Meelectronics CC51 Review & Audition thread
Feb 14, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #16 of 35
If there's still room on the list, please add me to it. Though put me at the end, since I'd like to compare them to the pr401 I'll have, and that won't be for a little while.

Feb 14, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #17 of 35
You finally got your loaner program up and running :p

I would have liked a go at this to compare it to my A151 from Meelec but not much time to enjoy all my stuff now but maybe that will change towards the end of the loaner program.

Feb 14, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #18 of 35
ljokerl ,
A friend will send me a sample of Nakamichi NEP-XT1, probably within three or four weeks. I believe it uses the same housing as CC51 does. Are you interested in comparing them? I think there is a review for Nakamichi NEP-XT1 in Head-fi; I have not found any review about CC51.

Feb 14, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #19 of 35
@jant71: thanks, glad that my ears haven't been playing tricks on me with the CC51.

Quote:
If there's still room on the list, please add me to it. Though put me at the end, since I'd like to compare them to the pr401 I'll have, and that won't be for a little while.

Sure, I'll keep you towards the back stretch of the trip

Quote:
You finally got your loaner program up and running :p

I would have liked a go at this to compare it to my A151 from Meelec but not much time to enjoy all my stuff now but maybe that will change towards the end of the loaner program.

Ah, but it's a mere shadow of the grand loaner program mvw2 had envisioned. And sure - just let me know when/if your schedule clears up and I'll slot you in.

Quote:
ljokerl ,
A friend will send me a sample of Nakamichi NEP-XT1, probably within three or four weeks. I believe it uses the same housing as CC51 does. Are you interested in comparing them? I think there is a review for Nakamichi NEP-XT1 in Head-fi; I have not found any review about CC51.

Sure, I'd love to try them. AFAIK the housings should be identical but the drivers should be different between the XT1 and CC51.

Feb 14, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #20 of 35
Maybe if this loaner program works out it will lead to bigger things :p

Considering you plan on having around 10 people for 2 weeks or so I'm sure my schedule isn't book for the next 5-6 months :)

Feb 15, 2011 at 7:24 AM Post #21 of 35
Not certain if I meet all the requirements but I'd certainly be interested.  I'm really wondering if my poor experience with the M6 was a result of a manufacturing defect or if I just dislike the Meelectric sound.

Feb 19, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #23 of 35
I should be getting my CC51 back this week and then the program will kick off with mootookang. I will try to keep track of where the earphones are and for how long but I'll assume that everyone is capable of pming the next person in line and procuring the mailing address.

Quote:
how about me?
i wanna try it too.

US only... your location is not filled out so I'm not putting you on the list yet.

Feb 19, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #24 of 35
I would also be very interested in this, as I'm always excited to listen to a new pair of phones (and don't have a ton of experience in it yet!)  I'm in Morris Plains, NJ, US of A.

Feb 20, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #25 of 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ah, but it's a mere shadow of the grand loaner program mvw2 had envisioned. And sure - just let me know when/if your schedule clears up and I'll slot you in.

Unless you have something from the 3rd and 4th week of March it will be unlikely I can try them out :p

Mar 14, 2011 at 7:28 AM Post #26 of 35

[size=10.0pt]First I would like to thank |Joker| for the lender program, here’s my impression of the CC51. [/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]Build Quality:[/size][size=10.0pt][/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]The CC51 uses ceramic housing and the housing feels quite sturdy and has a nice weight to them, and is also coated to prevent scratches and fingerprints. CC51 utilizes a unique design of putting the drivers closer to the nozzle of the housing, which creates a larger nozzle that makes it difficult for fitting some tips. For example, I can’t fit sony hybrids on to CC51 at all, and even for the tips that fit, CC51’s nozzle is longer than most typical IEMs, so most tip will not be long enough to cover the entire nozzle entirely. This can sometimes result in tips falling off the nozzle and get stuck in your ears.[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]The strain relief on the CC51 is short and simple, it doesn’t inspire confidence but it gets the job done. The strain relief also has the L/R markings engraved in, but it is a bit hard to make out. [/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]The cable however, is where the main issue comes in. CC51 uses a different cable from previous meelec lineup; the new cable is light, soft, and extremely flexible. However, it is also quite possibly the thinnest cable that can be found in the current market. By comparison, the cable is slightly thinner than the cable RE0 uses from the previous generation, which is infamous for its built quality. It is still a bit too early to tell how durable the cable will hold up with regular usage, but I’m sure meelec will install a cable update if durability becomes an issue.[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]Fit & Comfort:[/size][size=10.0pt][/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]Note: CC51 is designed to be worn straight down, but my review will mainly be mainly based on around over the ear impression, since it is more comfortable for me. I personally find CC51 worn straight down to be quite microphonic and heavy, but YMMV.[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]The housing of CC51 has an angle to them. The angle doesn’t get in the way when worn straight down, but it would create an odd angle when worn over the ear. The fit would then gets a bit irritating after a while, since the angle would create weird pressure points on the ear, it could also make it a bit difficult to position the drivers correctly, making the music sound a bit odd. Pictures of CC51 when worn over the ears can be seen here:[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu236/rshie/002-6.jpg[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu236/rshie/001-7.jpg[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]The heavy housing and straight down design explains the main reason why Meelec chose the given cable, because the cable excels expectation in terms of comfort and usability. When worn over the ears, the cable feels extremely light and microphonics is nonexistent (Even without a shirtclip). I would also imagine CC51 would be a bit too heavy for most people if Meelec used their standard cable when they are worn down, so the cable choice do feel correct for CC51.[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]For those of you who are wondering how long the housing of CC51 is, I find them to be relatively the same height as Brainwavz M2. Here's a picture of them side to side:[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu236/rshie/003-6.jpg[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]Here's one without the tips:[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu236/rshie/004-4.jpg[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]Because of the narrow nozzle design of the CC51, the comfort and isolation is highly dependent on tips. The sound signature also differs more than standard IEMs when tips are changed, so I would recommend experiment with all of your available tips.[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]Sound Signature:[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]Note: Review is based on using Head Direct large bi-flange as the main tip.[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]Bass:[/size]

[size=10.0pt]The first thing that you would notice when you listen to the CC51 is the bass. The CC51 has a very obvious mid-bass boost that brings out a lot of soft bass that’s good for most modern day music styles such as hiphop. But I often find the bass to be overpowering and it easily drowns out part of the mids. The lack of a strong hard-bass is also a bit disappointing, and the bass now feel a bit bloaty and missing refinement. I do find the Head Direct large bi-flange does help with taming the soft-bass, and help refine the bass slightly.[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]Mid:[/size]

[size=10.0pt]The mids are probably my favorite part about the CC51, it presents forward mids that’s very smooth and warm signature. It also hits the “full” note, making the music sound complete. The lineup mainly focuses on clarity, and the CC51 does it through a nice mids boost, making the mids more forward and gives a sweet note to vocal presentation that makes music more smooth and musical.[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]Treble[/size][size=10.0pt]:[/size]

[size=10.0pt]The treble of CC51 is tuned at a great sweetspot. It is extended enough so that the details in music is presented, but not to the point where the treble “sparkle”. It might not have enough details of treble extensions for some head-fiers, but I do feel that the treble is tuned correctly for a warm sounding signature. However, when compared with the forward bass and mids, the treble does feel a bit recessed and a stronger presence is left to be desired.[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]Soundstage[/size][size=10.0pt]:[/size]

[size=10.0pt]The soundstage of CC51 feels a bit small for IEMs within the price range; the main reason for the small soundstage is because of the position of the driver is too close to the end of the nozzle. The sound the driver is producing is then too close to the eardrums, making separation difficult and creating a small soundstage. I do find that using Head Direct large bi-flange increase the distance between drivers and eardrums, which create a larger soundstage and improve separation, but the soundstage is still around average.[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]Positioning & Accuracy:[/size]

[size=10.0pt]The biggest issue with CC51 is positioning. As stated above, the close nozzle design makes it difficult for the driver to separate notes of different spectrum, making the layering and accuracy of the music sometimes feel like they are mashed together, especially when compared next to more analytical IEMs such as RE0.[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]Sound Signature[/size][size=10.0pt]:[/size]

[size=10.0pt]The sound signature of CC51 is very interesting, since it is very clear what the designer is aiming for “a pair of IEM that’s fun and non-fatiguing.” The lack of strong hard bass and treble extension makes the IEM very easy to listen to with no warm up time, I’m pretty sure anyone can enjoy instantly, and the bass extension is to meet the needs of the current bass loving market. Overall, CC51 is a pair of very conservative IEM, taking little risk and is designed to please everyone, making it very easy to recommend as an entry level to hi-fi realm. [/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]Value:[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]When judge solely from sound quality, CC51 is not the most impressive sounding IEM you can purchase within the current price range. However, CC51 does provide one of the most unique sound signature within the given price range. Fans of the warm, musical, and full sounding signature can enjoy their favorite sound signature without paying double the price. Although it lacks the refinements of the higher end models, CC51 does out-perform majority of the IEMs within its price range. With its unique sound signature and the easy adaption, I can easily recommend CC51 to anyone who’s interested in a deeper understanding of hi-fi music. If there’s a price adjustment or a cable update, I can easily see CC51 as one of the best IEM within its price range. It also shows that Meelec has greatly matured since the M6 that I first purchased last year, and here’s hoping that the next lineup will be even better.[/size]

Mar 14, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #27 of 35
Updated OP with current info & links to existing reviews and impressions posts. If I've missed any, please let me know.

@Mootookang: thanks for your comprehensive and detailed review.

Mar 26, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #28 of 35
Nate is finished with the CC51 so they will be arriving in my (relatively incompetent) hands sometime this week. Unfortunately for the CC51 it'll be going up against the likes of the Sunrise Xcape V1, Senn IE8, and (soon to arrive) DBA-02. Doesn't look good for the CC51...
tongue.gif

I'll do my best to write what I can, but I doubt I'll be able to write a full write-up like others here have. I'll still put down what I hear, mostly general impressions and notes compared to the other three.

Mar 26, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #29 of 35
Hope you enjoy the CC51 Aflac. I wish I had others pairs currently to compare the earphones to.
tongue.gif

I’d like to thank |joker| for setting up this loaner program--I’ve really enjoyed my time with the CC51. While I've never written a review, here's some of my impressions.

First of all, the earphones are very attractive aesthetically with ceramic housings. The strain relief looks adequate; as others have mentioned, the L and R markings on the strain reliefs cannot be seen in low light. The thin cable causes a little concern though. Compared to the thicker cables of other Meelectronics models, this cable seems a bit fragile. I haven’t had any problems, but I’m not sure how the cable will hold up in the long run.

Comfort wise, initially, my ears did ache slightly after a longer listening session. However, after getting accustomed to the CC51, I have no problems with comfort whatsoever. To get a good seal, the earphones have to be inserted fairly deep because of the size of the micro drivers. For me, the medium single flange tips worked the best—the bi-flanges worked almost as well but were a bit too big. I prefer to wear them straight down but microphonics is a noticeable issue while moving around. Over-the-ear wear solves this problem, but because of the angle of the housings, it can be harder to get a good and comfortable fit.

Starting with the bass, the CC51 has a significant mid-bass hump, which sometimes bleeds into the mid-range. I find the bass lacking some definition also. The earphones are definitely bass-centric, with the mids not far behind. The midrange is smooth and lush while remaining detailed. It seems a bit forward, at least compared to the treble. By itself, the treble is not recessed, forward, or harsh at all. Along with the more prominent mids, it sounds a bit recessed though.

The soundstage is decent; the presentation lies on the intimate side due to the drivers at the very end of the nozzle. Separation and layering of the music is sometimes lacking because of the driver position as well.

Overall, the CC51 presents a laid-back, unique sound signature that’s easy to like. The lack of sibilance or harshness in the highs results in a relaxing listening experience. While I prefer a more balanced signature, the CC51 is still an extremely solid IEM in the price range.

Apr 4, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #30 of 35
I've had the CC51 for a couple days, and I've written up some notes about it. These are my stream-of-consciousness listening notes (over the course of about an hour listening session), as I don't think I have the writing ability (or analytical listening skills) to pluck out a strong review. Take from this what you may...

Quote:

initial impressions

despite the weight and solid feel of the ceramic, the overall weight of the IEM is light, and feels good in the ear. I was afraid the shape of the IEM would cause me comfort problems, but they are small and work well with my ear shape.

the cable is a little bit thin, but otherwise okay. on this pair, the cable was frayed right below the Y-split, so it doesn't look like the cable can take a lot of long-term abuse. This may be related to joker's notes about the shirt clip shearing the cord.

bass is a little bit tubby

highs are decently extended and are not harsh at all, but not too shimmery either - good

midrange is a tiny bit recessed, mostly covered by the bass

midbass hump - low power chords are tubby. kick drums are too forward and a little bit "artificial" - sort of the one-note bass phenomenon on bass heavy music.

lower midrange is a bit recessed, accentuated by the very slightly forward upper mids and the midbass hump. otherwise, the midrange is lush and smooth, a little bit thick (probably due to the midbass, which does bleed some into the mids).

i like the treble a lot - it could be more detailed, but the amount of treble works well with the detail that is there. it doesn't dominate anything else, especially during cymbal-heavy passages. they're fast enough so that the decay on teh cymbals doesn't turn the passage into a wall of treble, yet not detailed enough to make it sound "etched". if anythign they lie a little towards the shimmery side, but not many earphones can lie on the detailed side without being treble-forward.

wear - cable up or cable down. cable up tames the bass a little bit for my ears, or brings forward mids and treble - this is a plus, IMO. the nozzles are also more comfortable cable-up, where they disappear after teh first few minutes. nozzle down, they never really disappear, and will probably start being annoying after a while. after about an hour my ear canals do begin to ache, due to the size of the nozzle. If you typically wear the smallest single-flange silicone tips for your other IEMs, the CC51 may not be for you if you want very long-term comfort. For short-listening periods, like 2-3 hours tops, they should be okay.

soft cable guides (like Phonak audeo silicone guides) are crucial for cable-up wear, since the cable doesn't particularly like to stay behind my ear when worn this way. otherwise they're quite comfortable and work well in either configuration.

microphonics are pretty bothersome cable-down; over ear they are good.

tip selection - mediocre, only three single flanges and a somewhat-large biflange. this is due to the fact that the nozzle on teh CC51 contains the driver, so the tips can only get so small. this is a negative for me, since the small flanges and the nozzle are barely small enough for my tiny ear canals. fortunately they work for the most part.

They perform poorly with poorly-encoded songs - they appear to get more v-shaped, and the treble starts to become sibilant/strident. all this means is that they are detailed enough on the high end to show you issues in recordings. this is a good thing for the IEM and a bad thing if you have low bitrate music, IMO.

With regards to speed and separation, they are fast enough to not become "clogged" or congested on faster, heavier songs, which is impressive considering the bass. instrument separation may be a little bit above average, I'm not quite experienced enough in this area to tell, really.

overall the CC51 is a good mix between top-end detail and a V-shaped fun IEM. At $80 they are excellent performers. Personally I would probably give them around a 8.0/10-8.1/10 on Joker's sound scale. They're a lot of fun, and pretty bassy (almost too much so for me), but don't sacrifice detail to make it so. They are good competition for the Monster Turbines, beating them in most areas except for bass quality (due to the mid-bass tubbiness of the CC51).

As it stands, I don't have a whole lot of time this week to sit down and listen to earphones, so I'll probably send them off to the next guy in line soon. I might clean up this "review", too - they are just notes at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back