MDR-EX1000 cable replacement
Sep 19, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #31 of 72
Hopefully it wasn't the flimsy US version stock cable you were soldering...doing wires that small I think would drive me insane :dizzy_face:

@kms108 Where did you find the right angled Pentaconn? I think instead of reterminating I will just make an adapter or two if I get the upcoming ZX300.

Sep 19, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #32 of 72
Hopefully it wasn't the flimsy US version stock cable you were soldering...doing wires that small I think would drive me insane :dizzy_face:

@kms108 Where did you find the right angled Pentaconn? I think instead of reterminating I will just make an adapter or two if I get the upcoming ZX300.
I think I seen someone post a photo here, just did some searching, it's available for pre order from e earphones Japan for 10800 yen for the OFC and 6800 yen the non OFC, since I'm on the phone ATM, will post links later on.

Sep 19, 2017 at 4:51 AM Post #33 of 72

I think I seen someone post a photo here, just did some searching, it's available for pre order from e earphones Japan for 10800 yen for the OFC and 6800 yen the non OFC, since I'm on the phone ATM, will post links later on.

http://www.e-earphone.jp/shop/shopd...000000152184&search=pentaconn&sort=price_desc

http://www.e-earphone.jp/shop/shopd...000000152185&search=pentaconn&sort=price_desc

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #34 of 72

The cable was the Japanese version, labelled EX1000. Multiple strands of small diameter litz wire for each connection. Twisted them together, and then burned off the insulation on the strands, to expose the bare wire. I suspect that the EX800 cable probably has a similar construction, though with a different purity of wire. I think I read that it was OFC, versus 6n for the EX1000 cable.

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #35 of 72
EX600 and EX800 are just normal OFC, the US version EX1000 comes with the EX600 cable, countries like Japan and Hong Kong will get the EX1000 cable.

The EX1000 cable is 7N.

Sep 19, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #36 of 72
~$60 for non-OFC... Yikes, that's some Furutech type pricing schedule.

Sep 20, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #37 of 72
mine are the ultrashort ones, but here they also have a version whose connection angle is different

http://e4ua.jp/?p=318

yes it's approx 120$ pair but there's also shipping

they also seem willing to reterminate your own cables with genuine ex1000 plugs

I emailed to him, here is the quoted cost, and it's rather expensive, so i'm still considering.

4000yen labour cost for each piece, total 8000yen for both Left and Right

5800yen for the EX parts

890yen for the MMCX parts

Total 14690yen (including tax 15865 yen)

This is for the matt black.

Optional cost

Glossy finish + 2000yen

Tone adjustment correspondence + 1500yen (including colors other than black, selection include, white, transparent, clear color and metallic type)

Metallic type requires glossy finish, + 2000yen and 1500yen

Shipping will be handled only by EMS in case of overseas shipping, shipping fee will vary depending on the area of residence. In addition, 1000 yen is separately paid as a packing / shipping fee.

We accept your quotation and enter the production queue by depositing via PayPal. Please note that payment with PayPal will cost 4% commission.

The total amount you will pay is "(Product fee + EMS shipping + packing · shipping fee) xPayPal payment commission 4%".
We have received 10 to 25 business days from the date we received payment and received confirmation. Currently it is shipping in around 10 business days.

Dec 22, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #38 of 72
The EX1000 stock cable has 4 wires at the plug. I bought a 2nd hand EX1000, which had a working short cable, but the long cable (ex1000 cable) had a broken wire close to the plug. Moving the wire, you could hear the connection being made intermittently. I was OK with that, as I intended to re-terminate to a 4.4mm plug anyways. When I did, I found that the wire strands are litz, with insulation around each strand that I had to burn off with the soldering iron/hot solder first, before soldering onto the plug. So yes, the stock cable definitely has 4 wires at the plug end and can be used with the 4.4mm balanced plug. I still have difficulties soldering onto those small plug contacts. Might be the wrong soldering iron, my solder (WBT 4% silver) may be too old, etc. I managed to complete the job and get it working, but it was not a nice quick job. I was really struggling with it. I notice the shops and people used to doing it have a much easier time, so I still have some learning/practice to do.

Oh, the stock cable sounds pretty good on the 4.4mm. I did not spend much time on the SE TRS, so can't really give much of a comparison, though.

Thanks for the information first, in Japan recently during my visit I had reterminated 3 cables, 2 being the sony EX1000 and one being a final audio cable, got 1 pentaconn OFC and 2 normal pentaconn, both right angle version. After the reterminate of the cable, I do have the cut off, of the existing 3.5mm plug, and it does clearly show 4 strand of cable, apparently I think I lost one of the cables:sweat_smile:, either I threw it away by mistake or it's still in my room somewhere, as I had my room refurbished, and it's a mess.

I will post photo ASAP.

Dec 22, 2017 at 6:49 AM Post #39 of 72
~$60 for non-OFC... Yikes, that's some Furutech type pricing schedule.
I did three cables one OFC and 2 normal one, then I also had to add 6000yen (53 USD) for the retermination for each cable.

May 4, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #42 of 72
So, i just bought an ex1000 cable for my 7550. Is there a trick to removing the stock 7550 cable? I've tried twisting/pulling but I'm worried I'm going to break something with the force I'm putting on it with nothing happening. Any help would be appreciated.

May 4, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #43 of 72
You just twist clockwise to loosen it, anti clockwise to tighten.

Jul 18, 2018 at 4:06 AM Post #44 of 72
I would be grateful if someone could help me confirm if the cables for the ex1000, ex800 and ex600 are all interchangeable? Thinking of buying an ex800 and want to buy a balanced cable as well. Thanks.

Jul 18, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #45 of 72
Yes and no, but don't bother buying the ex800 if you intend to get custom made cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back