Meet the Sennheiser HD 820
Jan 10, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #259 of 498
'very light on bass' - I hope this isn't the case.

Was hoping this would be HD800 meets something with a linear bass extension, or even a slight bass hump. That might depart too much from the reference sound of the HD800.

Perhaps Sennheiser figures for the bass inclined,their offering is the 630VB - which I'm fine with.

I would take other people's pronouncements on what is light and what is heavy on bass with a pinch of salt, unless you know what their idea of normal is. Unfortunately the poster said they have never heard the HD800 so we have no idea what this means in comparison to them.

In my experience, I have given friends headphones I considered to be very bass-heavy to listen to, and they have commented that they prefer more bass. It's actually pretty common as most high street speakers and headphones have overdone low frequencies that they come to see as normal.

The write-up could mean that they are bass-light. Could mean that they are linear. Could even mean that they have a bass hump (although this would not be a very Sennheiser thing to do). Still waiting and seeing.

Jan 10, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #260 of 498
I’m seriously going to be shocked if these sound like anything other than an hd800s. Just don’t see it. Easiest headphone in the world to tame bass on due to lack of quantity would be the hd800. Not that I could I’m just saying that if every company was forced to turn their top tier headphone into a closeback without making it less bassy to reduce resonances, Sennheiser would have the easiest job.

But you understand that the HD800 struggles with bass extension precisely because it is so open?

Jan 10, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #261 of 498
Still I can't stop thinking if that chamber fills with dust (remember mobile phones from the past with pocket dust between glass and screen), 'cause it can't be airtight and with moving parts inside I'm almost sure it will produce some if not just let it in from the outside?

Jan 10, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #262 of 498
Thanks for shearing. 15 and 42sec gives good insight into construction. Back wave reflected from glass it is going to front acoustic chamber through holes around drivers to create artificial space. Not suitable for monitoring at all. Audiophile? Well, who knows.

To clarify, they don’t say it goes into the front chamber, or ear cup. They say it goes into ‘acoustic chambers’, which is what the marketing materials also say. Reflecting them back into the earcup is not revolutionary, most closed back cans vent the back chamber into the ear cup and this is a cause of distortion. I assume, or hope at least, that the acoustic chambers are a separate damping apparatus. Will have to wait and see.

Jan 10, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #263 of 498
I do understand that some might get a negative physical response to the ad so here´s something to cleanse the palate :slight_smile:

624386c46868c44f581099965bb317e3--stereo-headphones-vintage-prints.jpg

Way better :wink:

Bobby Hackett was Glenn Miller band's trumpeter, not a futile semi-hipster model guy full of tarantula gestures. :p

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #264 of 498
this is a cause of distortion.

Key words. And glass for closed back headphones, which are to be supposed to block outside noise, glass to reflect back wave ..... no comments.

Any official measurements of 820 from Sennheiser available at show?

Free idea for Sennheiser - Imperor edition with Swarowski monocristal instead of Guerilla glass. 7K EUR. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 10, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #265 of 498
I think that the concave glass is for the better, loving the idea

As for dust getting caught in between the glass and the acoustic chamber, I wouldn't really worry about it, there should be some filtering done, they are purely closed back, so there shouldn't be a large enough mass of air to move within that chamber to allow for a dust getting trapped.

My understanding is that there are papers and other types of filters within that space, so there shouldn't be an issue with foreign objects entering that space.

Jan 10, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #266 of 498
Still I can't stop thinking if that chamber fills with dust (remember mobile phones from the past with pocket dust between glass and screen), 'cause it can't be airtight and with moving parts inside I'm almost sure it will produce some if not just let it in from the outside?
Please just think of it as isolated from the environment, so that no dust can get in there. Axel Grell can think of such things.

Jan 10, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #267 of 498
Jan 10, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #270 of 498
Please just think of it as isolated from the environment, so that no dust can get in there. Axel Grell can think of such things.
But pls just think of it as an donut driver :D
There's a hole at center

Users who are viewing this thread

Back