MEIER AUDIO CORDA HEADFIVE: Impressions and reviews thread
Jun 19, 2006 at 9:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 430

MASantos

Headphoneus Supremus
Since many people are starting to receive their headfives I decided to start an impressions and reviews thread.

Please post your experience with the amp, equipment used and your opinions about the amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
And be honest!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 19, 2006 at 10:23 AM Post #3 of 430
Quote:

Originally Posted by device manager
I've already seen several impression posts in this forum. In fact they're scattered like the Zhaolu.

[size=xx-small]MASantos, the use of they're in your sentence should be replaced with their.[/size]
tongue.gif

I hoke up 30 minutes ago, no coffee when I wrote the post!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 19, 2006 at 12:01 PM Post #4 of 430
Yeah, I'm curious about them too. My 650s aren't selling in the FS forum, so maybe I'll get a Headfive. Are they a good match for the 650s? People are railing on me for running them off a cmoy
wink.gif

Jun 19, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #6 of 430
a

Jun 19, 2006 at 9:24 PM Post #7 of 430
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
Hello
I've been running it for a while now... I'd say that jude's review is rather right on... the amplifier has a well rounded sound that it applies to the music rather well. I"m not sure on the extension (the HF1 is a bass bottleneck), but so far the overall bigness of the bass is rather noticable. It's not nearly as boomy or out of control as the HAI MKII, but fun sounding non the less.

The amplifer is a bit taller and maybe not as refined looking as Meiers HAI MKII offering, nevertheless it is better built. there seems to be only two options for the crossfeed, which is less than was availible on the HAI MKII. the light is blue, so it fits my desktop look better.

So far the PRAT doesn't seem to be a big advantage over my older Meier but it's still burning in... i'll report on the HD650 later.

Also, as of right now, it loves the HF1.
orphsmile.gif

I must have missed that review. Can you post a link for us here?

Cheers!

Jun 19, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #8 of 430
a

Jun 19, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #9 of 430
Jan.... Received the Headfive today (7 days transit to California). S/N: 059.

Thank you for doing this for us Head-Fi..ers. The reservation process and payment process were flawless and the delivery was superb... You even went to the effort to let people pick their own S/N if desired... now that is above and beyond the call of duty! Thanks for all your efforts and a bargain on top of it... plus a little boost to Head-Fi itself.

Wish I could shake your hand....

Thanks again, Jan.

Jun 19, 2006 at 9:46 PM Post #10 of 430
Quote:

it was in the national meet impressions thread, can't find it now... he reviewed the GS1000 in the same post.

From the meet:
Meier Audio CORDA HEADFIVE

When Jan Meier contacted me to discuss a Head-Fi commemorative amp to support Head-Fi and celebrate its fifth anniversary (which will be June 20, 2006), I was thrilled with the idea. I have two Meier Audio amps right now (a Porta CORDA MkII and a PreHead Mk1)--and a third amp (CORDA HA-2 MkII pre-production unit) that Meier sent to auction off in support of Head-Fi--and they are all top-calibre amps in their price ranges. However, in an attempt to provide an even higher value headphone amplifier, Jan Meier started with his successful CORDA HA-1 MkII as a baseline, re-working the design to raise its performance bar, and then, as he did with the CORDA Aria, contracted to have the amp manufactured to his extremely high standards in Asia, to keep the costs low and the amp affordable. And, yes, at $250.00, the low price belies the CORDA HEADFIVE's level of performance, which impressed all who heard it at the National Meet.

The HEADFIVE's casework quality is impeccable, with thick, polished aluminum slabs serving as front and back plates, and a matching thick aluminum main body. The fit and finish is awesome, and had at least one gear manufacturer, who examined the HeadFive closely, seriously thinking of having some sample casework done overseas as a study in potential cost savings.

But, obviously, the most important part of any amp for a Head-Fi'er is how it sounds, and here, as with its casework, the result is something that catches you quite off guard, given the amp's price. In traditional Meier fashion, the CORDA HeadFive is a resolving amplifier, but with a little surprise: it's a little more forgiving than the likes of the HA-2 Mk2 and PreHead, with a slightly rounder tonal presentation that I haven't heard from Meier since before I exchanged my AD8161 PreHead for another Head-Fi'ers standard LM6171 PreHead. While it won't quite do the sonic scanning electron microscopy that the HA-2 Mk2 and PreHead are capable of, the HeadFive is still unquestionably articulate and detailed -- highly resolving -- and easily surpasses the performance of any $250.00 amp I've heard before it. (If you're lucky enough to have a Grado HF-1, it teams nicely with the HEADFIVE, and I can't think of 450 audio dollars more effectively spent for a desktop headphone/amp combo. Of course, if you don't already have a Grado HF-1, good luck getting one for only $200.00.)

The HEADFIVE has the brawn to take on the new Grado GS-1000 or the Sennheiser HD600/650, driving either to ear-splitting amplitude, with grace all the way there, your ears giving out long before the amp does (in fact, the HeadFive hasn't yet shown me a hint of strain). Just as impressively, it's a quiet amp, and none of my in-ear monitors could shake any hiss or noise from it at listening levels.

Head-Fi's name is part of the CORDA HEADFIVE's name. And 10% of the purchase price of every unit goes to Head-Fi. And, like the Grado HF-1 headphone (the first Head-Fi commemorative product), its performance hits a major sweet spot, and is a product I'm proud to have the site directly associated with. (Click here for information about ordering the limited edition Meier Audio CORDA HEADFIVE.)

Thanks to Jan Meier for developing the HEADFIVE, unsolicited, as just another of countless measures of what he's done so much of in the past, which is to come up with ways to support and serve the site and community. Meier Audio is one of Head-Fi's two Founding Sponsors (HeadRoom being the other), and, for his support since the very beginning, Jan Meier can't be thanked enough.

Jun 19, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #11 of 430
Quote:

Originally Posted by everyone who has reviewed this amp
Round...round...rounded sound...round...fun...rounded sound

I've just been looking through this thread and these words caught my eye. The reason for this is that I was going to say this exact word and it's not really one I use often. This amp has a really rounded sound on the bottom end that makes it really great to listen to.

I've been A/Bing it with my A.N.T. "Amber" for about two hours and this is exactly what I was thinking all the time.

I have other impressions on the Headfive which I will be adding as I listen to more and more CDs and compare with the "Amber."

For the moment, I'm really enjoying the sounds and comparisons.

I'll keep you posted.

img0127a9mr.jpg

Jun 19, 2006 at 11:48 PM Post #12 of 430
Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorjuggles
I've just been looking through this thread and these words caught my eye. The reason for this is that I was going to say this exact word and it's not really one I use often. This amp has a really rounded sound on the bottom end that makes it really great to listen to.

I've been A/Bing it with my A.N.T. "Amber" for about two hours and this is exactly what I was thinking all the time.

I have other impressions on the Headfive which I will be adding as I listen to more and more CDs and compare with the "Amber."

For the moment, I'm really enjoying the sounds and comparisons.

I'll keep you posted.

mmm... very nice doctorjuggles. i see you're not a fan of the crossfeed... what do you think of that feature? also... has anyone tried the headfive with a K701 yet?

Jun 20, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #13 of 430
I just received mine today (serial# 222). Thanks again Jan!

This is a wonderful sounding amp and perfect for my current use.

I'm using it connected to a Technics SL-XP300 (not bad, as it has an 18 bit DAC) and Grado 225. I will eventually listen to it through my 580's in the near future, but I just can't seem to take off the Grado's right now...
biggrin.gif

CD's listend to so far... Tool 10,000 days and Radiohead OK Computer (currently playing).

FWIF I'm not much of a reviewer, and I'm certaintly not going to go into much detail right now, as I've only listened to 2 CD's and don't have much to compare it with other than a mint amp and the pocket amp2, but compared to those two it is much clearer and cleaner, has much more detail and pushes the bass to an exceptional level over the other two amps. And sounds just amazing with the Grado 225.

I'm using this as my web surfing/email writing amp and is perfect for the job. I will give more feedback on the amp as I listen, but for the price, sound quality, fit and finish you can't go wrong with this wonderful piece of hardware.

Jan, can't thank you enough.

Jun 20, 2006 at 12:49 AM Post #14 of 430
a

Jun 20, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #15 of 430
Quote:

After a brief HD650 listen, i've determined that this amp is indeed much smoother than the previous HAI MKII. to put it in perspective, the smoothness reminds me of the Headroom micro w/desktop module...although, i'd have to hear it again to make any other judgements on the two.

I was just going to ask how the Headfive compares to the MicroAmp. I have the Micro and am considering the Headfive.

If anyone else can chime in on this that would be great. I want to know if I should get the Headfive. Should it compliment and/or replace the MicroAmp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back