MEElectronics M6 Review
Mar 15, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #137 of 563
I got in touch with newegg.com. The customer service representative informed me that as of now, they do not have the new M6 with the hard case. They say they don't know when it'll be available.

Also, it seems that MEElectronic's free shipping promotion has expired.

Mar 16, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #138 of 563
Hello folks - long time lurker, first time poster (at least on this forum).

Had the M6's land in my mailbox this morning, and have spent most of the day playing around with them on and off. Thought I would share my initial impressions as a former pro audio sound man. These are the first IEM's I've bought - everything up until now has been full sized closed back models, mostly from Koss, right up to the R/80's that are now retired due to driver issues. These are intended to replace those phones and sound better doing it.

Having given y'all some background, on to the M6's. I got mine right from MeElectronics, so I have the hard case (which I am very glad to have gotten. My listening sources for my initial impressions included the computer I'm typing this on, which does an ok job, a Sony D-NE510 CD/MP3 player, and an ancient Panasonic SL-NP500. That last one is a battery vampire, but it has among the best headphone amps of anything I've owned. Used it to make sure I was really hearing the full potential of these. Music ranged from pipe organ to electronic to 80's music... mostly the stuff I used to use to EQ with back in my pro audio days but also newer stuff I was really familiar with. Some pink noise and sine waves as well.

First, the memory wire - don't mind it, actually. I thought I would. Maybe it's due to the fact that I'm six and a half feet tall with big ears, I don't know, but it's not really uncomfortable at all.

Second, the tips. Nothing but the large ones work for me. The rest of them are way too small to get a good seal. No complaints about the large ones really... they're taking a bit of getting used to, but not bad. I like the level of isolation on these... not too much, not too little for my tastes.

So, how do they sound? Well... I have a problem here. Keep in mind that though I've been out of pro audio for a while, but still have a decent set of ears for frequency irregularities. I'm not getting the V shape impression from these... it's more of a weird looking W. Out of the box, these appear to have way too much boost between 4-7 kHz or so, and to me these are borderline unlistenable. Excellent bass down to about 20Hz, very good midrange, and so-so treble is what I'm experiencing at the moment. Response seems quite flat until they get up to the aforementioned lower treble range, and then it sounds like there is a nasty hump before they level off again. Somewhere in the air above 10kHz, there's another hump - this time not nearly as pronounced. Around 15 kHz, my own hearing drops off so it's definitely not above that number.

I am really hoping break-in tames these quite a bit yet. If not, I'm probably not going to be listening to these for long. They don't sound bad at all, but the humps in the response are really driving me nuts right now. Got a Zune coming, with which these are intended be used. No EQ to help me tame these... uh-oh. If it weren't for the level of detail in the bass these have, I'd probably just put them aside and try some other IEM. I'm still not sure I don't want to do that anyway. Maybe I just got a bad pair... I tend to doubt it though.

With that said, I'm wondering if anyone else experienced the same thing with these, and did break-in settle them down some?

Mar 16, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #139 of 563
MEElectronics is offering yet another twitter/facebook promotional discount that runs through tomorrow (Wednesday, March 17th):

MEElectronics (MEElectronics) on Twitter
St. Patrick's Day... | Facebook

MEElectronics St. Patrick's Day sale! Get the top-of-the-line M6 for 20% off now through midnight Wednesday (Pacific). And you don't even have to be Irish to get the discount!
Coupon Code:
ST_PATRICK

The normal price of the M6 on MEElec.com is $39.99, but with the 20% discount, the cost is knocked down to $31.99. With $2.95 shipping (the exact amount might depend on your location), the total for me comes out to $34.94.

This is the cheapest I've found anywhere, and since it comes with the new hard clamshell case, I went ahead and ordered it. Can't wait for it to arrive.

Mar 16, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #140 of 563
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With that said, I'm wondering if anyone else experienced the same thing with these, and did break-in settle them down some?

Not nearly as analytical as you, however I must say break in definitely changed the character of the M6s. I was a little disappointed at first, but my expectations weren't incredibly high so I let it go.

About two weeks later I was so impressed I seriously considered just keeping those and not bothering to get more expensive ones. (I had bought those simply as a cheaper way of figuring out whether IEMs were for me.. I was going to sell but now I'm definitely going to keep them.)

Out of the box I didn't like my new HJE900s as much, but they also opened out nicely and I'm enjoying them more. Still love the M6s though, I'm loaning them to all my friends so they can see if they like IEMs or not
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #141 of 563
Quote:

Originally Posted by KramitDfrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm loaning them to all my friends so they can see if they like IEMs or not
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm doing the same thing, actually i havent used them in over two weeks now and i've only had them 2 months. I live in hope i'll get them back when my friends have recieved theirs.

Mar 16, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #142 of 563
Quote:

Originally Posted by KramitDfrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not nearly as analytical as you, however I must say break in definitely changed the character of the M6s. I was a little disappointed at first, but my expectations weren't incredibly high so I let it go.

About two weeks later I was so impressed I seriously considered just keeping those and not bothering to get more expensive ones. (I had bought those simply as a cheaper way of figuring out whether IEMs were for me.. I was going to sell but now I'm definitely going to keep them.)

Out of the box I didn't like my new HJE900s as much, but they also opened out nicely and I'm enjoying them more. Still love the M6s though, I'm loaning them to all my friends so they can see if they like IEMs or not
smily_headphones1.gif

Good to hear. I flogged mine all night with pink noise, and am pleased to announce that they have indeed smoothed out some and dropped a little of their harshness. There's hope now
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #144 of 563
Silicone tips don't really go bad so why bother with spares? I still recommend pairing them with Sony Hybrids instead. A little pricier but they give me a much more effortless seal. For those who like foam tips the $2 VSonic foamies off ebay work well (just make sure to get the larger bore size).

Mar 16, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #146 of 563
didnt the stock tips for these suck? i remember it falling out of the nozzle pretty easily.

Mar 17, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #147 of 563
i can't get a good isolation with the stock tips (all of the different size)

is this normal? And which alternative tips would offer an adequate isolation like the rest of the other brands iem

Mar 17, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #148 of 563
It took me a fair bit of fiddling even with the large tips to get a decent seal on these. For me, the left one almost always has a good seal right away while the right one needs to be twisted slightly so that the wire is pointing more forward before it seals. Not sure what to suggest for alternatives if you can't get the stock ones working.

Left mine all night playing music... they've settled down even more, but I'm not quite sure they will smooth out enough for me. Only time will tell, I guess, but at least the lower treble region isn't trying as hard to drill holes in my eardrums.

Wondering if I shouldn't have gone for the RE0 in the first place, as picky as I am with sound quality. Ah well... I did save money in comparison - that's not a bad thing.

Mar 17, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #149 of 563
Got mine two days ago from overstock only to find that the left earpiece was broken (sound was coming out, but it definitely didn't sound the same as the right side and there were lots of things missing in the sound - not really sure how to describe it). So they already sent me a replacement. I think they'll be perfect for me for my gym rig once I cut off the memory wire - it makes it too uncomfortable and almost painful to put on.

Mar 19, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #150 of 563
For anyone wondering about Overstock's stock, I just got the M6s that I ordered last Saturday and it is indeed the new packaging with clamshell case, but they also included the soft pouch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back