MEIER AUDIO CORDA HEADFIVE: Impressions and reviews thread
Jun 20, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #32 of 430
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
VERY true! Here is where mine is currently:

HeadfiveandHeadphile.jpg

Hoes the H5 with the hd595? thats my setup once it arrives.

Jun 20, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #33 of 430
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch
Nice pic!

Betraying my ignorance, and not to thread-jack, what's that headphone? It's sure a pretty color.

that's the Sennheiser 60th anniversary HD595, in "Magic Red"
orphsmile.gif

Jun 20, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #34 of 430
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eisenhower
Hoes the H5 with the hd595? thats my setup once it arrives.

In a word, TERRIFIC. It's my favorite headphone paired with the Headfive so far, of all the ones I have. Really a great combo -- so good that I have made it a separate rig of it's own
biggrin.gif

If that's what your set-up is, you will be very happy.

Jun 20, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #35 of 430
a

Jun 20, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #36 of 430
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
In a word, TERRIFIC. It's my favorite headphone paired with the Headfive so far, of all the ones I have. Really a great combo -- so good that I have made it a separate rig of it's own
biggrin.gif

If that's what your set-up is, you will be very happy.

It indeed will be, Im stoked
k1000smile.gif
cant wait, my check is already sent.

Jun 20, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #37 of 430
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10
Does the amp make the K501 sound a great deal more mellow? (so far)

I'm not sure what you mean by "mellow" and I don't know what you want me to compare the amp to... so I guess I don't get your question, but I'd say no anyway mainly because I think the phone's signature plays a much larger role than the amp.
With some music, it sounds a little "mellower" than straight out of the source I'm currently using with the HeadFive but that's not necessarily the case. If anything, the K501 is somewhat more versatile though the HeadFive (the recording plays a larger role as opposed to the equipement).

Jun 20, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #38 of 430
What will the Headfive do for an open akg, for say a 701???

Jun 20, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #39 of 430
Quote:

Originally Posted by EternalShadow
What will the Headfive do for an open akg, for say a 701???

should amplify 'em

Jun 20, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #40 of 430
Quote:

Originally Posted by HFat
I'm not sure what you mean by "mellow" and I don't know what you want me to compare the amp to... so I guess I don't get your question, but I'd say no anyway mainly because I think the phone's signature plays a much larger role than the amp.

I've been interested in the K501 for some time but many people describe it as being bass light with lots of detail in the mids and highs.

I was wondering whether the amp was pulling the highs down a little so that it gives the impression of more weight.

I thought that you may have had another amp with headphones like this because they also take a lot to drive them.

So, by 'mellow' I mean less bright.

Interesting about the phone's signature because with the hd650, I found the signature of the amp to be quite strong actually.

Ian

Jun 20, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #41 of 430
Equipment used to test the unit; the source was mostly my SME Turntable, through a Bottlehead Tube Phono Preamplifier, this runs into my Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp and plugged into the Headfive were my Sennheiser HD540 Reference Headphones (600ohm). The Minimax has no Tape output so the Headfive was plugged into the preamps second set of main outputs. I also directly fed the Headfive from both my CD player and my TAG Mclaren phonostage, to get some non-tube related views of the sound. For those that are interested, mains cable was an old Deltec silver coated/copper, Teflon dielectric (for no other reason than it was the first I came too) one and interconnects were by Apature Audio.

First impression on unpacking were that the unit had excellent build quality for the price, fit and finish were very good as was the overall ‘feel’ of the unit. If I had to be really picky, the crossfeed switch is not quite at right angles to the facia and not quite central in its aperture – but that’s it.

Prior to listening the unit was attached to the CD player with a system ‘burn in’ CD track left on repeat for 12 hours, this was followed by a system demagnetisation track for an hour.

On the first listening session it was apparent that the unit had very good resolution of detail, authorative bass, nice open mid-band (and I’m sure many will liken this to being tube like) but higher frequencies felt slightly curtailed, this is also a factor of a clean overall presentation. Indeed as listening progressed I felt everything was in place and I was missing nothing, but at the same time it was evident that there was quite a high level of system noise that I’d not been aware of before. This was a cross between a low frequency hum and tube rush on the left channel. This turned out to be an ECC82 in the preamp, a 50 year old Brimar, now retired in favour of a younger (35) Brimar 13D5. The importance in mentioning this is to illustrate the resolution capabilities of the unit; this problem was barely noticeable at full volume through my speakers. Whilst on the subject of system noise, the unit itself (using a standard shorting plug test) has virtually none to speak of so won’t be affecting the overall presentation and can be pushed very hard.

Over the last few days I’ve listened to a wide variety of material though this system and if there is a complaint then its that the amp is perhaps a little on the polite side of neutral overall for some tastes – no bad thing in my book, but then again I have only listened with the 540’s – I’ve got a loan of some 595’s to try out shortly. However, it can respond to dynamic swings with gusto and through my set-up provides astonishing insight into percussion, clearly delineating the technique on even the most complex and dense drumming passages. Then again the SME is renown for this, but its great to know that there is no loss through the Headfive. The only time I felt there was a loss of details was on some large orchestral pieces, where, for instance 1st, 2nd violins and viola parts became somewhat merged. Finally, the crossfeed filter. I’m assuming mine is working, but to be honest the effects must be so subtle as to make me wonder why its there. Most of the time I couldn’t hear any difference except the very minor reduction in volume mention in the user manual. Once or twice I did feel there was a change but felt this was a negative one with the stage width seemingly diminished and curtailed spatial positioning information, especially in the context of height and depth.

My final verdict, brilliant value at 200euro – is there another mains powered unit that comes close to this price to quality ratio? Not that I know of and I’m really pleased I bought this unit on spec, as it is providing a positive and pleasurable listening experience.

Paul

Jun 21, 2006 at 7:28 AM Post #42 of 430
Quote:

Originally Posted by quique
Hi Jan, you know me because I'm an italian girl (Antonella) the bought your amp. I'm here because I want to leave a very clear message to the people that said that you could have a beef with italians. From my direct experience I state that Jan is a very kind person, very precise and polite. I didn't have problems with the reservation of the amp, with its billing and then with its shipping. I only can thank Jan once again for his big kindeness. To the audiophiles I can assure that the amp works very well.

wink.gif

Jun 21, 2006 at 1:29 PM Post #43 of 430
Quote:

I've been interested in the K501 for some time but many people describe it as being bass light with lots of detail in the mids and highs.

I was wondering whether the amp was pulling the highs down a little so that it gives the impression of more weight.

I think you'd be fighting a loosing battle if you wanted to squeeze weight out of a K501. That's simply not the phone's forte.
You shouldn't get a K501 for details IMO (although it might have the best detail for the buck at this point). Instead, you should get one for the timbre it gives to voices and some instruments, for the soundstage and, yes, for its airyness. For me at least, the K501's polite bass can also be an asset.

Yeah, this was waaay off-topic.

Quote:

I thought that you may have had another amp with headphones like this because they also take a lot to drive them.

That's not been my experience, but I'm clearly in the minority here. I also don't believe that dedicated headphones amps are necessarily better and/or more powerful than other devices.

Now, as to the HeadFive, the bass emphasis is all but gone and doesn't bother me anymore even with phones which can sometimes let the it bloom past the stage I'm comfortable with such as the DT880. I'm not sure why (psychological issue, listening volume, break-in, or perhaps even choice of crossfeed?).

Jun 21, 2006 at 2:00 PM Post #44 of 430
And now @ 20+ hours burn in the presentation on my HD-580s seems to be nicely balanced, going deep with control, a pleasently warm (yes, tube like) midrange with nice highs ever so slightly, seemingly, maybe, somewhat rolled off.... I'm loving it! As I detest any exadgerated shimmer of cymbals ... The cymbals are fully still there,
580smile.gif
as are the tambourines clackers jingling, just nicely toned down, like I like it!

Jun 21, 2006 at 2:55 PM Post #45 of 430
BTW, the crossfeed is a godsend with the 580s coming from Beyers or AKGs: switch it on, and that dreadful tri-blobbish presentation is gone, switch if off and it's back, on, off, on, off... who said the effect was subtle?
Flame away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back