Meier-Audio CORDA Aria
Nov 29, 2005 at 1:15 AM Post #166 of 235
I'm so excited about this amp. I added a pair of DT880:s to my order as Jan is selling them for a killer price right now. Jan is a very nice guy and he's answered all of my anxious mails very nicely
smily_headphones1.gif

You privileged people who have actually heard the prototype: Does it do well with the DT880?

As for when they will ship Jan told me they probably wouldn't ship this week. That might just have been something he told 'cause I was sort of saying it myself
biggrin.gif

Nov 29, 2005 at 3:00 PM Post #167 of 235
Well I just took the plunge. For those of us completely over in computer audioland a reasonably priced DAC/amp combo is very hard pass up. If I can even approach my current sound while simplifying the setup and saving some cash to boot, I'm all for it.

Earlier in this thread the possible K701/Aria synergy was discussed. Since the phones are now out anyone have a chance to listen with a Aria prototype? Unfortunately the Aria won't arrive before my K701 30 day return expires so I was looking for others opinions and I debate the AKGs fate.

Dec 1, 2005 at 12:08 PM Post #169 of 235
I'am strongly considering the Aria for my home setup... Meier's price on the DT880 is very nice especially since VAT & duty is already covered. But I cannot help but wonder whether the DT990 would suite the Aria better?

From Saint Panda's comment's regarding Aria's bass, I would think:

tight bass, detail, speed from aria + impact, warmth, fullness from DT990 = sweet music

I already have HD650s and MS2i and I guess I'am looking for a third set of 'fun' cans. I am following the impressions of the K701, but I will hold out for now, as the opinions and impressions are not conclusive yet.

I mainly listen to electronic music such as Massive Attack, Lamb, Renaissance compilations etc.

Oh yeah, almost forgot about the built in DAC
icon10.gif

Dec 1, 2005 at 1:58 PM Post #170 of 235
I think the DT990 would be a better choice for you Practitioner. The DT880 sound good from about 100hz up, but unlike the DT770 and 990, the DT880 has very reserved bass. Much less bass than most other headphones I own. I am going to sell my 880's probably. I wanted to try them, but I will always listen to my Headphile modded DT770 for closed 'phones and my Headphile modded HF-1's for open, because they are, as you put it, FUN!
orphsmile.gif
The DT880's really aren't fun IMO.

Dec 1, 2005 at 2:09 PM Post #171 of 235
Well, I already have the DT531, which I believe to be somewhat similar to the DT990. Fun might be nice, but it can also be distracting if you do a lot of background listening while doing other things. I might consider upgrading my closed alternatives (currently A500/XD400) to the DT770 if it synnergizes well with the Aria
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2005 at 3:12 PM Post #172 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andresin
Fun might be nice, but it can also be distracting if you do a lot of background listening while doing other things.

That's exactly how I would describe what the MS2i do for me. They are very fun but draw you in so much that you can't really concentrate on anything else whilst listeninig. That's where my HD650s come in, for the marathon listening sessions while I'am working or doing something else. They complement each other very nicely and I probably wouldn't be ok with just having one. But reading headfi posts on a daily basis tends to make you long for even more sets!

Synergy with the Aria is what I'am hoping for with the DT990s and my current cans. The HD650 should mate well with this amp, just not so sure with the MS2i.

Dec 3, 2005 at 5:43 AM Post #173 of 235
So do people think that the Aria is a great bang for buck option as an amp only?
I have just invested in a Red Wine modded iPod, which I will use with my supermini-3. I was thinking that my next step in a few months time would be to get a decent home amp to run my DT-880s through.

Dec 3, 2005 at 12:23 PM Post #174 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by redrich2000
So do people think that the Aria is a great bang for buck option as an amp only?
I have just invested in a Red Wine modded iPod, which I will use with my supermini-3. I was thinking that my next step in a few months time would be to get a decent home amp to run my DT-880s through.

I haven't got it yet, but the Aria is primarily an amp. So it certainly appears to be a great bang fo the buck amp. Don't know if it will be available in a couple of months though
frown.gif

Dec 3, 2005 at 12:25 PM Post #175 of 235
I have gotten an email from Jan yesterday, stating that he has not gotten the Aria's yet. He expects them to arrive early next week IIRC.

Dec 4, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #176 of 235
The Aria will be my first headamp. I was leaning toward Gilmore Lite, but reviews of Aria prototype and inclusion of crossfeed filter enticed me to go Aria.

I want isolation, so I plan to order Ety ER4 S/P as my first set of phones* (I tried the ER6s, but sent them back...).

I am an old-time audiophile, so my reference will be near-field listening to a well designed home system (which includes a Wadia 830 - a nice sounding CDP). I'm anxious to see how close the amp / IEMs come to my home speaker system.

* 30 years ago I owned Koss Pro 4aas and Beyer DT-440s (I'm not 100% sure of the Beyer model number???). Drove them from standard headphone jacks, so I anticipate the new rig to greatly outperform these.

Dec 8, 2005 at 3:22 AM Post #178 of 235
I'm down as well. I just couldn't resist. Just hit the paypal send button... Hope I can receive them by the end of the month.

And I ordered a pair of DT880 as well. I used to believe firmly that I would be satisfied with one headphone amp and one pair of headphones...

Dec 8, 2005 at 5:31 AM Post #180 of 235
Just out of curiosity, who's looking at the DAC as simply a nice extra to a great amp, and who's considering the Aria a true combo which will satisfy or not based on both halves?

The former is somewhat implied in the description, but I fit in the latter as I wouldn't have even considered it without the DAC.

Fingers crossed and waiting.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back