MEIER AUDIO CORDA HEADFIVE: Impressions and reviews thread
Nov 18, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #406 of 430
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Plus, does it matter what rating the fuse inside the mains plug has? They seem to vary a lot from 2A to 20A... I'm planning to use a 10A one with the Headfive and a 13A with the 006tMk1 for no specific reasons...

"They seem to vary a lot from 2A to 20A..."

Do you mean amplifiers in general use this Wide range of fuses?

Of course, the correct answer is the fuse in any circuit was specifically chosen to be there by design. A replacement should be of the same value.

Now, I do read some DIYers and socalled tinkerers like to replace their fuses with something different even simply compleating the gap with a permanent connection for supposibly some sonic improvement. Is that what you are thinking of doing and asking about?

Sorry I just don't understand what the issue is and why a fuse is being changed..."For no specific reason'???

Nov 18, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #407 of 430
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"They seem to vary a lot from 2A to 20A..."

Do you mean amplifiers in general use this vide range of fuses?

Of course, the correct answer is the fuse in any circuit was specifically chosen to be there by design. A replacement should be of the same value.

Now, I do read some DIYers and socalled tinkerers like to replace their fuses with something different even simply compleating the gap with a permanent connection for supposibly some sonic improvement. Is that what you are thinking of doing and asking about?

Well, I have two power cords. One is a Russ Andrews one and the other is random one that came with my printer. Both have the standard IEC termination on one end and three-prong UK style at the other. The Russ Andrews one came with a 13A fuse inside the three-prong mains plug and the printer one came with a 10A fuse. I'm guessing the fuse value has to be higher than the amp PS input value?

Nov 18, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #408 of 430
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I have two power cords. One is a Russ Andrews one and the other is random one that came with my printer. Both have the standard IEC termination on one end and three-prong UK style at the other. The Russ Andrews one came with a 13A fuse inside the three-prong mains plug and the printer one came with a 10A fuse. I'm guessing the fuse value has to be higher than the amp PS input value?

Now I follow your thoughts...Sorry......

Yes that would seem to be correct, "the fuse value in your power strip or speciality cord head, has to be higher than the amp PS input value"...

Perhaps we have different supply set ups here, or at least common to my understanding and/or you may be using some sort of esoteric supply plug only the well initiated know of and use...

Sorry I interjected ;-}

Best regards~

P.S... Here, in the U.S. my computer supply cord or my printer cord have no fuse in them. This is where my confusion with your very good question arose! Suppose one of the many members from your side of the pond on these boards would have the factual experienced answer you seek.

Again, excuse me mate ;-}

Nov 19, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #409 of 430
The Corda Headfive is now sold-out. He still has some on reservations if you get lucky and their is a cancelation. I really look forward to the reviews posted by members just buying the amp to see how it mates with the lower end Grados sr-60 ect. If you bought one please head on over to the members of the trade thread for the headfive and give some congrats to the good Dr. for job so well done http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...171549&page=37

Jan 19, 2007 at 5:49 AM Post #410 of 430
Got these in the mail today. They were bought used from another head-fier, so I assumed that they were fully burnt in. I let them run on some radio for a couple of hours to warm them up, and than sat down for an extended listening session while editing some documents. In terms of equipment, I listened out of a Silverstone EB01 DAC and the line-out of a Rio Karma, into HD650, KSC35, and Shure E4's. I also compared the headfive to a millet hybrid and an 15 year old NAD receiver.

My first thought after plugging in was that the midrange was recessed. Yo-Yo Ma and Antonio Janigro both sounded slightly hollow, as if they were further away than normal. Treble seemed to be emphasized over the other frequences. I then put on some Johnny Cash and found his voice to be thinner than usual, as if he was singing the same songs but had aged 10 years. The pleasant harshness of his voice was magnified, but still pleasant. Finally I put on some bass heavy rap to test the bass frequencies, and found the bass to be very tight, although lesser in quantity than usual.

Deciding that the amp may still be suffering from the 30 degree (F) weather outside, I let it burn in with very loud pink noise for another couple hours while I ran some errands.

Coming back, the Headfive was clearly warm to the touch. I played some Shostakovich violin pieces and found them to be very enjoyable. There was a sense of air and grace around the notes. At this point I started experimenting with the crossfeed, which is the best implementation I've heard to date (much more natural than winamp plug-ins). It seems to make sounds float in front of your head instead of in your head, which is welcome sometimes and distracting in other situations.

Finally, I listened to an entire set of a Phish concert (LivePhish 11). The headfive really struggled here, as Gordon's bass seemed to had lost its weight and driving force. As a recording that really depends on a bass-driven groove, this concert wasn't much enjoyable through a headfive and the HD650. Also, anytime the audience cheered the sound was very grating.

To sum up, I feel like the headfive is a "cold" amplifier. It really shines when portraying "treble-based" instruments such as violins or trumpets. There is a nice sense of air around solo notes. But it struggles to convey weight and body. A good way to describe the headfive, in my opinion, is lean and mean. However, the build quality is simply outstanding, the thick steel plates make me think this amp could survive a 2 story drop.

I've sold the amplifier on the FS forums. Hope the next head-fier enjoys them.

Jan 19, 2007 at 1:01 PM Post #411 of 430
Well, that is surely the only time I have seel the H5 described as cold. Most of us, including me, feel it leans to the warm side. But to each his/her own.

Jan 19, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #412 of 430
Well, I've compared it to a slightly older NAD integrated and the H5 is indeed "colder" (assuming we all have the same meaning in mind).
But yeah, the H5 is "warmer" than what I'd call "neutral". For some reason, it sounded a lot more coloured to me when I first got it. Now I'd say the "warmth" is rather subtle... unlike the NAD's which was really overdone for my taste with some headphones. That, and a frequency sweep showed me the H5 produced less FR peaks and valleys (due to lower output impedance?) so I have to say the H5 is simply the better amp.
I realise dizzyorange's reference is probably the Millet rather than the NAD but I don't have any tube or hybrid design so I can't comment on that.

Jan 26, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #413 of 430
Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzyorange /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've sold the amplifier on the FS forums. Hope the next head-fier enjoys them.

The next head-fier here. For some reason I can't post under dizzyorange's feedback forum, so I'll just say that was a wonderfully smooth transaction. Quick to reply, and was nice enough to let me know that there would be a very well justifiable delay.

In any case, I don't know what he's talking about in his review of the amp. Haha. Well, okay, so I admittedly don't have much of a frame of reference, but this baby sounds much warmer than my Tomahawk or PA2V2.

Initially I was underwhelmed, as I was using an iPod as source. But I've just hooked it up to my new (refurb) Sony SCD-CE595, and it sounds 10,000 times better.

Very nice non-fatiguing sound. The crossfeed does wonders for the listening experience (absent from the TH and PA2V2), and I haven't taken my headphones off once since I powered up the Sony and the Headfive with my Senn 595's.

600smile.gif

Jan 26, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #414 of 430
You're right about the source being important.

I started out with a 40Gb 4G iPod, using 128k AAC encoding. (I had captured my CD collection at 128AAC well before joining Head-fi) The H5 did a good job of cleaning up the sound -- clearly better than my Total Bithead, and I was happy with it -- but I was thinking about upgrading.

Just recently, I acquired a 60Gb iMod, and coincidentally, I have been capturing lossless (ALAC). Now I'm *very* happy -- that'll stave off upgraditis for a while.

Michael

Jan 28, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #416 of 430
I am very interested in this amplifier (especially to pair with my HD595's) but have a question about interconnects. There are a few posts above making it seem like silver interconnects were too bright with the Headfive.
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused.gif
Well, I just tried swapping interconnects to see if it was those, but it made it even worse, silver with this amp and my headphones equals death.

Do most agree with this statement, and therefore I would assume that copper cables might work better? Also, there was one or two links to power cords here as well (Here is one: http://www.2baudio.com/) Not to start a debate on power cords, but anyone find a good cord for ~$15-$20?

Feb 21, 2007 at 7:55 AM Post #418 of 430
i bought this amp used off of another user and i must say... im having a blast writing this and listening to the amp. i was looking for reviews to see if anyone described how i felt about this amp and its all here. the ms1 headfive combo is just so much fun

also i like the clarity. ive never had a headphone amp before but its a nice crispy sound with some more body and alittle help in the lower spectrum

i also want to say the headfive gave the hd590 the kick in the butt that it was needing for a long time.

Dec 31, 2007 at 11:07 AM Post #419 of 430
To the people that say it is more to the cold side... I agree. It has a more recessed midrange compared to the ipods headphone jack for example

Dec 31, 2007 at 11:08 AM Post #420 of 430
To the people that say it is more to the cold side... I agree. It has a more recessed midrange compared to the ipods headphone jack for example. Anyone with a comparison with the gilmore based amps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back