Meier Audio StageDAC
Jun 2, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #557 of 634
nice one cheers mate

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #558 of 634
Hello guys!

just got a stagedac recently and is happy with it. Everything works perfectly, "for a while". Recently i discovered that my sound output randomly freezes when hooked up to the stagedac. It happens when i'm playing music on latest foobar (with WASAPI) and latest potplayer. Sometimes it happens after 1 or 2 hours of playtime, sometimes it happens after 20min of playtime. I have no idea whats the problem since there is no driver to install. The current fix i have is to restart the device or replay the track (sometimes this does not work)

Which brings me to my second, but minor, problem. The USB port on the stagedac is extremely loose. When i plugin my Furutech Formula 2 usb cable, the cable may simply "slip" out of the port (i put my stagedac on a shelf and my pc is at the bottom). I had to position it in such a way that it is most stable and do my best not to move it.

When the audio freeze occurs, the USB cable is stationary. This is certain since it is on a shelf and no one has touched neither the cable nor the device.

Is anyone having a similar problem(s) as I am currently experiencing? My OS is Win7 with latest foobar and latest potplayer.

Thanks for any reply.

Sep 20, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #559 of 634
Nope, I have none of the problems you described with my stagedac. Did you get it new from Meier Audio? I suggest contacting Jan Meier directly.

Sep 20, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #560 of 634

I am not Sherlock Holmes but every sentence in your post points to the obvious: You  very likely have a connection/contact problem. Not sure why you are so keen to dismiss the obvious, unless the Stagedac and your shelf is in a vacuum decoupled from the rest of the world 
biggrin.gif

Hello guys!

just got a stagedac recently and is happy with it. Everything works perfectly, "for a while". Recently i discovered that my sound output randomly freezes when hooked up to the stagedac. It happens when i'm playing music on latest foobar (with WASAPI) and latest potplayer. Sometimes it happens after 1 or 2 hours of playtime, sometimes it happens after 20min of playtime. I have no idea whats the problem since there is no driver to install. The current fix i have is to restart the device or replay the track (sometimes this does not work)

Which brings me to my second, but minor, problem. The USB port on the stagedac is extremely loose. When i plugin my Furutech Formula 2 usb cable, the cable may simply "slip" out of the port (i put my stagedac on a shelf and my pc is at the bottom). I had to position it in such a way that it is most stable and do my best not to move it.

When the audio freeze occurs, the USB cable is stationary. This is certain since it is on a shelf and no one has touched neither the cable nor the device.

Is anyone having a similar problem(s) as I am currently experiencing? My OS is Win7 with latest foobar and latest potplayer.

Thanks for any reply.

Sep 20, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #561 of 634
bladepopper, get in touch with Jan. He is extremely helpful and fair about any problem with his gear. He will walk you through diagnosis of the problem, and replace if necessary.

Sep 21, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #562 of 634
i contacted Dr Meier himself today and he says its most likely the connection problem. However I am all the way in Taiwan and my device warranty has just expired! I doubt shipping all the way to Europe and back is worth it! What are my fixing options? I have considered re-solder the USB port myself but I think even with audio grade solder something might sound wrong and not to mention human error (though i am electrical engineering student atm)

btw, who is Jan?? Sorry I am new comer lol.

Thanks for all replies!

Sep 21, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #564 of 634

Quote:
I have considered re-solder the USB port myself but I think even with audio grade solder something might sound wrong and not to mention human error (though i am electrical engineering student atm)

If the warranty has expired but it seems like a simple procedure to fix it, I would consider trying to fix it yourself. Just recently I also had connection problems with my Shanling cd player. The left channel analog line-out showed symptoms you described (working only "for a while") and the digital coax out, which I connected to my Stagedac, put out absolutely no signal. I fixed both connections myself with normal solder, and it sounds sweet. Personally I don't buy into this whole "audiophile-grade" solder and cables scam, but to each his own huh. 
Although on second thought, my connection problems involved simple RCA jacks, I can imagine that a USB port is a little more complicated. It's up to you.

Apr 25, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #566 of 634
When using the variable outputs with a power amplifier for speakers, should I use the HIGH or LOW gain position? In my case it would be a Rotel RB 1070 powering a pair of B&W 704 floor standing speakers.

A related question: If used with an entry-level integraded amp, such as NAD C325 BEE, which can be used as preamp our just amplifier, should I use the volume control of the preamp or StageDAC?

tks

Apr 29, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #567 of 634
The gain is dependent on the source's input voltage so you may want it on one setting for a CD player and another for an iPod. If the volume on the Stage DAC is defeatable use the one on your amp. Trust your ears over this and all advice.

Jun 2, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #569 of 634
Hello, I asked Jan about a new DAC and he replied:
"A new DAC has been planned. It is expected to be launched in 4..5 months. It will be worth the wait!

:)

Jan"

That is it. And the waiting begins. I hope this could be of some help.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back