MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - $199 Dynamic Driver Flagship *Reviews 2nd Post*
Feb 5, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #122 of 3,265

I owned the Rockets for about 2 months. There's no comparison. Rockets are nice and detailed and have an inoffensive "smooth" signature, sure, but P1 are much more detailed, have real sub-bass presence, much greater treble extension, wider sound stage, and a lot better tracking of background instruments/microdetail where other IEMs would get hazy/busy sounding. The only thing Rocket might do better is their midrange and we're splitting hairs at that point.

Sub bass presence, but neutral IEM overall?

Feb 5, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #123 of 3,265

The standard cable with and w/o mic are non silver-plated, while audiophile is silver-plated audio only version.

Right, though I meant more being cool that they included the third option which many would not and just have the two original replacements. Though i do think it makes sense since they are MMCX to take advantage of non-P1 owner sales. Don't see too much from P1 owners as if they needed a new mic cable they wouldn't buy the non-mic and not too many would replace the audiophile with a standard since the price of the both the P1 and the cable aren't prohibitive.

300Hr minimium

Burn what in? The Rockets, Moch?? I'd assume you had the Rockets so you mean them and if the P1 is already ways ahead why worry about any burn in improvement? The market moves and changes fast and the Rockets are getting long in the tooth and are being passed by in the SQ dept. Of course such is the price of progress these days.

Feb 5, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #124 of 3,265

The standard cable with and w/o mic are non silver-plated, while audiophile is silver-plated audio only version.

Right, though I meant more being cool that they included the third option which many would not and just have the two original replacements. Though i do think it makes sense since they are MMCX to take advantage of non-P1 owner sales. Don't see too much from P1 owners as if they needed a new mic cable they wouldn't buy the non-mic and not too many would replace the audiophile with a standard since the price of the both the P1 and the cable aren't prohibitive.

and btw P1 cables have a small enough mmcx connector housing to even fit Westone bean-shaped IEMs.  Westone W- and UM Pro- series doesn't work with every connector, need to use very slim housing.

Feb 5, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #125 of 3,265
  Sub bass presence, but neutral IEM overall?

Yes naturally! Sub-bass is still part of the audio spectrum -- and with the P1 you can actually hear it!

Feb 5, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #127 of 3,265
:metal_tone2:I freaking love the P1 :metal_tone2:

I can confirm that the Pinnacle is pretty hot stuff. Bit of quirkiness in the midrange (recession at 1-2 kHz) but gonna tip roll some to see if that can't be ironed out. That aside, it's a tremendous performer irrespective of price.

I owned the Rockets for about 2 months. There's no comparison. Rockets are nice and detailed and have an inoffensive "smooth" signature, sure, but P1 are much more detailed, have real sub-bass presence, much greater treble extension, wider sound stage, and a lot better tracking of background instruments/microdetail where other IEMs would get hazy/busy sounding. The only thing Rocket might do better is their midrange and we're splitting hairs at that point.

What is happening in this thread? Hype train is approaching maximum velocity. Looks like I'm buying these tonight.

Feb 5, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #129 of 3,265

Feb 5, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #130 of 3,265
I usually don't post my Vibro Veritas measurements because I don't have a tightly calibrated setup, but this can give you an idea of what to expect from P1 (I took a number of measurements and noticed some variation below 50Hz, could be due to a coupler seal).

Feb 5, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #132 of 3,265
  How loud do these get straight from the headphone jack? Amp required? I have an iPhone 6.

iPhone 6 would definitely get you to ear splitting volumes on the P1. An extra amp would likely give you a bit more realistic presentation, but I haven't heard the iPhone 6 to compare.

Feb 5, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #133 of 3,265
I usually don't post my Vibro Veritas measurements because I don't have a tightly calibrated setup, but this can give you an idea of what to expect from P1 (I took a number of measurements and noticed some variation below 50Hz, could be due to a coupler seal).

That looks rather pleasing, you wouldn't happen to have another set of measurements to use as a reference for comparison would ya, oh pretty please

Feb 5, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #134 of 3,265

Wow. Interesting. Uncompensated I assume? Also, I'm going to ignore everything above 5k given your calibration qualifier.

Feb 5, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #135 of 3,265
That's basically how I hear it from 20 hz to 3 kHz on tonegen. There's roll off at about 40 hz. You're definitely not getting skull vibrating bass from these but the bass is very tight and punchy. The 1-2 kHz dip I get. Don't note a dip at 4 kHz tho and definitely don't get that severe of a dip past 5 kHz. There's a drop off at 6 kHz but then things pick back up at 7-8 kHz for me. That 11 kHz peak is definitely there. If you're more into the smooth tonality of stuff like Rockets or the Tenore I'm not sure these would be for you. The P1's gonna sound more bright, thin in the mids and etched in comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back