Meier Audio Daccord
Jul 22, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #241 of 715
Quote:
Avi, that is fantastic feedback...and that is one beautiful set-up you have there!…[snip]…As many of us have already noted, even the crossfeed filter succeeds in neither adding nor taking away anything from the music...it simply allows it to be presented in a manner that is a better approximation of how we actually hear when not wearing headphones. Every night when I get home from work, I look forward to some "Meier Time"! 

Thanks, Focker. About the crossfeed, it has to be compared to another implementation to truly appreciate just how NOT THERE it is. I had crossfeed on my iMod before they implemented the Meier circuit in software, and while it make the music easier to listen to, there was an audible difference in the sound between activated and not activated. In my opinion, it was worth the trade-off as I could now listen for hours without the headache. Then I heard the Meier circuit in iMod even before I got the Jazz, and at first I thought it didnt work--the music sounded the same, just a little forward. That wasn't crossfeed, was it? Then I got the Jazz, and the beauty of the implementation finally hit me: the music sounded the same; only the placement changed (to protect the innocent cochleas)! Lastly, I predict it will not be long, if you are able, that you will give in and get some Meier gear for work
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 22, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #242 of 715
Quote:

Thanks, Focker. About the crossfeed, it has to be compared to another implementation to truly appreciate just how NOT THERE it is. I had crossfeed on my iMod before they implemented the Meier circuit in software, and while it make the music easier to listen to, there was an audible difference in the sound between activated and not activated. In my opinion, it was worth the trade-off as I could now listen for hours without the headache. Then I heard the Meier circuit in iMod even before I got the Jazz, and at first I thought it didnt work--the music sounded the same, just a little forward. That wasn't crossfeed, was it? Then I got the Jazz, and the beauty of the implementation finally hit me: the music sounded the same; only the placement changed (to protect the innocent cochleas)! Lastly, I predict it will not be long, if you are able, that you will give in and get some Meier gear for work
very_evil_smiley.gif

My take on the crossfeed initially was;  is this even necessary?  After spending more hours with the DAC/Amp, I get it now.  Jan Meier talks about the psychoacoustic confusion that accompanies highly separated sound.  That's it exactly.  Sound separation so intense you have to redirect instrumentation to the center to prevent fatigue. That speaks volumes about how great the Dac is, you have to dampen the effectiveness of sound seperation because it works so well. 

I actually think the crossfeed is better employed with more complex music.  Solo acoustic is fine without the crossfeed.

Jul 22, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #243 of 715
Quote:

very_evil_smiley.gif

haha, I think you may be right about that...I've been eyeballing one of his portable amps for work 
biggrin.gif

As for the (frickin amazing) crossfeed circuit, I love that he has it available on both the dac and the amp...I'm splitting the DAC signal to both my Classic and my Little Dot amp, which I use solely with my Grados, and now the Little Dot has taken on a new life. Love it!

Jul 25, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #245 of 715
I'm using the Daccord for some time now and I need to say that it's one of the best decisions I've made regarding price/value ratio. The unit is "pleasantly detailed" and neutral. It brings the best of my Black Pearl amp (EarStream company) and HD-580 combo. Nothing hi-end, rather a head-fi classic, but it sings to my ears :) For now, the best setting for me is the crossfeed and lows elevation switches  in the lower position (average). I have one question though: Should I leave the Daccord on all the time? If so, do you know what is the idle power consumption?

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #246 of 715
^ I leave daccord's predecessor (the stagedac) on all the time. Iirc Jan recommends this, saying turn them off only if they won't be used for a while. I presume this means draw is low.

Jul 26, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #247 of 715
I believe it's something like 4W or 9W but I can't remember exactly. I hooked it up a power meter quite a long time ago...

Jul 26, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #248 of 715
Ok, thanks for the info! The Meier site says: power uptake: 6 W, so I guess that at idle it should be lower.

Jul 27, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #249 of 715
IT FINALLY ARRIVED TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I'll be working until 9:00-9:30 tonight, so I won't have much time to play for a while, but still-- HOT DIGGITY DOG!!!!! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAHHHH!!!!!! 
size]

(In case I'm being too subtle here, I'm a bit excited. 
size]
)

Jul 27, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #250 of 715
Quote:
IT FINALLY ARRIVED TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I'll be working until 9:00-9:30 tonight, so I won't have much time to play for a while, but still-- HOT DIGGITY DOG!!!!! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAHHHH!!!!!! 
size]

size]
)

Heck yeah!!!!!  I'm excited for ya!!!! :)

Jul 27, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #251 of 715
Quote:

size]

size]
)

beerchug.gif
 Enjoy
beyersmile.png

Jul 27, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #252 of 715
Thanks guys!! Already had a moment of despair when I couldn't get audio out of one channel... Only to realize that I'd plugged in the RCA cables left-right, instead of up-down, thus confirming my long-held suspicion that I am, in fact, an utter goober 
size]

Still got a lot of work to do to fully integrate this into my system (I ran everything balanced from my D100 before, so I've got to change everything over to single-ended again), and I've barely had any time to listen thus far, but my initial impression is that transients seem very well defined, but less harsh than the D100. Way too preliminary to make any substantive claims about the sound though, so take this with an iceberg of salt :wink:

I am having a lot of stuttering issues with the digital stream though... Might be because I had to change my output mode in JRMC 18 from WASAPI to 'Direct Sound.' I'll play around with that a bit and get it figured out though. 

And I've gotta say-- the pictures don't do the silver versions any true justice. I liked the look of the black ones way better in the pictures, but stuck with silver as it matched everything else I've got-- and man, does it have a classy, sexy look to it!! I'll just consider that a bonus at this point 
size]

Jul 27, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #253 of 715
Quote:
Thanks guys!! Already had a moment of despair when I couldn't get audio out of one channel... Only to realize that I'd plugged in the RCA cables left-right, instead of up-down, thus confirming my long-held suspicion that I am, in fact, an utter goober 
size]

Still got a lot of work to do to fully integrate this into my system (I ran everything balanced from my D100 before, so I've got to change everything over to single-ended again), and I've barely had any time to listen thus far, but my initial impression is that transients seem very well defined, but less harsh than the D100. Way too preliminary to make any substantive claims about the sound though, so take this with an iceberg of salt :wink:

I am having a lot of stuttering issues with the digital stream though... Might be because I had to change my output mode in JRMC 18 from WASAPI to 'Direct Sound.' I'll play around with that a bit and get it figured out though. 

And I've gotta say-- the pictures don't do the silver versions any true justice. I liked the look of the black ones way better in the pictures, but stuck with silver as it matched everything else I've got-- and man, does it have a classy, sexy look to it!! I'll just consider that a bonus at this point 
size]

Oh man, you got the silver?? Need pics!!!! :)

I hope the digital compatibility gets worked out for ya...I had a MyDac that I had to send back cause it wasn't playing nice with my AppleTV...the Daccord has been perfect, thankfully. 

Looking forward to more feedback...and pics!!!

Jul 29, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #254 of 715
Lol!! I just rearranged my system to accommodate the Daccord and it's not in the most photogenic state at the moment... but I'll see if I can get a few pics for you anyway, evil red LEDs and all 
size]

I'm hoping one of you might be able to help me: my audio stream seems to stutter quite frequently when playing anything (music, video, etc). I use JRMC 18 and played around with the settings on that and dug around their forum a bit (without success) before thinking to try another media player, MediaMonkey. Even with MM, same thing-- stuttering and what might be small dropouts in the sound. Given that multiple different s/w sources on the computer have the same issue, and it was not present prior to my introduction of the Daccord to my system, I'm wondering if that is the culprit. I'm going to try a few other things (swapping out cables, trying a third DAC, etc) to see if I can isolate the issue, but I was hoping one of you might be able to shed a little light on the matter. 

So what say you, gents? Any ideas for me? 

P.S.-- while I certainly haven't listened enough yet to make definitive statements, I can say that the Daccord sounds quite good to my ears, and that Dr. Meier was right to use the word 'rounded' to describe its sound. I haven't generally been a fan of a rounded-sounding signature in the past, so we'll see if this bad boy can change my mind. I believe it has the potential to, anyway 
size]

Jul 29, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #255 of 715
I wish I could offer some help, but the digital domain is not my forte...I'd ask Jan in addition to the other feedback you get. 

I know exactly what you're describing, though...for me it was always when I played anything from my itunes software directly from the laptop. It never happened when I ran wireless such as with a Squeezebox or AppleTV, which is what I'm using currently.  This seems to be a common issue between certain pairings of source to DAC. Before I bought my Peachtree Nova 125, I read in the manual that their DAC wouldn't work with the AppleExpress module because of a jitter issue. So that's when I picked up the ATV and it's been perfect ever since. 

Hope you're able to figure it out! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back