Meier Audio Corda Soul - TOTL DAC/AMP/DSP
Dec 31, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #331 of 358
Seems to me that you're a fine candidate for the MkII upgrade of the SOUL. It just removes that last hint of glare/brittleness!
I do occasionally use the Soul to measure other equipment with test signals (not just music), so I need it to pass high frequencies at high levels cleanly without clipping. Its built-in DAC is still among the best I've heard, and when I want that extra 1% during a critical listening session I can simply switch in the DA-3000.

Jan 11, 2024 at 4:14 AM Post #332 of 358
Hi,

I just recently bought the Corda Soul and I had to register to this forum just to say that it is brilliant headphone amplifier, DAC and pre-amplifier.
Very clear and ”charming” sound, and worked incredibly well also as preamplifier in my loudspeaker setup.
Jan answered all my questions regarding preamplifier use, othwerwise I wouldn’t have bought it only for headphone use.
Now that I have heard Corda Soul, I can say that I would have bought it for headphones only, if I had heard it. 🙂

I have been reading the reviews on this forum for 10+ years, but never got the idea to register until now.
This thread was a good read indeed.
I will probably after some weeks or months try to put up a short review, because I couldn’t find much experiences of Corda Soul when used also as preamplifier.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 4:30 AM Post #334 of 358
Same here - my usage runs about 90/10 preamp/headphone. It does seem we're in the minority.
The preamp might be its best attribute, so you are both using it wonderfully. Unfortunately, I don't have a speaker set up so I can't use as a preamp, but I wish I could. I do love it for headphone use as the amp is incredibly stable and clear. And the DAC is as good as any sane person needs. I have 2 headphone systems. A system of separates (DAC/Streamer), 2A3 tube amp, and 2 SS amps I switch back and forth onto the XLRs of my DAC/Streamer). Then the Corda Soul. Both systems brought together by a Roon NUC10. As good as my system of separates sound, I don't feel I am missing anything when using the Soul. I just wish I could afford a speaker set up so I could utilize that part of the Soul. Jan made it pretty clear it was one of its best uses.

Have any of you done the MK2 upgrade yet? I live in Utah in the USA, so I am quite far and haven't wanted to part with it for a month or so as it travels across the Atlantic to Germany. I will make the plunge at some point soon, though.

Jan 12, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #335 of 358
... Have any of you done the MK2 upgrade yet? I live in Utah in the USA, so I am quite far and haven't wanted to part with it for a month or so as it travels across the Atlantic to Germany. I will make the plunge at some point soon, though.
I mentioned above why the MK2 upgrade is not for me. Before taking the MK2 plunge, you might enjoy using the Soul's external DAC loop to try different DACs and see what difference it makes. It should be fun and educational, and help you with the MK2 decision.

Jan 12, 2024 at 12:09 PM Post #336 of 358
I mentioned above why the MK2 upgrade is not for me. Before taking the MK2 plunge, you might enjoy using the Soul's external DAC loop to try different DACs and see what difference it makes. It should be fun and educational, and help you with the MK2 decision.
I don't know how to isolate the DAC into other amps...

Jan 12, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #337 of 358
I took the Soul MkI version just to be sure with the analog input, because I want to play my vinyl occasionally. Now that I have tested vinyl playing through speakers, the MkII version might have been loud enough as well in my modestly sized room, I still have 6dB more headroom in the power amp gain adjustment. MkII is tempting of course, but I can’t really yet imagine what improvements I would need with this carnival of sounds! Nevertheless, Soul is very high quality preamp as well.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #338 of 358
I don't know how to isolate the DAC into other amps...
It's explained earlier in this thread. To summarize:
First, you need a DAC that has balanced XLR output.
Connect the Soul digital output to the DAC digital input.
Connect the DAC analog output to the Soul's analog input.

Now when you listen to the Soul as you normally would:
If the Soul's analog input switch is UP, then you are listening to the Soul AIO, the DAC is not used.
If that switch is DOWN, then you are using the external DAC for DA conversion, and the Soul for everything else (DSP and analog gain/volume).

Jan 12, 2024 at 12:40 PM Post #339 of 358
I took the Soul MkI version just to be sure with the analog input, because I want to play my vinyl occasionally. Now that I have tested vinyl playing through speakers, the MkII version might have been loud enough as well in my modestly sized room, I still have 6dB more headroom in the power amp gain adjustment. MkII is tempting of course, but I can’t really yet imagine what improvements I would need with this carnival of sounds! Nevertheless, Soul is very high quality preamp as well.
Indeed, the Soul is an excellent analog preamp, the best I have heard or measured.

If you have at least 6 dB of headroom with the Soul MK1, then you can get an idea of what difference the MK2 might make. Set the Soul's digital gain switch to the LOW position. This drops overall levels by 6 dB, which unloads the DA converter. Then turn up the volume accordingly (about 8-10 clicks) to restore the level to the same as before. The effect won't be fully the same as the MK2 conversion, but it gives you a small taste of what MK2 does.

This won't make any difference with analog inputs, but I don't think MK2 makes any difference with analog sources either? @Jan Meier please correct if that is wrong.

Jan 12, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #340 of 358
Indeed, the Soul is an excellent analog preamp, the best I have heard or measured.

If you have at least 6 dB of headroom with the Soul MK1, then you can get an idea of what difference the MK2 might make. Set the Soul's digital gain switch to the LOW position. This drops overall levels by 6 dB, which unloads the DA converter. Then turn up the volume accordingly (about 8-10 clicks) to restore the level to the same as before. The effect won't be fully the same as the MK2 conversion, but it gives you a small taste of what MK2 does.

This won't make any difference with analog inputs, but I don't think MK2 makes any difference with analog sources either? @Jan Meier please correct if that is wrong.
For analog inputs, the front panel digital gain switch has no effect, but there is internal gain switch for analog gain high/low optimization (mentioned in manual chapter ’Volume control’).

Jan 12, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #341 of 358
For analog inputs, the front panel digital gain switch has no effect, but there is internal gain switch for analog gain high/low optimization (mentioned in manual chapter ’Volume control’).
Yes, this is a nice feature because analog balanced XLR has 2 different standards: consumer (about 4 V) and professional (about 12 V). It enables the Soul to gain-match to either. Low gain for professional, and high gain for consumer.

Jan 12, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #342 of 358
It's explained earlier in this thread. To summarize:
First, you need a DAC that has balanced XLR output.
Connect the Soul digital output to the DAC digital input.
Connect the DAC analog output to the Soul's analog input.

Now when you listen to the Soul as you normally would:
If the Soul's analog input switch is UP, then you are listening to the Soul AIO, the DAC is not used.
If that switch is DOWN, then you are using the external DAC for DA conversion, and the Soul for everything else (DSP and analog gain/volume).
Thanks. Sorry for making you have to re-write it. I can tell it annoyed you. I want to isolate the DAC. I have plenty of amps. My DAC has XLR outputs and inputs and I have had this conversation with Jan several times. I cannot make the DAC a Fixed DAC into another amp for headphone use. So, I can compare just the DAC to another DAC coming out of a headphone amp. The unit according to Jan is not made for that. Unless I am misunderstanding, I cannot just use the Soul as a DAC into a headphone amp. That is my goal. I want to hear the DAC without the DSP or headphone amp. I want to hear the DAC into one of my headphone amps so I can hear how it sounds as just a fixed DAC. According to Jan, the Soul was not built for that. I already know that I can use my other DAC and isolate the amp. That isn't what I am trying to do.

I am sure this message just annoys your more, so sorry about that. I use the Corda Soul as an AIO. But, I have another system with a Roon Ready DAC/Streamer and I want to know how the two DACs compare out of the same headphone amp.

Jan 12, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #343 of 358
Thanks. Sorry for making you have to re-write it. I can tell it annoyed you.
You're not annoying me at all. It's an interesting discussion that could be helpful to others.
I want to isolate the DAC. I have plenty of amps. My DAC has XLR outputs and inputs and I have had this conversation with Jan several times. I cannot make the DAC a Fixed DAC into another amp for headphone use.
That sounds like the opposite of what I've been describing: use the Soul as a DAC only, where I'm talking about using everything in the Soul except the DAC.
... I use the Corda Soul as an AIO. But, I have another system with a Roon Ready DAC/Streamer and I want to know how the two DACs compare out of the same headphone amp.
On the Soul, if you set all the knobs to neutral and leave the volume at max (or some other fixed setting) then it is essentially a DAC. Digital input and analog output.

Jan 13, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #344 of 358
You're not annoying me at all. It's an interesting discussion that could be helpful to others.

That sounds like the opposite of what I've been describing: use the Soul as a DAC only, where I'm talking about using everything in the Soul except the DAC.

On the Soul, if you set all the knobs to neutral and leave the volume at max (or some other fixed setting) then it is essentially a DAC. Digital input and analog output.
So, you are saying that I can isolate the DAC? I will try it. I just got a Mjolnir Pure BiPolar, and I'd like to a/b my CFA3 and PB on the Soul as just as a DAC.

Having just been to Canjam in Dallas I tried every AIO on display. I tried the Lina Stack, The Ferrum Stack with Wandla (loved the Wandla), a Yggy stack with Mjolnir 3 (none of these were AIOs), I tried the Bartox Apex as an AIO with and without the clock, the CMA 15, The Sennheiser HDVA820, I tried the May Level 3, the DCS Rossini Apex (wow, now that is an amazing product), the T+A HA200.

I came away realizing that none of them as AIOs were better than the Corda Soul. The T+A HA200 was pretty amazing, but it wasn't better than the Soul. I have always felt that the amp section of the Soul was its best attribute, and so that is why I want to isolate it and see if I can see how it fairs without the amp section or DSP functions. Just a straight DAC feeding 2. reference headamps. I'd also. like to hear it with my EC Aficionado. Versus my reference system, the Soul has a bit less micro-detail. Hence, the reason I want the upgrade. But, as an AIO, I left Canjam thinking that only the HA200 was as good or slightly better. However, I feel the amp section of the Soul to be far superior, the DAC section of the HA200 is amazing. So, I called it a tie. I left knowing that I own one of if not the best AIOs on the market. Kudos to Jan. This little unit will live happily in my system for yrs to come.

Feb 29, 2024 at 6:33 AM Post #345 of 358

Users who are viewing this thread

Back