers, just like I did in my "Monster MX-U8", and R-Cores will be fed by seperate EMI/RFI filters.
NDK's will share 1x R-Core

Dac will be based on AK4495SEQ with ALL psu lines fed independently, so for every powerline there will be a seperate psu, fed by a seperate R-Core, fed by a seperate EMI/RFI filter.

It will have 9x R-Core transformers (6x DAC - 1x Output stage - 1x Crystals - 1x USB/XMOS) , 9 EMI/RFI filters and 10 psu's.

I will start a new thread when project starts. Including pics 
wink_face.gif

Regards,

Alex

yeah baby yeah! this!!!

Dec 10, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #533 of 658
for some unexplain reason, my MX-U8 ver 1.5 just went dead.

I tried all kinds of troubleshoot, the USB just cant detect that the unit is connected. I suspect the U8 is probably static shock ?

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #534 of 658
  I received the Melodius X8 yesterday. Out of the box it is  best I have heard. I will now burn it in for 100 hours and then have to do the Breeze
I will then try to do a comparison of all the USB inputs. I do want to say putting burn in aside all of these devices sound very, very good
Alan

I have been using the AES/EBU output from the Melodius to my Master7
I wanted to try the I2S connection since both the Melodius and Master7 inplement I2S using
A J45 connection. but was not sure if the pin designations were the same. On the Melodius site they show the pin defines
I e-mailed them to Audio-GD and they said the pin layouts were the same. I hooked it up with a generic Ethernet cable
and it works great and sounds great. It did not work with the Breeze. Will all Ethernet cables sound the same or not?. Can you guys recommend a really good cable
Alan

Dec 11, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #535 of 658
  I have been using the AES/EBU output from the Melodius to my Master7
I wanted to try the I2S connection since both the Melodius and Master7 inplement I2S using
A J45 connection. but was not sure if the pin designations were the same. On the Melodius site they show the pin defines
I e-mailed them to Audio-GD and they said the pin layouts were the same. I hooked it up with a generic Ethernet cable
and it works great and sounds great. It did not work with the Breeze. Will all Ethernet cables sound the same or not?. Can you guys recommend a really good cable
Alan

Breeze Audio recommends the length of RJ45, the shorter the better.

伍汝新:伟坚

越短越好

Dec 13, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #536 of 658

yeah baby yeah! this!!!

Some pics to get you guys a little bit warmed-up 
wink_face.gif

Next step is to mount all the filters, R-Cores and psu's, a lot of cabling,,,,,

Regards,

Alex

Dec 13, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #537 of 658

Breeze Audio recommends the length of RJ45, the shorter the better.

伍汝新:伟坚

越短越好

+1 on the short recommendation... Audio GD offers some generic ones.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/DI2014/DI2014EN_Custom.htm

PPA offers 60CM, very well reviewed..  

http://ppaproduct.blogspot.tw/2014/05/tz-yun-red-i2s-cable.html

I also used a 30CM CAT7 from Taobao briefly....

Dec 14, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #538 of 658
  +1 on the short recommendation... Audio GD offers some generic ones.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/DI2014/DI2014EN_Custom.htm

PPA offers 60CM, very well reviewed..  

http://ppaproduct.blogspot.tw/2014/05/tz-yun-red-i2s-cable.html

I also used a 30CM CAT7 from Taobao briefly....

diyinhk recommends the length of RJ45/I2S is not supposedly longer than 10cm. We also know this I2S socket must not be hot pull or pushed.

I just wonder is this I2S concept purposely designed for external use.

Regards,

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #539 of 658
Hi Alex,

this is incredible. what PSU is that and the choke used ?

what sort of connector are you using and how limit cable length to avoid coupling.

rgds

Dec 15, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #540 of 658
  Hi Alex,

this is incredible. what PSU is that and the choke used ?

what sort of connector are you using and how limit cable length to avoid coupling.

rgds

Hi ccschua,

All psu's are diyinhk 0.8 uV ultra low noise psu's, with little mods.
Not sure what kind of connectors you mean, the ones on the DAC or on the psu's or filters? All screw terminals on the psu's and filters.
Chokes are all chinese made, they would be rather expensive to buy abroad!

Cable length won't be a problem, from psu's to dac will be relatively short and will be twisted and shielded.
From filters to transformers all is twisted (with earthwire)

Btw, using 9 pieces 1A EMI/RFI filters for R-Cores and 1x 2A EMI/RFI filter in total for whole dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back