Meine AKG K340 elektrostatisch-dynamisches System Kopfhörer sind gerade angekommen!
Jan 25, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #256 of 383
Quote:

Originally Posted by iSleipnir
So now all I have to worry about is cleaning it up and replacing some parts. The earpads and elastics in the headband need it most. What were people using last? Was it hair ties?

yes but replacing them is not fun.... (at least it wasn't for me!)

Quote:

And for the earpads, I know there is a velour pair and a pleather pair. Are they both from the K271? Thanks!
-Slep

I am not sure about the velour version. If you call AKG USA they'll send you pleather pads for a few bucks (don't remember exactly ~$10-15) that reportedly work for both K340 and 271. When I called last year they still had in stock most K340 replacement parts (earcup parts, electrets, headband) and they recommended using hair ties to replace the headband elastics

Jan 25, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #257 of 383
I have purchased my velour and pleather earpads from AKG USA. There is a letter on the plastic bag of the earpads showing K240/K340. So they use the same earpads for K240. The price was 6 USD for each. For two earpads 12 USD.

Jan 25, 2006 at 11:06 PM Post #258 of 383
The AKG Velour earpads for k240s and k271s cost $25+ per pair......but guess what ......I like Beyer velour pads even better - they also fit and give a little more depth, and a little more room (inner diameter) for your ears.....altogether the most comfortable.
I also put the Velour Beyer pads onto the AKG's and took them right off - but fit was fine......but to my ears Beyer pads are to be preferred.

Jan 26, 2006 at 12:16 AM Post #259 of 383
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy
I also put the Velour Beyer pads onto the AKG's and took them right off - but fit was fine......but to my ears Beyer pads are to be preferred.

Do you know the part no. or for what Beyer model they are originally designed for?

Jan 26, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #260 of 383
Ok. So the right driver stopped producing sound. ...HELP! What could have caused this and how could I fix it? I'm pretty sure all of the wires are connected correctly. Any ideas? Please?

Jan 26, 2006 at 5:45 AM Post #261 of 383
If both of the right drivers stopped I would assume wiring/connection at the plug end. If only the electrostat part, potentially it is like mine and one of the electrostatic parts works about half the time in cold weather (storage and listening in the garage) and all the time about about 50-55F.

Jan 26, 2006 at 7:38 AM Post #262 of 383
Nevermind about the driver. One of the sodering points broke, and the other one looks like its about to go. Looks like I'm gong to have to patch this up before I can get both of them working.
rolleyes.gif

Also I have a question: How do you replace the elastics with hair ties? I can't see how to get them to fit!

Jan 26, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #263 of 383
Quote:

Originally Posted by iSleipnir
Also I have a question: How do you replace the elastics with hair ties? I can't see how to get them to fit!

They have to be the very small hair elastics... I can try to take some pictures tonight.

I took it one step further. If you open the part of the headband that contains the hair elastic you will see a plastic piece there... I actually filed down a channel on either side of that and crazy glued in the hair elastic... that way you can cut out the metal bit and size it perfectly. Better than the original.

Easier would be to remove the whole thing, plastic bits and all and just use the hair elastic without cutting or glueing. Make sure that the side with the metal bit on the elastic is in the headphone cup side and loop it around the extended bit. The feel will be a little off and it is hard to get the fit perfect... over time the elastics may snap as well. I would personally use the other method if you have the patience.

Reading this over, it doesnt make too much sense unless you have the things open in front of you, so as I said I will try to take some pictures for you.
340smile.gif

Jan 26, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #264 of 383
Are these headphones glued together no screws?

Jan 26, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #265 of 383
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Are these headphones glued together no screws?

lol... no, its all little screws
tongue.gif

I just used crazy glue to affix the hair elastic to a plastic piece that... well, it is hard to explain. You will see when I take the pictures tonight.

Jan 26, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #266 of 383
To get a new level of sound (I beleive my ears and my feelings, they both share the same thing) I had to pay my bill. And I think, I did. I want to thank who shares their information about AKG K340. Especially my thanks goes to Philodox and Aerius.

The story is like this:

I read hundreds of posts about headphones (the longest part, took about a year).

Bid and lost for K340 at 8 times. Then one day I won them (the hardest part, took nearly 5 months).

Waited for a month to receive them from a friend of mine who came from Germany (endless days and hours).

Got my silver coated copper and other stuff from USA (took about one month).

After 5 days of hard work for modding I have tried nearly everything.

And finally: Yes, I have done it!!!

All the pain has gone. Just the most detailed flow of music with the emphasis on the midrange is going through not only to my ears but also to my soul.

340smile.gif

Pics of my modded K340:

Driver unit and self adhesive window isolation foam with electrical tape mod:
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=1/2516314722.jpg&s=x4

Driver unit, white diaphgrams:
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=1/2516343710.jpg&s=x4

Gold plated mini jack:
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=1/2516371096.jpg&s=x4

Red Screen mod:
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=1/2516383785.jpg&s=x4

Red Screen mod from an angle:
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=1/2516394165.jpg&s=x4

K340 from top angled:
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=1/2516405215.jpg&s=x4

K340 from side:
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=1/2516431140.jpg&s=x4

The finished product:
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=1/2516355263.jpg&s=x4

Jan 27, 2006 at 1:00 AM Post #267 of 383
Ok, very lazy right now and the OC is coming on, so I'm just going to point you guys to the images right now... I will put everything in a post with captions later on.

UPDATE: Pictures now here...

340smile.gif

Jan 27, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #268 of 383
wow, great pics both of you guys, very informative for our next gen k340 users
340smile.gif
Looks very similar to mine, except for the screen mod. Maybe i can apply the same mods on my k270s when i get them. Isnt DIY fun? Happy Listening!

Jan 27, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #269 of 383
Philodox, those pictures helped a ton even without captions. After having taken the elastic off, I could not for the life of me figure out how to put it back on. I'm not even going to tell you what I was trying to do, I was so far off. Thanks!

Jan 27, 2006 at 1:19 PM Post #270 of 383
I'm glad the pictures helped.
smily_headphones1.gif

I didn't get around to captioning the pictures last night, but I will now for the hell of it.
wink.gif

0-headband.JPG

I included this picture to show how I trimmed down and attached the K501 headband.

0.1-meandpenny.JPG

Here is a kind of shakey picture of me wearing the K340's... my cat Penny is rather interested in the XLR connectors.
340smile.gif

1-side-elastic.JPG

This shows how the elastics look. Black would be more stealth, but I thought the red looked nice with the bloodwood.

2-inside-elastic.JPG

This isn't a very good picture, but it shows the plastic bit and why it is best to use it if you have the time and patience to file the channels and crazy glue the elastic in. Everything just holds together/positions better and seems more true to the original. If you don't do this there is a sound when 'extending' that sounds like the elastic is scraping against the plastic channels that it goes through.

3-cup-elastic.JPG

This shows the elastic on the cup end. Originally I had it in the standard elastic channel [that curved bit you can see], but it was a little too loose, so I just stretched it around the protruding piece. Eventually I will probably resize the elastic so that this is not necissary.

elastic elastic #2

A couple pictures showing how I affixed the elastic to the plastic piece. You need to make sure that the channel you file is deep enough so that after glueing the elastic in it is flush with the outer edge of the plastic piece.

As you can see I had quite a few leftovers...

Here are some pictures showing the simpler method:
6-newelastic.JPG

You will want the part of the elastic with the metal bit in the cup like this.

7-technique.JPG

It is hard to see what I am doing here, but to get the correct tension you may need to flip the elastic over itself. This also allows the metal bit to brace against the protruding piece of plastic and stops it from shifting too much.

And finally, here are some nice shots I took to use as my wallpaper at work... One Two

Users who are viewing this thread

Back