Meier Audio Corda Soul - TOTL DAC/AMP/DSP
Mar 2, 2024 at 8:26 AM Post #346 of 358
First time for me with the "digital loop"
Dear Gene,

of course the best choice depends on your personal taste.

The SOUL has a very natural and fluent sound. It offers a high level of micro-detail and a very precise soundstage. It lacks the "harshness" that normally comes with transistor-amplifiers.

However, the SOUL does not have a WOW-effect. It sounds effortless and with great naturalness and inner logic, which makes it a very fine choice for acustic music (jazz, classic, ......). However, for rock, pop, electronic music people may prefer an amp that is a little bit more "sounded". Of course sound can be tailored by the tone controls but some of the characteristics of the SOUL will always shine through.

Also please be noted that it's possible to direct the output of the DSP section to your Mytek and connect the analog outputs of the Mytek to the SOUL. Thus you bypass the internal DAC-section of the SOUL but still have all the digital options (tone control, crossfeed, notchfilter, ...) at your disposal.

If you send me an e-mail at meier-audio@t-online.de then I will send you a copy of the user-manual.

Cheers

Jan
First time for me with the "digital loop"

Attachments

• 20240302_142358.jpg
    20240302_142358.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Mar 2, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #348 of 358
The first remark of the rme adi-2 pro dac is that it sounds brighter. I prefer the Soul as dac because Grado's already sound bright. But I find it good to have some diversity.

Mar 27, 2024 at 10:49 AM Post #349 of 358
It's been a while. I have been trying some other audio gear. I bought some Grado headphones. I have tried the Ps2000e again on the Soul.
Going back to the Meier audio Corda Soul. This one sounds the smoothest. With better instrument placement and oh the Timbre and the Meier Audio crossfeed.
And there are 2 headphone outputs, one with 0 ohm and one with 100 ohm.
It's like having 2 different amps.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 11:04 AM Post #350 of 358
The common Grado headphone models (SR60 etc.) sound excessively bright with uneven frequency response & high distortion. That is the traditional "Grado voicing", some love it, some hate it. They can benefit from the 120 ohm output of the Soul, which acts like a tone control, boosting output around 100 Hz where the Grado impedance peaks, taming the brightness a bit.

Mar 27, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #351 of 358
The common Grado headphone models (SR60 etc.) sound excessively bright with uneven frequency response & high distortion. That is the traditional "Grado voicing", some love it, some hate it. They can benefit from the 120 ohm output of the Soul, which acts like a tone control, boosting output around 100 Hz where the Grado impedance peaks, taming the brightness a bit.
I have also learned from Jan that moving the cross feed to the right 3 notches will help to open up the stage and decrease fatigue. It has worked for me on brighter headphones.

Mar 28, 2024 at 1:13 AM Post #352 of 358
I have had MK1 and MK2 here for the past month or two. I am sending back MK1. For me, the differences in the upgrades to MK2 are fantastic. Here is what I hear, some impressions, if you will honor me by reading them. I will eventually get a review out, but I have serious neuropathy in my hands and a terminal illness so my ability to write like I once did for hours without stopping is gone and I have always written more stream of consciousness than by using an outline and notes.

Impressions:
1. First and foremost, the majority of the upgrades are to the DAC. At least this is my opinion. By improving the DAC, he has improved the DSP which exists solely in the digital domain.
2. The upgrade has removed what little etch and glare the DAC had. It was almost too neutral. Now the piece has timbral qualities that are slightly north of neutral while still remaining a similar in tuning. This smooths out the edges and gives the Mk2 impeccable tone/timbre. For me, one of the most important qualities in any component.
3. There is an increase in low level detail and micro detail as the DAC has been modernized. It still disappears into the mix, but the improvement in micro-detail allows you to hear farther into the mix, which makes the sound truly state of the art.
4. The amp has always been reference level. It competes with my Mjolnir Pure BiPolar and CFA3, both of which are two of the best SS amps on the planet. The Corda Soul's amp is that good. I don't believe he made any changes to the amp as there really was no need. I could be wrong as I didn't ask Jan what he exactly did, he wanted me to try and figure it out.
5. Decay is just about perfect. The Mk2 is fast and supple with an incredible ability to act as two different headphone amps by using either of the two headphone outputs. There is a subtlety to the sound that is incredibly enticing. I can hear the front, middle and back edge of the notes. I can hear the fingers roll across the strings of a bass.
6. The increase in micro-detail and low level detail has increased spatial awareness and ultimately improved image specificity. My ability to discern the musicians on stage in their exact spot, and even how much room there is between them has never been more acute. The midrange pocket allows us to listen from the inside out.

I am not someone who uses the Tone Controls, as I don't EQ headphones. However, I do use the cross feed and it opens up the sound stage even more which gives the midrange more information to hear.

When Jan sent it to me, he told me that some people prefer MK1 and he was interested to see what I thought. For my tastes, MK2 is a better piece of gear. The addition of timbral qualities north of neutral has really given the Soul a life, and it isn't just a sonic scalpel any longer, but a music making machine with beautiful tonal colors. This makes the whole of my music sound more lifelike and more organic. I hear it most in guitar, piano and wind instruments. My favorite band is a San Francisco Psychadelic Jazz and Rock band from the 80s and 90s who could blow through a set where they play Feelin' Alright into Afro Blue. And the guitar player will play Afro Blue and Coltrane's Sax lines on his lap steel guitar. The saxophone player has an incredible tone and pace to his playing and I feel like I can hear him breathing while he is blowing his sax. That to me is the very essence of listening to music.

Thank you, Jan. I owe a full review with pictures, and the whole experience. I promise, it will come. In the meantime, I will send impressions and write as much as my hands will allow me.

Mar 28, 2024 at 5:11 AM Post #353 of 358
I have had MK1 and MK2 here for the past month or two. I am sending back MK1. For me, the differences in the upgrades to MK2 are fantastic. Here is what I hear, some impressions, if you will honor me by reading them. I will eventually get a review out, but I have serious neuropathy in my hands and a terminal illness so my ability to write like I once did for hours without stopping is gone and I have always written more stream of consciousness than by using an outline and notes.

Impressions:
1. First and foremost, the majority of the upgrades are to the DAC. At least this is my opinion. By improving the DAC, he has improved the DSP which exists solely in the digital domain.
2. The upgrade has removed what little etch and glare the DAC had. It was almost too neutral. Now the piece has timbral qualities that are slightly north of neutral while still remaining a similar in tuning. This smooths out the edges and gives the Mk2 impeccable tone/timbre. For me, one of the most important qualities in any component.
3. There is an increase in low level detail and micro detail as the DAC has been modernized. It still disappears into the mix, but the improvement in micro-detail allows you to hear farther into the mix, which makes the sound truly state of the art.
4. The amp has always been reference level. It competes with my Mjolnir Pure BiPolar and CFA3, both of which are two of the best SS amps on the planet. The Corda Soul's amp is that good. I don't believe he made any changes to the amp as there really was no need. I could be wrong as I didn't ask Jan what he exactly did, he wanted me to try and figure it out.
5. Decay is just about perfect. The Mk2 is fast and supple with an incredible ability to act as two different headphone amps by using either of the two headphone outputs. There is a subtlety to the sound that is incredibly enticing. I can hear the front, middle and back edge of the notes. I can hear the fingers roll across the strings of a bass.
6. The increase in micro-detail and low level detail has increased spatial awareness and ultimately improved image specificity. My ability to discern the musicians on stage in their exact spot, and even how much room there is between them has never been more acute. The midrange pocket allows us to listen from the inside out.

I am not someone who uses the Tone Controls, as I don't EQ headphones. However, I do use the cross feed and it opens up the sound stage even more which gives the midrange more information to hear.

When Jan sent it to me, he told me that some people prefer MK1 and he was interested to see what I thought. For my tastes, MK2 is a better piece of gear. The addition of timbral qualities north of neutral has really given the Soul a life, and it isn't just a sonic scalpel any longer, but a music making machine with beautiful tonal colors. This makes the whole of my music sound more lifelike and more organic. I hear it most in guitar, piano and wind instruments. My favorite band is a San Francisco Psychadelic Jazz and Rock band from the 80s and 90s who could blow through a set where they play Feelin' Alright into Afro Blue. And the guitar player will play Afro Blue and Coltrane's Sax lines on his lap steel guitar. The saxophone player has an incredible tone and pace to his playing and I feel like I can hear him breathing while he is blowing his sax. That to me is the very essence of listening to music.

Thank you, Jan. I owe a full review with pictures, and the whole experience. I promise, it will come. In the meantime, I will send impressions and write as much as my hands will allow me.
That's very well written Geoffalter11 ! I also felt the timbre improvement! Unfortunately, I can not explain it in a way as you can! I am very happy I have found this Soul on Headfi and that I have sent it to Jan Meier for the MK2 upgrade.

Mar 28, 2024 at 7:43 AM Post #354 of 358
Thanks for well written impressions! Jan suggested MkII upgrade, and I simply dare not remove the Soul component from my system and await for it to come back, no can do. Your experiences safeguard that the contemplation will go on until I try it out. Maybe I need to start saving money for a second Soul. 😁

Mar 28, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #355 of 358
From what I read, the MkII has a stronger version of Meier's FF. FF is a pre-emphasis and de-emphasis method, something that has been used in other areas of audio, from analog tape to vinyl LPs and CDs. Yet Meier's use of it in amplifiers and DACs is somewhat novel, and I wonder why we don't see other companies and products using this.

Mar 28, 2024 at 11:05 AM Post #356 of 358
From what I read, the MkII has a stronger version of Meier's FF. FF is a pre-emphasis and de-emphasis method, something that has been used in other areas of audio, from analog tape to vinyl LPs and CDs. Yet Meier's use of it in amplifiers and DACs is somewhat novel, and I wonder why we don't see other companies and products using this.
Yeah I never read about others using it, even though it really is noteable. (I used to have a Classic which I upgraded to Classic FF)

Mar 28, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #357 of 358
Yeah I never read about others using it, even though it really is noteable. (I used to have a Classic which I upgraded to Classic FF)
Because he is the smartest person in audio. He is a Dr of Physics. I sometimes think he is too smart for this industry.

Apr 17, 2024 at 3:37 AM Post #358 of 358

Users who are viewing this thread

Back