Meet the Sennheiser HD 660 S
Dec 15, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #211 of 396
Hi,
I don't write so much usually, but I felt I had to say something about the HD660s. I've had them now for 2 days. Prior to that, my all-rounder set was the HD650, which I love. I got them on sale in Norway too, and I was really in doubt whether I should shell out more money for a pair of cans which might only be marginally "better". But damn... I'm glad I did. These are FANTASTIC! I feel no difference in terms of comfort and fit between these and the HD650. I used to have a separate amp for the HD650, as I felt my Dragonfly Red was a bit lacking. But with the HD660S, the Dragonfly is more than adequate to drive these satisfactorily!! The sound is significantly clearer, bass packs more punch, everything just sounds much more exciting! And they still sound super-balanced and non-fatiguing. So far, I really, really dig these, and I have no regrets. Already packed my HD650 back into the box. Highly recommended, even if you already own a pair of 650s!

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #212 of 396
Hi,
I don't write so much usually, but I felt I had to say something about the HD660s. I've had them now for 2 days. Prior to that, my all-rounder set was the HD650, which I love. I got them on sale in Norway too, and I was really in doubt whether I should shell out more money for a pair of cans which might only be marginally "better". But damn... I'm glad I did. These are FANTASTIC! I feel no difference in terms of comfort and fit between these and the HD650. I used to have a separate amp for the HD650, as I felt my Dragonfly Red was a bit lacking. But with the HD660S, the Dragonfly is more than adequate to drive these satisfactorily!! The sound is significantly clearer, bass packs more punch, everything just sounds much more exciting! And they still sound super-balanced and non-fatiguing. So far, I really, really dig these, and I have no regrets. Already packed my HD650 back into the box. Highly recommended, even if you already own a pair of 650s!
Okay, the bass and the high is better, but what about the midrange that everyone loves? It's better, it's worse, it's the same, how would you compare to the HD 650 ?

Dec 15, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #214 of 396
For God's sake decide whether the HD 660 S is better or is different, the two do not, plus @DavidA does not agree with you on this issue, he thinks the HD 650 has a better midrange. :o2smile:

I think the HD 660S is better, never stated I didn’t, just said others don’t think it’s better. Which is why you need to listen yourself to determine yourself if you find it better or not. Audio is way too subjective for everyone to agree on something being better or not. You will get numerous different answers from different people. What I said isn’t about the midrange, I didn’t even mention the midrange, what I’m talking about is how defined and fleshed out the sound is, this is more related to dynamics and imaging ability than frequency response. Midrange on the headphone is very present, not recessed in any way or form.

Dec 15, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #215 of 396
I think the HD 660S is better, never stated I didn’t, just said others don’t think it’s better. Which is why you need to listen yourself to determine yourself if you find it better or not. Audio is way too subjective for everyone to agree on something being better or not. You will get numerous different answers from different people. What I said isn’t about the midrange, I didn’t even mention the midrange, what I’m talking about is how defined and fleshed out the sound is, this is more related to dynamics and imaging ability than frequency response. Midrange on the headphone is very present, not recessed in any way or form.
I know that audio is a subjective thing, but there is also a little thing called common sense, because the exception will never make the rule, if the bass is tighter, the midrange and treble are clearer and more detailed so obviously it is better than the HD 650 may not be a difference between day and night but it is clearly better.

Dec 15, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #216 of 396
I know that audio is a subjective thing, but there is also a little thing called common sense, because the exception will never make the rule, if the bass is tighter, the midrange and treble are clearer and more detailed so obviously it is better than the HD 650 may not be a difference between day and night but it is clearly better.
You should also notice that @Keiso, @pietcux & @kman1211 are using SS amps while I did most of my comparisons with tube gear and FWIW I liked the HD660S better on a SS amp. If you have a decent/good OTL or hybrid amp I think it has better synergy with the HD650/600/6XX while the HD660S seems to have better synergy with SS amps which I think is due to the difference in impedance of these headphones.

Dec 15, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #217 of 396
You should also notice that @Keiso, @pietcux & @kman1211 are using SS amps while I did most of my comparisons with tube gear and FWIW I liked the HD660S better on a SS amp. If you have a decent/good OTL or hybrid amp I think it has better synergy with the HD650/600/6XX while the HD660S seems to have better synergy with SS amps which I think is due to the difference in impedance of these headphones.
It may be, but it explains me one thing, if 90% of the sound quality on the headphones, then why some people spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on amplifiers, what a Schiit Ragnarok does that the Magni 3 does not do but provide more energy , clarity and detail ?

Dec 15, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #218 of 396
It may be, but it explains me one thing, if 90% of the sound quality on the headphones, then why some people spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on amplifiers, what a Schiit Ragnarok does that the Magni 3 does not do but provide more energy , clarity and detail ?

Why do some spend XXXX on amps? This is what I think: 1. Because they can afford to, 2. To that person it sounds better with their headphones.

Agree that the headphone is most important part but you can't say its 90% for all headphones since some headphones are designed with specific amps in mind, such as the HD600/650 were designed with higher impedance amps in mind.

What does a Rag do that a Magni3 doesn't do besides provide more energy, clarity and details? 1. A different amp design which can/will affect how it pairs with a headphone, 2. Probably higher quality / closer tolerance parts, 3. Ability to drive speakers, 4. A fully balanced topology

Dec 16, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #220 of 396
Strange how Sennheiser would keep the (allegedly) more alike 600/660S and drop(pun intended) the 650. It would make more sense to either keep all 3 or just have the HD650 / HD660S.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #223 of 396
Yeah, I trust this guy's ears more than anyone else's ears here on this forum, so I'll never buy the HD 660 S.
We more than once told you, trust your own ears. That would require a purchase or two though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back