MEIER AUDIO CORDA HEADFIVE: Impressions and reviews thread
Sep 14, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #376 of 430
I'll be sure to leave some feedback after I get mine. Should be loads of fun judging from what you've all had to say about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd
The MPX3/K701s offered luxurious mids and positively sparkling highs, yet faltered dubiously (at least to my ears) by deviscerating the critcal, foundational low end.

Are you saying that the MPX3 adds bass to the K701? I've never heard the root "eviscerate" used as you have.
blink.gif

Sep 14, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #377 of 430
6sn7s (which are the default tubes used in the MPX3s) do not drive low impedence/low sensitivity headphones well. You need to use a tube like a 5687....

Sep 15, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #378 of 430
KHBauer,
Eviscerated. Thank you for your astute observation and implicit correction. Just to be on the safe side, though, I supplanted the misspelling with a two-syllable synonym. Right about now, I need a shame-faced smiley. (And to think: Webster's Unabridged Dictionary was just in the next room.)
frown.gif

PKMan,
Now I wish I'd held onto the MPX3 and K701's a little longer, although I don't think the AKG's, even with 5687 tubes, would have surmounted their bass slam deficit. Well, at least with the HeadFive and the UE 5 Pro's, I don't have to worry about leaving the tubes on, or greeting customers with unsightly headphone hair.
wink.gif
Besides, I think I prefer the intimacy and head space of IEM's anyway. In addition, I'm getting a wider soundstage with the HF/EU combo than with the MPX3/K701's, or at least more of a sense of space outside my head, but that might be due to the better separation of instruments and vocals with the HeadFive.

Listened to Schubert, Brian Auger's Oblivion Express, Bob Dylan's Blood on the Tracks and 4nonBlondes (Bigger, Better, Faster, More!)--and more Keely Smith--today. The HF was not at all forgiving of the 4nB recording's tinny treble (but it didn't stop me from getting temporarily lost in Pleasantly Blue, Mr. President and Drifting). Wow, after about 125 hours, this amp has really opened up, just as Dr. Meier promised! Cymbal hits that sounded splotchy and non-descript last week are now well resolved and tingly. Brian Auger was spot-on, tight (the, I think, autoharp, in Dawn of Another Day shimmered). Acoustic guitars on BotT (Buckets of Rain) sounded roomy, rounded and nicely detailed, and Schubert's 9th (the last movement, especially) sounded sweeping and spacious. Keely Smith's S'posin' came all the way through with that purity and intimacy that only her voice can deliver.

I wouldn't characterize this amp as euphonic or warm (as I have read elsewhere), neither do I find it over emphasized in the bass. Rather, I find it fairly neutral, true to the source and irrepressibly musical (hallmarks of the the other two Meier amps I've listened to: the original HA-2 and PreHead--oh! I would so much like to audition the HA-2, Mk.II SE! One of my most memorable listening sessions involved the original HA-2, HD600's with Cardas cable and the Dave Brubeck Quartet's Time Out cd).

At $250/shipped, the HeadFive is the best deal I've ever gotten on a brand new audio product. Thanks again, Dr. Meier!

Sep 17, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #379 of 430
question, what is that middle bottom/stick/control? the left is the on/off switch and the right is the volumn control right? then what's that thing in the middle? and where can you find the serial number?
thanks

Sep 17, 2006 at 1:58 AM Post #385 of 430
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonethugz
thanks Zorander, what's a crossfeed switch?

It is basically an on/off switch for the built-in crossfeed circuit.

Quoted from Meier-Audio's site: One major feature of all CORDA headphone amplifiers is their natural crossfeed filter. This filter mimics aspects of directional hearing and strongly improves on the soundstage as produced by headphones. Listening thus becomes more natural and relaxed.

Regards.

Sep 17, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #386 of 430
Quote:

question, what is that middle bottom/stick/control? the left is the on/off switch and the right is the volumn control right? then what's that thing in the middle? and where can you find the serial number?
thanks

thats the crossfeed toggle. u can find the serial number at the bottom of the unit on a sticker.

Sep 17, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #388 of 430
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander
How many head-fiers does it take to answer this question?
very_evil_smiley.gif

p.s. Roasty, you are the second (late) repli-er.

they just excited that i got the amp
biggrin.gif

Zorander, for the stick, is it that if i got my stick up means more soundstage?

anyway, this is my first real good amp.

Sep 17, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #389 of 430
Quote:

they just excited that i got the amp
biggrin.gif

Zorander, for the stick, is it that if i got my stick up means more soundstage?

anyway, this is my first real good amp.

"Up" = Crossfeed on
"Down" = Crossfeed off

Try both settings and determine for yourself if you like the crossfeed function enabled or not. Some people do, some people don't and the rest don't care/mind.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back