MEElectronics M6 Review
Oct 24, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #361 of 563
No problem.
wink.gif

I just asked because volume preferences often account for preferences in sound signatures, and of course EQ settings. Basically, the quieter you listen the more a V shaped sound signature sounds most natural (as you lose sensitivity to the frequency extremes at low volume). Conversely, people who listen at louder volumes prefer something that's more flat - which it sort of seems you're doing. For reference, I typically listen in the (-30) - (-45) range, depending upon location.

Oct 28, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #362 of 563
Just grabbed my M6s out of the mailbox. I'm impressed right out of the box, especially considering I paid about $20 for them. Lots of bass which I like, though it is a bit sloppy compared to my MPTGs (but at around 1/10th of the price who cares).

Got these to workout with and I think I am going to be very happy with them.

Oct 28, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #363 of 563

Quote:
Just grabbed my M6s out of the mailbox. I'm impressed right out of the box, especially considering I paid about $20 for them. Lots of bass which I like, though it is a bit sloppy compared to my MPTGs (but at around 1/10th of the price who cares).

Got these to workout with and I think I am going to be very happy with them.

They'll tighten up a little, but they'll never be as tight as the Monsters.  All in all they are great for a knock around, on the go, brain pounder.  They move a lot of air and are quite a fun listen.

Oct 29, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #366 of 563
Thanks for the input.

It was my first attempt to EQ the M6, it was done from about two hours of altering and an hour of listening.

I think I made it more forward to listen to the details altered by EQ, I'll probably spend more time finetuning them when I get the chance.

Oct 30, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #367 of 563
Quote:
  Gain (dB) Cutoff (Hz) Q Reason
Low Shelf Filter -2.0 50 1.4 Reduce boominess
Peak Filter 1 3.0 3000 1.0 Add clarity to voice
Peak Filter 2 -2.0 7100 2.8 Reduce sibilance
Peak Filter 3 2.0 10000 1.0 Brighten vocals
High Shelf Filter N/A N/A N/A  
Settings for Rockbox Clip+
(used Precut of -1.0 db, not sure if necessary)

My new EQ settings, I haven't changed that much just fine tuned it a little bit. Biggest change comes from utilizing the HS Filter to allow for another peak filter. I usually listen to volume at -20 and above so this resulted in a flatter frequency as pointed out by JxK

Gain (dB)    Cutoff (Hz) Q Reason
Low Shelf Filter -2.0 50 2.1   Reduce boominess (while retaining bass presence)
Peak Filter 1 2.0 3000 1.0 Add clarity to voice (3.0db was too fatiguing at higher volume)
Peak Filter 2 -3.0 7200 2.8 Reduce sibilance
Peak Filter 3 -3.0 5500 2.8 Reduce "cymbal noise" (too fatiguing)
High Shelf Filter 2.0 10000 1.0 Brighten vocals
Settings for Rockbox Clip+ V2 (changes in bold)
(No precut used because I'm doing very little boosting of volume)

Any feedback or questions are greatly appreciated!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #368 of 563
I am finally done modding the M6. Now they are listenable. I replaced the tri-flanges with large shure orange foamies for the Shure E2 earphone. These fit perfectly. With these ear tips, the bloated bass is gone, but the highs become sibilant. I custom made filters from foamies that usually come with cheap earbuds. These filters tame the highs and push the mids forward. Finally, I paired the M6 with my FiiO E5 amp. I noticed that the M6 is a hard to drive headphone. Part of the reason why it sounded so bad out of the box was that I plugged it directly to the headphone out of my sansa fuze. The FiiO amp improves the lows, tames the highs and pushes the mids slightly forward. But I had to do all this work for a $20 headphone.Not worth it! 

Oct 30, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #369 of 563

Quote:
I am finally done modding the M6. Now they are listenable. I replaced the tri-flanges with large shure orange foamies for the Shure E2 earphone. These fit perfectly. With these ear tips, the bloated bass is gone, but the highs become sibilant. I custom made filters from foamies that usually come with cheap earbuds. These filters tame the highs and push the mids forward. Finally, I paired the M6 with my FiiO E5 amp. I noticed that the M6 is a hard to drive headphone. Part of the reason why it sounded so bad out of the box was that I plugged it directly to the headphone out of my sansa fuze. The FiiO amp improves the lows, tames the highs and pushes the mids slightly forward. But I had to do all this work for a $20 headphone.Not worth it! 

Rockbox your fuze, and you can do the exact same thing with an equalizer. Much easier, and certainly more portable.

Oct 30, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #370 of 563
I tried to eq this thing with rockbox....first on my own and then trying the settings provided by others and the sound was garbage in every case. Plus the EQ should be used sparingly. It is foolish to think that the EQ can fix everything. In fact the EQ is making the audio worse
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Rockbox your fuze, and you can do the exact same thing with an equalizer. Much easier, and certainly more portable.

Oct 30, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #371 of 563

Quote:
I am finally done modding the M6. Now they are listenable. I replaced the tri-flanges with large shure orange foamies for the Shure E2 earphone. These fit perfectly.

Awesome, now I know they'll fit! I ordered a pair earlier, I guess it'll be here on monday or tuesday or something. They're cheap too $2.49 + $1.50 for international shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shure-E2-Ear-Foam-Inserts-Small-Med-Large-per-Pair-/400168626513?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item5d2be8a951
http://cgi.ebay.com/Shure-Foam-Inserts-E2c-i2c-QuietSpot-New-Pair-/360315002189?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item53e4729d4d

Oct 30, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #373 of 563

Quote:
I tried to eq this thing with rockbox....first on my own and then trying the settings provided by others and the sound was garbage in every case. Plus the EQ should be used sparingly. It is foolish to think that the EQ can fix everything. In fact the EQ is making the audio worse
rolleyes.gif

Then you likely didn't EQ properly. I'll admit that there's a bit of a learning curve, and it takes some practice, but the results are worth the effort. Too many people bash EQ simply because they lack the skill (or the patience) to become proficient with one. Or perhaps they're used to poor quality equalizers, of which rockbox is not.

Oct 30, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #374 of 563
Whatever man. I have spent enough hours experimenting with the EQ on rockbox and the M6 to be put down by you. Really, I have been using rockbox since it came out. Probably even before you found out rockbox existed, I work with outboard parametric EQ's. The real stuff. Learning curve...Plus I want a set of headphones that I can use with my laptop, cd player, and other non-rockbox players.

Quote:
Then you likely didn't EQ properly. I'll admit that there's a bit of a learning curve, and it takes some practice, but the results are worth the effort. Too many people bash EQ simply because they lack the skill (or the patience) to become proficient with one. Or perhaps they're used to poor quality equalizers, of which rockbox is not.

Oct 30, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #375 of 563
Let me know when you get the foamies. I'll try to help you. I hope these work out for you like they've worked out for me. Still, after all these mods, the sound of the M6 isn't 100%.

Quote:
Awesome, now I know they'll fit! I ordered a pair earlier, I guess it'll be here on monday or tuesday or something. They're cheap too $2.49 + $1.50 for international shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shure-E2-Ear-Foam-Inserts-Small-Med-Large-per-Pair-/400168626513?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item5d2be8a951
http://cgi.ebay.com/Shure-Foam-Inserts-E2c-i2c-QuietSpot-New-Pair-/360315002189?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item53e4729d4d

Users who are viewing this thread

Back