Meier Audio Daccord
Jan 17, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #46 of 715
Quote:

So by Bass Lift, that means it decreases the amount of bass, due to the crossfeed having a side-effect of increasing it?  If so that is interesting, in comparing to the Headroom amp/dacs with crossfeed; which I think are just the opposite, in that they have a switch that decreases the treble due the their crossfeed's side-effect of increasing the higher frequencies?

Hi

I think "Bass Lift" is not a good description of this switch. It covers quite a wide range :)

I have this switch on my StageDAC and I am just guessing it is the same on the Daccord.

On the StageDAC it raises the gain on frequencies below 2khz.

Here is the relevant section of the StageDAC manual:

Tonal balance

Psychoacoustic studies have shown that our sense of direction is mainly determined by the sonic components with frequencies upto 2 kHz. To keep the sonic signals as much as possible in their originial state the crossfeed filter does not effect signal components above this frequency.

In headphone mode signals that are no longer present in one channel only but are now more evenly distributed over both channels will be less isolated and become a more integrated part of the soundstage. They no longer stand out and this may feel as if the energy in the frequency range below 2 kHz is slightly reduced. This can be compensated by the first switch to the front right side of the STAGEDAC. In its lower position no frequency corrections are made but in its middle and in its upper position frequencies below 2 kHz are slightly elevated to correct the tonal balance.

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #48 of 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The above is not correct. The switching is different from the Stagedac. Jan explained the Daccord switches earlier in this thread. From left to right:

-  Gain for variable output
-  Crossfeed intensity
-  Input Selector (USB, Optical, dual Coaxial)
-  On/Off

Sorry Cooper, but you have it wrong.

As P a t r i c k said above the the first switch on left side of the front of the Daccord is the Tonal Balance switch, not variable gain output. It compensates for crossfeed distribution of lower frequencies. P a t r i c k states lower position = no attenuation, but that is on the StageDAC. On the Daccord the middle position = no attenuation, according to my manual (and also indicated by the flat line of symbol). I own both DACs.

So left to right switches of Daccord are:

(1) Tonal Balance switch - MIDDLE = No attenuation. DOWN = below 2k slightly elevated. UP = stronger elevation below 2k;
(2) Crossfeed filter switch - MIDDLE = Crossfeed off. DOWN = Low level crossfeed. UP = Higher level crossfeed.
(3) Input selection - UP = USB. MIDDLE = First COAX. DOWN = Optical or second COAX if no optical input.
(4) Power switch.

Gain variance from the standard fixed output of 2.3 Vrms, or from the variable ouput of 0 - 2.3 Vrms, is done by internal jumpers similar to StageDAC.

Hope that clarifies the Daccord.

R

(edit = spooling !!)

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #50 of 715
Judging from the picture of the Daccord Jan has dropped some of the adjustments that were available on the StageDAC.

I confess the tecky part of me rather likes the available options on the StageDAC, I quite like reading the manual and flicking the switches to favoured settings.

I do think that I can hear the differences, however I will include the caveat that I am very convinced of the effects of autosuggestion in these kinds of things, so I would be interested some day to try and see if I really can hear the differences in double blind listening tests.

That aside it looks like these different settings are no more on the Daccord.

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #51 of 715
Quote:
Edit: Sorry Patrick, apparently you are right regarding the left-most switch.

Thank you. I get things like this wrong loads of times 
happy_face1.gif

In another thread I completely forgot about the existence of the Sennheiser HE60. A headphone which years ago I had read about and lusted after.

Jan 18, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #52 of 715
Patrick there's information earlier in this thread about the reduced tuning options and why.

Don't underestimate the brain's ability to learn to differentiate subtle differences, even though auto suggestion must be considered too.

Raksasa looking forward to your comparison of stage dac and daccord - when you're ready :wink:

Jan 18, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #53 of 715
Thanks for all the info about the switches!  I like that it has the bass/midrange boost switch - might even like to try using that when the crossfeed isn't engaged.

I tried a software crossfeed plugin in WinAmp a few years ago and was amazed at how it helped in many songs with things like a more cohesive placement of individual sounds in the soundstage. Particularly it would often bring the bass into a identifiable placement, rather than just spread out over the entire soundstage.  However, I don't use WinAmp, but instead use JRiver Jukebox which I have never found a crossfeed filter for, so to make a long story short, this DAC interests me very much.

I suppose I should go find the StageDac thread to get an idea about it's qualities as a DAC which I assume this one should sound similar to? What should we expect from this DAC as far as DAC descriptive adjectives (examples provided for your convenience):  Detailed?, Bright?, Smooth?, Warm?, Flat?, Analog?, Digital?, Impactful?, Deep Bass?, Extended Highs?, Lush Mids?, Recessed MIds?, Forward?, Laid back?, and/or etc?

Jan 18, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #54 of 715
Try my (long) comparison of stagedac, ee minimax and bifrost. shouldn't be hard to find. Short version: stagedac is detailed, transparent and neutral.

Definitely read the stagedac thread. There is a very good review by Leonardo somewhere between page 30 and 40 IIRC.

Of course, we don't know whether the SD and Daccord are similar until reports come in!

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #55 of 715
Quote:
Thanks for all the info about the switches!  I like that it has the bass/midrange boost switch - might even like to try using that when the crossfeed isn't engaged.

I tried a software crossfeed plugin in WinAmp a few years ago and was amazed at how it helped in many songs with things like a more cohesive placement of individual sounds in the soundstage. Particularly it would often bring the bass into a identifiable placement, rather than just spread out over the entire soundstage.  However, I don't use WinAmp, but instead use JRiver Jukebox which I have never found a crossfeed filter for, so to make a long story short, this DAC interests me very much.

I suppose I should go find the StageDac thread to get an idea about it's qualities as a DAC which I assume this one should sound similar to? What should we expect from this DAC as far as DAC descriptive adjectives (examples provided for your convenience):  Detailed?, Bright?, Smooth?, Warm?, Flat?, Analog?, Digital?, Impactful?, Deep Bass?, Extended Highs?, Lush Mids?, Recessed MIds?, Forward?, Laid back?, and/or etc?

On the subject of the crossfeed, I find it as implemented in the StageDAC to be really excellent and I use it all the time now. I have not tried any software crossfeeds. For me the great advantage of having it in the DAC is that I can use it with my CD Player which I prefer to my computer as a source.

AiDee is totally correct when he describes the sound of the StageDAC as "detailed, transparent and neutral". I really like transparent Hi Fi components, not least because imho Hi Fi components should by definition be as transparent as possible :)

IMHO the ideal headphone setup is:

Transparent player -> transparent DAC -> transparent amp -> transparent headphones

With this arrangement you get to hear what is on the disc or in your music files. You aren't listening to the Hi Fi.

The StageDAC fits into this philosophy very well imho and I think that if you value transparency then you will really like it.

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #56 of 715
Dear headfellows,

"I was wondering if the new one has asynchronous USB implementation"

Yes, it has!

" What hase the better sound with the Daccord. The Coxial or optical input?"

I never compared but I don't expect any real difference. The DACCORD has a very refined jitter-reduction.

First customers have now received their new toy. Let's hope some reviews will appear soon!

:)

Jan

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #57 of 715
Quote:
First customers have now received their new toy. Let's hope some reviews will appear soon!

Let's hope so. I am looking forward to hear what people are saying about it. 

Jan 19, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #58 of 715
Why left the support of 24/176 in behind, as there are records in such format in market?

Jan 19, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #59 of 715
"Why left the support of 24/176 in behind, as there are records in such format in market?"

The USB-chip by CMedia doesn't allow this format. I honestly can't tell you why!

Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back