Meelec M6 = Best sub $50 dollar IEM?
Jul 21, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 28
You're going to need to be more specific than that in terms of what you're after. No headphone/earphone is perfect and the M6 has its strengths and weaknesses which may or may not mesh well with your personal preferences. 

To me the best all-around <$50 earphone right now is the Brainwavz M1. However, for electronica/trance I would still pick the M6, for Jazz I would pick the ViSang R02, etc etc.

Likewise for uses - there's no beating the M6 for use while exercising but for sleeping I'd probably pick the smaller Soundmagic PL50 and so forth. 

Jul 21, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #3 of 28
Ah, I should have been much more exact in my uses. Apologies for being so vague

Looking for something with a nice low-end, something with a nice punch. I do prefer bassy IEMs, I'm using JVC Marshmallows right now as a  beater, and from your experience, how would they compare to the M6?

I would like to note that I enjoy the sound signature of the Marshmallows.

Jul 21, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #4 of 28

Quote:
To me the best all-around <$50 earphone right now is the Brainwavz M1. However, for electronica/trance I would still pick the M6, for Jazz I would pick the ViSang R02, etc etc.

x2

Gotta second you on the Brainwavz M1 Joker.  Unbelievable sound and value.  

Jul 21, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #5 of 28

Quote:

I thought the Visang R02 was the same as the M1, and the R03 same as M2, and that the differences were minor design stuff. 

I like my M6, but if I didn't have it I would consider spending a few extra bucks for the Brainwavz M2. Adding 10 or so bucks to the $50 limit really opens up some options.

Jul 21, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #6 of 28
The Marshmallow is still bassier in the sense that the bass bleeds all over the place but the Meelecs are plenty impactful. If your marshmallows are unmodded, the M6 will have a lot more treble which can be a bit fatiguing especially at high volumes, if you're not used to it. Clarity and detail are of course several steps above the marshmallows but the five-fold difference in price shouldn't make that a surprise. 

If you want to stay closer to the Marshmallow signature there's the ViSang R02 you may want to take a look at. It's not quite as impactful as the M6 but is warmer, smoother, and has more forward mids and slightly rolled-off treble. 

Jul 21, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

I thought the Visang R02 was the same as the M1, and the R03 same as M2, and that the differences were minor design stuff. 

I like my M6, but if I didn't have it I would consider spending a few extra bucks for the Brainwavz M2. Adding 10 or so bucks to the $50 limit really opens up some options.

The R03 is indeed the same as the M2 but the R02 and M1 are different earphones. The R02 is almost identical to the R03/M2 in sound, using the same drivers and with only the most minor acoustic variations due to the different shells. The M1 is more balanced than the R02/R03/M2 with less warmth, lower bass impact, and more pronounced treble. 

Jul 21, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #9 of 28
The Eterna is more similar to HJE900 bass than the VB but if you found the qty. of the Panasonics' impact unsatisfactory than the slightly more polite Eterna probably won't satisfy. If you just want something more full-bodied then the Eterna will do but don't expect it to hit harder than the HJE900.

Edit: Not sure why you changed your post but

Quote:

If I'm into a more bass heavy sound, the M2s would be a better option than the M1, correct?

Correct.

Jul 22, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #10 of 28
Hmm, it seems like I can't seem to quite find an IEM that can satisfy my longing for bass haha.

I suppose I will have to purchase a full-sized can, perhaps a Sony XB700 to satisfy my itch for that bass.

Something like the M6 for out and about will have to suffice.

Thanks for the help!

Jul 22, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:
Hmm, it seems like I can't seem to quite find an IEM that can satisfy my longing for bass haha.

There is but it comes with sacrifices. It's called the TDK EB900 and it has about 15dB of bass boost. It's pretty much the in-ear equivalent of the Sony XB series - lots of bass with recessed (but not completely overshadowed a-la Skullcandy) everything else.

Jul 22, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #12 of 28
IMO the M6 has great clear bass and lots of it in comparison to the marshmallows.   I have searched for awhile for a great set of IEMs for use at the gym (v-moda vibes, bose in-ear, addiem, s4, super fi 4, cx300, re0...)  and the M6 provided an amazing sound for the $23 shipped price that I paid.  They do not provide the same level of sound as an re0 but do provide an very good balanced sound for the money. 

Jul 22, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #13 of 28

Quote:
 the M6 provided an amazing sound for the $23 shipped price that I paid.  They do not provide the same level of sound as an re0 but do provide an very good balanced sound for the money. 

x2

Jul 24, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #14 of 28

Quote:
The R03 is indeed the same as the M2 but the R02 and M1 are different earphones. The R02 is almost identical to the R03/M2 in sound, using the same drivers and with only the most minor acoustic variations due to the different shells. The M1 is more balanced than the R02/R03/M2 with less warmth, lower bass impact, and more pronounced treble. 

Ah, thank you. Very good to know. The R02 sounds like a pretty good value. Or at least it used to be.

Jul 24, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #15 of 28
Buy.com has the M6-Clear for $19.99 with free shipping:
http://www.buy.com/prod/meelectronics-m6-stylish-sound-isolating-sports-earphones-clear/q/loc/111/212545061.html

You can also check-out through Amazon for the black version:
http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-M6-BK-Sport-Sound-Isolating-Headphones/dp/B0038W0K2K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1279994723&sr=8-2

I snagged a pair even though I already have a pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back