Meier-Audio CORDA Aria
Nov 16, 2005 at 10:43 PM Post #151 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by r3b
I thought that the DAC in the Aria is the same as in the Porta Corda USB ? Correct me if i am wrong !

Some people in here have the Porta Corda USB so there is some experience how good the DAC really is compared to the competition. Of course the better Aria-Amp itself will give the DAC a boost in quality compared to the Porta Corda USB.

Exactly; it'd be nice to learn more this way...

Nov 17, 2005 at 12:22 AM Post #152 of 235
The DAC in the Aria has a better power supply and apparently more clever implementation, so the Porta Corda MKIII is most likely not very representative. This is only an educted guess of course.

Nov 17, 2005 at 10:32 AM Post #153 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
The DAC in the Aria has a better power supply and apparently more clever implementation, so the Porta Corda MKIII is most likely not very representative. This is only an educted guess of course.

Yes, a boost will be given to the DAC by the Aria-Amp but the interesting thing is how big the improvement in quality will be
icon10.gif

Nov 17, 2005 at 3:12 PM Post #154 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda

I'm doubtful. the only improvement that could be done to a schematic implementing so simple a DAC, besides parts quality (which I'm sure isn't the case since the Porta Corda III looks like it has nothing to envy here to its bigger siblings), is to power its different internal sections with more than one +5V supply rail (when/if the DAC chip allows). This is one refinement that only truly audiophile DACs deserve and I don't think it's the case with the BB PCM2704 concerned here. So my own educated guess is that the DAC section would be directly comparable between the Aria and PortaCorda. In a bit outward/brutal fashion, this is my thinking.

Nov 17, 2005 at 10:25 PM Post #156 of 235
Dear Headfellows,

"the only improvement that could be done to a schematic implementing so simple a DAC, besides parts quality (which I'm sure isn't the case since the Porta Corda III looks like it has nothing to envy here to its bigger siblings), is to power its different internal sections with more than one +5V supply rail"

No, that would blow-up the DAC!

However, with the PORTA CORDA the (dirty) 5V powersupply of the USB-port is used. Internal regulators of the PCM2704 convert this voltage into different 3.3V supplies needed by this chip.

With the ARIA these voltage regulators are bypassed and the chip is fed by a much better externally regulated 3.3V voltage.

Moreover, the output stages of the DAC-chip are class-A biased with a higher bias current.

Last but not least the ARIA has better coupling capacitors between DAC-chip and the analogue signal circuitry.

The ARIA simply sounds better at USB. Honestly!

Cheers

Jan

Nov 17, 2005 at 10:43 PM Post #157 of 235
That's great news. Now the question is -- when will we get them?
rs1smile.gif

Nov 18, 2005 at 8:28 AM Post #158 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan Meier
Dear Headfellows,

"the only improvement that could be done to a schematic implementing so simple a DAC, besides parts quality (which I'm sure isn't the case since the Porta Corda III looks like it has nothing to envy here to its bigger siblings), is to power its different internal sections with more than one +5V supply rail"

No, that would blow-up the DAC!

However, with the PORTA CORDA the (dirty) 5V powersupply of the USB-port is used. Internal regulators of the PCM2704 convert this voltage into different 3.3V supplies needed by this chip.

With the ARIA these voltage regulators are bypassed and the chip is fed by a much better externally regulated 3.3V voltage.

Moreover, the output stages of the DAC-chip are class-A biased with a higher bias current.

Last but not least the ARIA has better coupling capacitors between DAC-chip and the analogue signal circuitry.

The ARIA simply sounds better at USB. Honestly!

Cheers

Jan

Great explanation and doubtfulness gone.
smily_headphones1.gif

(I didn't read the datasheet attentively about power supply, assuming that it would be like other DACs that I know)

Nov 28, 2005 at 6:27 AM Post #159 of 235
Hi all,

I've got my Porta Corda II currently coming out of the headphone out of my PowerMac G5, as I don't own a DAC. The Aria is nice for the USB DAC (the G5 has digital optical out, but my Powerbook doesn't), but for those of you who've heard it, will the external DAC and better amp of the Aria make a huge difference for me, who is happy listening at work to my AAC-192 recordings? (I'm in the process of ripping my collection to Apple Lossless on an external drive at home, but I'm much rather listen to speakers there). Thanks for any advice! (If it's not a huge sound quality difference, I'll probably put the money towards CDs...)

Nov 28, 2005 at 6:55 PM Post #160 of 235
Jan, can you give a statement when the ordered Arira's will be shipped to the customers ? On your site is stated "by the end of November" but i havent received my Aria jet ! I dont want to hurry you but when do you think you will send the new Arias to the first customers ?

Nov 28, 2005 at 7:03 PM Post #161 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan Meier
Dear Headfellows,

I'm told that the amplifiers will be shipped to my place this week. If all goes well I should be able to start shipping by the beginning or middle of next week. No promises though.

For special wishes on shipping please contact me by mail.

Cheers

Jan

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2005 at 9:04 PM Post #163 of 235
I am so tempted by this. Jan has been so kind in responding to emails and all the explanations seem to explain all worries away. Really having a heated debate with myself. This or the EC-01....or maybe....sheese. This is a sickness.

Nov 28, 2005 at 9:16 PM Post #164 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
i kinda want to buy one, would make a great computer amp, i bet. if it's better than the HA-1 MkII, then it has to be really nice.

It's even better than the HA-2 (both MKI and MKI upgraded to MKII) in my eyes.
wink.gif

I've just borrowed JaZZ's HA-2 MKII (again
tongue.gif
) and albeit a very good amp (I had the MKI version myself), I just don't like it as much as the Aria prototype. When I went to borrow the HA-2, I also compared the Aria to the EMP again, this time with very good Sovtek tubes, and I still prefer the Aria even though the tube goodness was undeniable with the EMP. However, the Aria had a better soundstage (more holographic and bigger), more precise imaging and a more detailed and better textured bass. Midrange was a tie depending on the song and mood with the Aria being cleaner and the EMP being more bloomy. Overall bass impact was better on the EMP but also a bit muddy in comparison. However, I think the price difference and convenience of SS amps and the integrated USB dac creates significant disparity in value.

Nov 28, 2005 at 9:33 PM Post #165 of 235
Guess the sticking point for me at the moment is the fit and finish. When I look at some of the pics and zoom in on them, there are areas that do bother me a bit. Guess the production amps will be put together much better? Having said that, if the amp sounds as good as reported PLUS a serviceable DAC via USB, I can live with a few imperfections!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back