Meier Audio Corda Head-Five Picture Thread
Jul 1, 2006 at 2:34 AM Post #16 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by db597
I've been thinking about the W5000 too. Wonder if the H5 will be "good enough" to power them... or is the W5000 overkill for the amp?

Might be overkill (anxiously watching all the H5 threads for reports!), but there just isn't really a closed can out there for me to get excited about...Sounds like AT A900's would be out of their element here, and I just can't get that excited about the AKG 271's. I am much more interested in getting 1 nice set of closed phones to augment my IEMs, instead of $300 IEMs, plus $200 closed cans plus nicer $300 open-cans that can't be used as often. Considering all the other toys in the house I've got multiples of (computers, fish tanks, bicycles, you name it), I'm suprised I'm shying away from the right-tool-for-the-right-job mantra of head-fi.

So forgive me head-fi'ers, for I have sinned...I want to make due with only 2 amps and 2 cans...
etysmile.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm facing a major bigscreen / surround sound pre-amp upgrade in the next year or two, so I'm planning on keeping the H5 as my only home-amp and maybe picking up a Xin or Hornet or something for patio-use.

Jul 1, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #17 of 43
Ooooh, pretty. I love the Crossfeed icons that Jan uses.

Jul 2, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #21 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel
Nice stuff! How do you like the HeadFive with your HF-1's? Is there synergy?

Well, I believe this is just because of the components in my system, and the silver interconnects I have set-up, but I've found that my HF-1s are extremely sybillant with my Head-Five, something that has never happened with my HF-1s before. I'm looking into some higher end copper interconnects though, so I'll post my impressions when they arrive (Once I figure out which ones I want
biggrin.gif
).

BTW great pictures everyone. Looks like all the Head-Fives so far have gone to good homes.

Jul 3, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #22 of 43
Just received the #197 here in Paris

I fell in the headfi world a few months ago, reading many of your threads (silently because of a bit of shyness) when i decided to order a DT880

It sounded quite good with my compact Denon system, and I was a bit reluctant to buying an amp but when the good Dr. Meier made the Headfive at such a reasonable price, I couldn't resist !

I'm very happy with it, sounds really better, the bass is better defined, the trebble less aggressive, just listened to David Bowie's Alladdin Sane, god that's close to paradise !

Enough for the bla bla, here's the pic :

attachment.php

Jul 3, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #23 of 43
Nice looking rig Philou!

Jul 4, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #25 of 43
WoW ! that is a nice looking set-up philou. The H5 and denon seem they were made for each other.

Jul 4, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #27 of 43
Justhavingfun....very nice setup...must have taken forever to collect all those matchbooks
580smile.gif

Anyway, here is #127 settled into it place on my rack.
Had to put a little sticky over the LED...my only complaint with the unit.

p1000042sm1lo.jpg

Sounds really nice with the Cary 306/HD650 combination...definitely a bargain at the price that Jan sold it at.
For the first time in quite a while I am listening to my headphones more than my speakers.

Jul 4, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #28 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by utarch00
Philou

What is that with the D-F101? How do you like the Denon setup?

I like it very much

It does certainly not compete with high end material, but for me, not having much experience in the audiophile world, it's very good quality

I got it with the stock Denon speakers, they're not bad but can't really comment on their quality, I use the DT880 to reach very good sound, so I only use the speakers to listen to radio or for ambient music when with friends

The amp is rated 2x35W (speakers rated 60W), wich seems not much, but I used them at a party : max volume all night long with all kind of dance music, it handled it surprinsingly well, sound volume and quality was more than adequate for that kind of event

The CDP has an optical out so I guess I can upgrade with an external high quality DAC if I feel like spending more money one of these days !!!

One big advantage is that it's only 25cm deep so with the spaghetti on the rear it fits on my 30cm deep bookshelf. It was the only quality compact system widely available I could find that did so !

And it fits very well with the H5, would also be very nice with an Aria, could be another upgrade and wallet killer...

Jul 4, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #29 of 43
Although my wife is very understanding about my hobby but sometimes she insists on displaying her "collectibles" like matchboxes.
smily_headphones1.gif
You ought to see my home theater display with her collection of "nutcrackers" right on top of cabinet. BTW, James3Toe, you have an extremely nice audio setup.

Jul 4, 2006 at 6:12 AM Post #30 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by db597
I've been thinking about the W5000 too. Wonder if the H5 will be "good enough" to power them... or is the W5000 overkill for the amp?

I'm sure the H5 would be "good enough" (though I've not heard one, going based off Jan's other amps), because the W5000 is not terribly demanding of amplification. It it very hard to make the W5k sound under-amped, though it does improve with better amps.

Likewise, I wouldn't say the W5k is overkill, assuming one has the cash, and wants closed cans significantly better than the A900/W1000/K271S/Etc. crowd. I would make sure to have a good source though, or you might find the W5k too revealing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back