Meier Audio StageDAC
Jan 24, 2010 at 8:03 AM Post #316 of 634
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilashort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What another kind of music do you listen/liked??
Thank you

I am debating to get this DAC or the V-dac because of his price (a big bang for the buck) and size (but not as important now...)

Hi, I listen to vocal jazz, like early Diana Krall f.i., the later albums of Leonard Cohen with the dark voice (as opposed to his earlier albums), Chris Isaak, recent Roxy Music, Cowboy Junkies....bassically a lot of vocal music with often (semi-)acoustic instruments.
Electronics include Cafe Del Mar and other ambient stuff, the Stagedac is great for this but not to my liking for the vocal stuff. YMMV.

Feb 28, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #320 of 634
interest seems to have cooled somewhat on the stagedac.

Mar 1, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #321 of 634
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
interest seems to have cooled somewhat on the stagedac.

No. We just stopped talking about it because we were enjoying playing with its options and then simply enjoying listening through it.
wink_face.gif

Mar 1, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #322 of 634
Yepp, I'm as happy with mine as I was the first day. But it feels somewhat strange that it hasn't gotten more attention around here, it's a great dac for a reasonable price. Maybe it's because none of the more high profile headfiers has given it the typical rave reviews that many new products get.

For me personally all I can say is that I prefer it to my $2000 Naim CD5x cd player.

Mar 1, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #323 of 634
It's overall approach is just superior. Separated digital and analog PSUs, ultra-fast OPAMPs, superb DACs in dual-mono mode, quality-only parts and powerful 2,2 Vrms ouputs. True Hi-End DAC for €595? That's no-brainer. I know it will be mine first time i saw it. And yea, it sounds great, im not sure it could compare in anything in it's price category, and i don't really want to do, it just sound that good every time, you gotta hear that to belive.

Also Jan is a great man to make a deal with.

Mar 1, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #324 of 634
Count me in as another very happy owner of a StageDAC!

Mar 6, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #325 of 634
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan Meier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear Headfellows,

>> How old are you??

> I juste laughed out loud at this one.

Exactly that was the reaction I hoped for. Guys, it was just a joke, referring to the expression "you're never too old to learn"! Don't always take things too seriously!!

> Actually your front panel *is* complicated it consists of a set of switches accompanied by several unexplained icons many of which can have no possible meaning without referring to a manual.

Very true, but ........ how could it be otherwise?
The functionality of this DAC in many aspects is very different from any other device. There is simply nothing that compares. Reading the manual is therefore considered obligatory. Adding more text to the frontplate or using different symbols (there are no standard symbols for the functions performed by the switches) would not make a difference.

> My automobile has bloody loads of switches and dials yet any one on this forum (who can drive a manual transmission car, legally) could drive it without referring to the manual.

True, but the features of your car are more or less standard and shared by many other cars. Therefore people know what to expect and what to look for. If you would put somebody in your car who hasn't driven any car for the last 30 years, he also wouldn't know where all these extra buttons are to be used for! Airconditioning, navigation, CD-player, .... would all be new and inexplicable for him.

> Why does the interface have to be populated with obscure icons when simple text labels would explain the function easily i.e

With so many switches the frontplate would be very crowded. Moreover, once you know the functionality (after reading the manual!) you will never look at the symbols/text again. You don't have to look for the horn-symbol in your car to know how to toot, do you?

Also, personally I find these symbols aesthetically more appealing then just mere text. Of course people may feel differently but tastes do differ. In decisions like these it simply isn't possible to please everyone.

> A picture is worth a thousand words.

That's how I feel it too! :)

> the problem is that the icons are horrible. I am an experienced engineer, and this DAC would not pass our user experience designers.

When designing a device it's not just all about functionality. What an engineer wants is not always what a customer hopes for.

Look at the iPod. It's not a succes only because of its engineering but also because of its design using symbols that also do not explain much for the inexperienced user but that keep the design sleek and simple. The visual aspect does count!

> What are some of those squiggly icons for? Are they for high, medium, low?

Even engineers sometimes have to read a manual! :)

Cheers

Jan

I have decided I like Jan, his sense of humour, and his shiny tech-wizardry. I'm going to buy one.

Mar 7, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #326 of 634
Quote:

Originally Posted by NervousE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have decided I like Jan, his sense of humour, and his shiny tech-wizardry. I'm going to buy one.

i will be amazed if you regret it
L3000.gif

Mar 7, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #327 of 634
Ha I would hope not, £530 is a lot of money to me at the moment!! If it IS a disappointment I shall have to synthesise some happiness...
o2smile.gif

(Synthetic Happiness) - for those interested

Seriously tho, its this or the dacmagic for less than half the price... I'm so tempted to just get the dacmagic and use the other money saved on new tubes and caps for x-cans upgrade. But then I reckon if I get a really nice DAC now then I'll not need to buy another for ages... Then on the otherhand DAC technology seems to move faster than other areas so maybe the dacmagic is best to tide me over, then when I do upgrade it'll be to something more advanced than what is currently on the market...
I am overthinking this and moving in circles again! gaa!

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #328 of 634
Quote:

Originally Posted by NervousE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ha I would hope not, £530 is a lot of money to me at the moment!! If it IS a disappointment I shall have to synthesise some happiness...
o2smile.gif

(Synthetic Happiness) - for those interested

Seriously tho, its this or the dacmagic for less than half the price... I'm so tempted to just get the dacmagic and use the other money saved on new tubes and caps for x-cans upgrade. But then I reckon if I get a really nice DAC now then I'll not need to buy another for ages... Then on the otherhand DAC technology seems to move faster than other areas so maybe the dacmagic is best to tide me over, then when I do upgrade it'll be to something more advanced than what is currently on the market...
I am overthinking this and moving in circles again! gaa!

Go for the Stagedac, you will have no regrets. The sound in the Stagedac is second to none and the crossfeed/delay controls are great. The only other piece of equipment that gives you proper crossfeed/delay control is the SPL Phonitor (I also have one) but in a more subtle way (due to the fact the the Phonitor resolve the aural differences in the analog domain and the Stagedac directly in the digital domain).
Do not settle for second best: it is a more costly option in the longer time!
o2smile.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #330 of 634
Darn, I can't make up my mind between the StageDac and Audio-GD DAC19

I really dig the crossfeed features, since I listen to older jazz and classical orchestra a lot..
I think it boils down to how the quality of the DAC compare..

Any chance the Audio-GD sounds better or much different hen the StageDac?

Writing this I realise I'm gonna go for the StageDac....I think
biggrin.gif

Thanks a lot for the excellent write ups, it helps a lot Leonardo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back