Meier Audio StageDAC
Feb 23, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #513 of 634
I just got a chance to really mess with the crossfeed settings on the StageDAC while listening to the album "Underneath the Pine" by Toro Y Moi, and it was awesome.

I'm still unsure which settings I like best for Delay and Intensity. But like someone else mentioned, the Crossfeed in speaker mode sounds pretty good. It gave the music a very wide sense of space, to me. I also really like the Tonal Balance feature. Depending on the song, of course, it's nice to be able to add a bit, or more than a bit, of boost in the low and high ends to even things up.

I'm really impressed with the different sounds you can get out of this thing. It's great to have to ability to make very noticeable tweaks without having to open the thing up and mess with the internals. You don't ever feel like  your stuck with just one sound.

Feb 23, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #515 of 634
Quote:
Sorry for being off topic but I can't stop wondering what Jan Meier is up to now :)

If I remember correctly, I think someone mentioned before that he was discontinuing the Concerto...

Maybe he's working on its' replacement 
rolleyes.gif

Feb 23, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #516 of 634

Quote:
Quote:

If I remember correctly, I think someone mentioned before that he was discontinuing the Concerto...

Maybe he's working on its' replacement 
rolleyes.gif

Of course he is.... I just bought one :)

Feb 24, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #517 of 634
Only the black ones. I believe most people ordered the black ones so he is now left with a large stock of silver, which he needs to sale first. Not sure how wise such decision is as many people set on a black unit my just look elsewhere..

Feb 24, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #518 of 634
Yeah, I really like my black Concerto. I have it paired with a Silver StageDAC right now though. I wish it were black, but it's not enough to bother me.

If anything, I wish the LED's were the same on both. The black models have blue LEDs and the silver Models, Red LEDs.

I say it doesn't bug me now, but watch, in a couple weeks I'm either going to have a completely black, or silver Concerto/StageDAC combo.

Feb 25, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #519 of 634
For those who are using both outputs simultaneously...

Does is have any effect on the sound when both outputs are used?

I know when I used both the Mapletree's outputs at the same time, the volume was decreased on both headphones. Which is expected, because of the higher demand of power usage. But I was just curious if there's any of these traits when using both outputs simultaneously of the StageDAC.

It won't be any time soon, but the reason I'm asking is because the next purchase I'm planning is something along the Stax/Electrostatic line. So since I can't use my Concerto for that, I'm hoping to at least take advantage of the StageDAC's dual outputs to save from having to plug/unplug frequently, since it's difficult to reach behind the shelf I have my Amp/Dac on.

EDIT: Yes, I would just try this myself, but I've sold off a lot of my stuff, so I've got no second amp.

Feb 28, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #520 of 634
Anyone managed to try the dacmini? How does it compare to the stagedac? I am especially interested in how the dacmini stacks up to the stagedac/concerto combo when listening with the Audeze LCD2.

Mar 6, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #522 of 634
Quote:
I love my silver units but the black ones are just gorgeous with the blue LEDs. 

I know man... I look at my black Concerto and REALLY wish my StageDAC was black also.

But finding a black StageDAC for sale is nearly as hard as finding a black Concerto...

Mar 7, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #523 of 634
Hey guys, another question for you.

I was listening to some music today in 96khz through the StageDAC, and realized that my computer was outputting 44.1khz, so I went to my MIDI setup to change the output to 96khz, and the song became fuzz. Than I looked over at the StageDAC and I realized the fuzz was due to the oversampling being on the bottom setting, so I set the oversampling to the middle setting and the song came back on.

So my question is, what is the optimal solution for this? (Considering that not all my music is 96khz, mostly 44.1khz) I'm hoping that I've narrowed the answers down to the three correct possibilities.

1. Set my computer to output 96khz and set the StageDAC on the middle "oversampling" setting

2. Leave my computer outputting 44.1khz and set the StageDAC to the bottom "oversampling" setting

3. They're both technically the same, so it wouldn't really matter.

Mar 8, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #525 of 634
I thought the StageDAC can't do 8X oversampling (bottom setting) with 96kHz input.  The manual says: "Note: 8-fold oversampling is only possible with digital input signals with sampling frequencies up to 48kHz. 4-fold oversampling is possible with signals up to 96kHz and 2-fold oversampling can be used at all sampling frequencies up to 192kHz." This is at the bottom of the 4th page, in the "Selection of the oversampling factor" section.

I've never tried 96kHz files, but the 8-fold oversampling might explain the fuzz you're experiencing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back