MEElectronics M6 Review
Dec 17, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #481 of 563
I've had two or three pairs of these M6s over the past couple of years.  I use the medium flanged tips.  I love the over the ear wire and how well they stay in place while moving around (mainly listening to audiobooks while out walking).

However, I've had two main issues with them...

• The cable gets severely tangled quite regularly.  This is caused by the ear wire hooks and lack of any cable management system.  Can be really annoying.  
    mad.gif
  • The tips slip off after a while.  They loosen off the channel that locks them to the earpiece. The tips either stay embedded in my ear canal or fall on the ground and lose them!  I have temporarily fixed this (several times) by using a little clear silicone gel in and around the channel to stick them back on the earpiece.

I have also had a problem with breaking the shirt clip.  I destroyed two of them (I think my rolling on them when listening to my current audiobook when laying in bed!).  I contacted MEElectonics and they replaced them free of charge and included a couple of spares.  Fantastic aftersales support!  I was amazed by how helpful and friendly they were.  

SQ is ok.  These are not high-end audiophile in-ear headphones. As with most in-ears, it's the tips and the seal you get with them that's important.  I listen mainly to audiobooks and the encoding on some of them is not that brilliant anyway. The SQ of these headphones are more than adequate for an everyday pair that gets used/abused a couple of hours every day.

For the money (& support) I don't think there is any over the ear, in-ear canal headphones that can match them at the moment.  

Mar 11, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #482 of 563
Quote:
Got my replacement! Way sooner than expected... I'm in India and they said the shipping might take 10-20 days. The new set arrived in 8 days!

Ok... I'm listening to the new pair (with double-flange tips) as I write this and it's a sea change from the old set. The mids are in control and not bleeding over everywhere masking other frequencies. The lows are deep, but highly dependent on that perfect fit. Lastly, thanks to the controlled mids, the highs are coming out well. They are not as prominent as I would have liked but I think they'll open up with some burn-in.
The sound stage and separation is good, but I've heard better in the PL-30 (I know I have to stop comparing the two!). Anyways I hope that too will get better with some burn-in.

Final words - Thank god I mailed MeElec! Their CS ROCKS!!! The earlier piece was definitely defective or fake. I think the latter is more plausible - there is a small but noticeable difference in the construction! Never order from mediahome.in (if you're in India)!

Sent you a pm.Reply soon !

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #486 of 563
What does this mean?
Thanks in advance for the clarification!

Probably referring to the clear plastic cord slider thing.

I've had these for a while but I figured it's time to post a mini review. These are my primary on-the-go pair right now as I wait for my CIEMs to be made.

Unlike many people I find the fit very good. For the first few days I had trouble figuring out which side was left and which was right without looking at the (barely visible) markings on the housing. Once I got used to it they were very easy to put it. I use three fingers - I hold the housing with my thumb and index finger, and use my middle finger to push the memory wire over my ear. Push inwards, twist backwards, and it's in. Very little microphonics, and won't fall out during any type of physical activity unlike most universal IEMs.

Bass is definitely emphasized in a typical consumer-level fashion but not overwhelming and doesn't intrude too much into the mids. Mid-bass is balanced out with sub-bass which is nice. Extends very well and still strong past 25Hz. It's not heavily textured like higher-end sets but still very musical - definitely not one-note bass.

Mids are clear and surprisingly linear for a budget set. Resolution and clarity aren't on par with my $100+ headphones or even the JVC FX31, but nothing to be ashamed of, especially at what these costs. Mids are on the lush, warm side of things but not overly thick.

The biggest problem with the M6 is a huge spike centred at 6k that makes the treble painfully harsh and bright. Mind you, this is with the tips I use, and with my ears. Everyone's ears hear differently, especially above 4k, so you may or may not have this problem. Using a free-form equalizer (EQu) I was able to fix this, and otherwise the treble is very good. It doesn't have much sparkle but is well extended and smooth.

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #487 of 563
Thanks for the response and excellent review.

Just ordered these from Amazon last night, as my Senn CX150's can't stay put in my ears when exercising (even when I wear them over my ears).  So, I am hopeful that the M6's will be in improvement in that regard.

Jul 20, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #490 of 563
Got the M6's but after a few days of fiddling with the supplied tips, I just couldn't make them work when exercising.  They would seal, but them the tips would either lose the seal, or one of them would seal a little too well, throwing the tonal balance off between the two earbuds.

The "ticket" for me  -- M6's with Sony Hybrid tips.

Just excellent.  The tips seal perfectly and they are DAMN comfortable.  The hybrids make these the best inexpensive earbuds I've owned yet.

Thanks for the recommendation guys!

Oct 12, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #491 of 563
I bought a pair of M6s about a month ago and am still yet to experience this "overwhelming bass" everyone has mentioned. I may not know much about earphones but I do know that by now the brassiness should have worn off. I'm not one of those annoying bass junkies by the way. But it is a nice element to have when listening to music...especially when training. I know they're only a cheap pair of earphones (I think I paid $40 give or take on Amazon), but in comparison to the $10 pair I purchased from K-mart almost a year ago the sound quality is very unbalanced. I think I may have gotten a dud pair sadly. Which sucks when you're on the payroll of a first year apprentice. :/

Oct 12, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #492 of 563
  I bought a pair of M6s about a month ago and am still yet to experience this "overwhelming bass" everyone has mentioned. I may not know much about earphones but I do know that by now the brassiness should have worn off. I'm not one of those annoying bass junkies by the way. But it is a nice element to have when listening to music...especially when training. I know they're only a cheap pair of earphones (I think I paid $40 give or take on Amazon), but in comparison to the $10 pair I purchased from K-mart almost a year ago the sound quality is very unbalanced. I think I may have gotten a dud pair sadly. Which sucks when you're on the payroll of a first year apprentice. :/

Do you have a good seal? You can't get bass without a good seal. I know some people love the MEElec tips but personally none of the tips that they came with actually fit me, so I had to use tips from different earphones.

As for the spike at 6khz, which may or may not be the "brassiness" you speak of, it never really goes away, although I think it has gotten better. You will need EQ to fix that.

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #494 of 563
Took a flier on these about a week ago. I think they are great for the money, and are probably worth more than that $20 on Amazon.

Bass is emphasized of course but its not muddy and doesn't seem to bleed or overwhelm anything else. Nice impact, clean sounding overall. Some might call it 'boomy' but I like it like that. Listening on my iPhone (no EQ) they are warm with good bass and enough treble to be serviceable, so your ears adjust to the lack of EQ nicely. Through my laptop and Fiio E10, I have the bass EQ'd down some and the highs actually bumped up. I have not heard any shrill or sibilant highs from these. Pretty smooth to my ears.

The mids sound really nice, smooth, and full. They don't sound recessed really at all. Nice presence overall.

I think the sound stage is also pretty nice. Feels airy enough, but not cramped. On some songs I can definitely hear things that seem to be out past my ears.

I think bottom line these are energetic sounding and have that 'fun' factor. Probably aren't what a hardcore audiophile would consider overly 'detailed' or 'analytical'. But a good listening experience. I'd also note they seem pretty forgiving of sub par recordings/sources. 

Comfort is decent, you just have to find the right tips. 

For $20 it's tough to go wrong here. If nothing else you've found the best knockaround/mowing IEMs on the planet.

Oct 22, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #495 of 563
Took a flier on these about a week ago. I think they are great for the money, and are probably worth more than that $20 on Amazon.

Bass is emphasized of course but its not muddy and doesn't seem to bleed or overwhelm anything else. Nice impact, clean sounding overall. Some might call it 'boomy' but I like it like that. Listening on my iPhone (no EQ) they are warm with good bass and enough treble to be serviceable, so your ears adjust to the lack of EQ nicely. Through my laptop and Fiio E10, I have the bass EQ'd down some and the highs actually bumped up. I have not heard any shrill or sibilant highs from these. Pretty smooth to my ears.

The mids sound really nice, smooth, and full. They don't sound recessed really at all. Nice presence overall.

I think the sound stage is also pretty nice. Feels airy enough, but not cramped. On some songs I can definitely hear things that seem to be out past my ears.

I think bottom line these are energetic sounding and have that 'fun' factor. Probably aren't what a hardcore audiophile would consider overly 'detailed' or 'analytical'. But a good listening experience. I'd also note they seem pretty forgiving of sub par recordings/sources. 

Comfort is decent, you just have to find the right tips. 

For $20 it's tough to go wrong here. If nothing else you've found the best knockaround/mowing IEMs on the planet.

Is this still good for today's standards?
Can you do a comparison between m6 and nuforce ne 770x or 600x and the soundmagic e10?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back