Meier Audio StageDAC
Oct 5, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #586 of 634
Dear headfellows,

design of the successor of the STAGEDAC has been seriously delayed by certain parts being temporarily out of production.

However, I hope to receive the first production prototypes in 1..2 weeks. If all goes well batch-production will start soon thereafter.

There are indeed also plans for a DAC/amp unit. However, this will be a budget-device.

Cheers

Jan

Oct 5, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #587 of 634
Great news Jan!

Oct 5, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #588 of 634
Indeed, I'm looking forward to specs and features, curious how to even improve on the Stagedac. I've been enjoying mine for many hours each day for over a year now!

Oct 6, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #589 of 634
A balanced DAC with the Meier crossfeed would be awesome!
beerchug.gif

Oct 6, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #592 of 634
I do not think Meier will choose to make anything balanced with XLR-plugs or other "odd" plugs etc. because he already have the excellent Active Balanced Ground. The active balanced ground is one of the main reasons I choose the Meier amps becuase it gives the sound-advantages of balanced amplifiers without having to change plugs on my headphones. 

Oct 6, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #593 of 634
Thanks for weighing in but XLR plugs are far from odd, they are by far the industry standard for connecting balanced equipment.

Oct 7, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #594 of 634
Quote:
Thanks for weighing in but XLR plugs are far from odd, they are by far the industry standard for connecting balanced equipment.

Yes I know. XLR-plugs are not odd. But the balanced plugs RSA and iBasso use in their portables are they market standard? A plug you can buy in any HiFi store in the world like XLR?

Oct 7, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #595 of 634
Quote:
is this the place for wishes :wink: for me important, must have two outputs like the stagedac, one variable for the aktiv speaker and one fixed for the headamp. nice feature if it could have at least one analog input. exited what name he will get and if the case is again 1cm bigger than classic, like concerto/stagedac :wink:

Indeed!

Analog input would be step forward, but all digital inputs should be left.

I use in my stageDAC all inputs: 1 coax - CD transport, 2 coax - ND-S1 (ipod digital transport), USB - PC, toslink - TV (DVBT, HD videos etc.).

Oct 14, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #596 of 634
Dear headfellows,

> A balanced DAC with the Meier crossfeed would be awesome!

Sorry, no balanced outputs. This would increase costs considerably and only few people use balanced outputs anyway.

> must have two outputs like the stagedac, one variable for the aktiv speaker and one fixed for the headamp.

It has!

> Analog input would be step forward, but all digital inputs should be left.

An analog input on a DAC simply doesn't make sense. An analog source should be connected directly to the amp. For this reason the CLASSIC has two pairs of inputs (whereas the CONCERTO only had one pair).

The DAC will have the same inputs as the STAGEDAC. But USB will now accept 24/192!

Cheers

Jan

Oct 14, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #597 of 634
Thanks Jan!

Does this mean you have now received the prototype?

Anything you are willing to tell us about how it differs or improves on the STAGEDAC?

Cheers

André

Oct 14, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #599 of 634
Quote:
( ... )  
> Analog input would be step forward, but all digital inputs should be left.

An analog input on a DAC simply doesn't make sense. An analog source should be connected directly to the amp. For this reason the CLASSIC has two pairs of inputs (whereas the CONCERTO only had one pair).

The DAC will have the same inputs as the STAGEDAC. But USB will now accept 24/192!

( ... )

For me it make sense, because i'm using concerto :)

Oct 15, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #600 of 634
I hope the new one turns out well - I love the heck out my current one.

The only improvement that I can see really is the potentiometer; low volume channel balance isn't as nice as I would ideally like, but as I don't use that feature anymore it's not an issue for me now. Stepped attenuators are really nice, but those are rather pricey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back