Mdht Stockholm - New Dac w/Asynch USB Input
Jan 22, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #76 of 148

Quote:
Yes, the PCM56 DAC chips are limited to 16 bit input.

However, the Stockholm utilizes a new "digital receive" which is capable of rendering 24bit/192khz audio; I've tested/compared the new Stockholm with my Havana and the difference is night and day when using hi res flacs...after processing, the analogue output is handled via the typical PCM56 DACs...

Best...
.joel

I'm finding this thread quite confusing. The CS8416 is a digital audio receiver chip which allows the send and receive of digital audio data up to 192 khz. I don't think it does any "rendering" of audio. That job would be up to the DAC chip which in this case is the old PCM56P which only "renders" 16/44.

Even MHDT's website says the "Stockholm DAC is capable of up to 24bits/192kHz digital signal inputs yet remains driving legendary PCM56P R-2R digital to analog output."

I love my Havana and only listen to 16/44 material. In the future, I want to take advantage of all the 24/96 and higher-res files available online. I don't want my DAC to ignore all those additional bits, do I?

Jan 22, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #77 of 148

Quote:
I'm finding this thread quite confusing. The CS8416 is a digital audio receiver chip which allows the send and receive of digital audio data up to 192 khz. I don't think it does any "rendering" of audio. That job would be up to the DAC chip which in this case is the old PCM56P which only "renders" 16/44.

Even MHDT's website says the "Stockholm DAC is capable of up to 24bits/192kHz digital signal inputs yet remains driving legendary PCM56P R-2R digital to analog output."

I love my Havana and only listen to 16/44 material. In the future, I want to take advantage of all the 24/96 and higher-res files available online. I don't want my DAC to ignore all those additional bits, do I?

Your confused because I know nothing about electronics and am trying to explain something electronic anyway... LOL ...

I have exhaustively tested the Havana vs. the Stockholm with the *very* few 192/24 files I have, though and the difference is extremely noticeable between the two DACs ... with the Stockholm sound much more resolved, detailed and better articulate.

Like yourself, however ... I have a VAST 44/16 .flac collection and have very little need for high res files (and most of the music I'm in to isn't released high res anyway) and so I'm not concerned with a hi res capable DAC, personally.

Hopefully somebody can chime in and better explain things for you. Also, feel free to email Jiun (lead designer) at MHDT with any technical questions; he might not answer immediately but he generally *does* answer ... the email is mhdtgang@yahoo.com.

Best.

.joel

Jan 22, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #78 of 148
Thanks for the explanation, Joel. I guess what has confused me is that this DAC is listed for sale on a couple sites as a "high resolution digital" dac, but I don't see how it could be. What I need from MHDT is a DAC that uses all the bit depths and sample rates available (and doesn't discard them) but built from a Havana philosophy in terms of the sound. 

I guess the Stockholm is not that product.

Jan 22, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #79 of 148
@Stephen:

Check out the Neko DAC ... I have it from reputable sources that it is a very sweet, analogue sounding sort of DAC sharing many of the qualities of the NOS sound (not sure if it's NOS or not). Read the specs at the following link and also there are a ton of reviews at the same site:

http://www.nekoaudio.com/

I'm personally thinking about checking one out in the near future.

Best.
.joel

Jan 23, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #80 of 148

Quote:
@Stephen:

Check out the Neko DAC ... I have it from reputable sources that it is a very sweet, analogue sounding sort of DAC sharing many of the qualities of the NOS sound (not sure if it's NOS or not). Read the specs at the following link and also there are a ton of reviews at the same site:

http://www.nekoaudio.com/

I'm personally thinking about checking one out in the near future.

Best.
.joel

I should try that DAC in the next months...I have high expectations on it

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #82 of 148

Quote:
I should try that DAC in the next months...I have high expectations on it

I would love to hear your thoughts on it when and if. I'm curious and if I can some how get a loaner to check out, then it might be a Havana de throner ... but need to hear it first. 

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #83 of 148

Quote:

Thanks for the shout-out, s1rrah. :)

The D100 Mk2 uses a pair of PCM1794A DAC chips, which are 8x oversampling. It does not upsample, by design. Rather than hijack this thread, if you have any questions feel free to PM me or start a new thread. The latest Head-Fi thread on it is here.

Quote:
Any reviews??

There are lots of reviews from both customers and professionals on the web site; many are only on the forum. There's also a running collection of some reviews from the loaner programs over at AudioCircle. If there's something in particular you might be looking for in a review, let me know and I'll try to find one that is applicable.

Jun 20, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #85 of 148
If one uses a Balanced Stockholm or Havana in a Single End mode are both tube sections on?

Jul 2, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #86 of 148
Hi,

I have now several hundred hours of operation and experience with Stockholm.

I modified this Stockholm drawing inspiration from the topic of Havana:

Core R-transformer
fast diodes
tantalum resistors
Auricap 0.1uf
Mundorf Silver / Gold 2.2uf for output
Western Electric 396a JW
Fuse
Elna capacitor Silmic II
etc ...

This unit is really wonderful

I will soon replace the Mundorf by V-Cap CUTF 0.47uf, Robeert1 tried and I trust him 100% when he says it's like night and day compared to Mundorf.

For those who would be interrested in a Stockholm, I have a unit for sale, new, never unwrapped, 900 USD shipping included, it comes with V-Cap capacitors OIMP 2uf.

I do not know if I can give an ad for sale here, if it is forbidden, delete it
smile.gif

Jul 4, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #87 of 148
V-caps CuTF need a long burning-in time 250h-300h, they're really worth the money... nothing is better in transparancy and resolution... absolute killers - they set Havana to the highest quality possible...
Mudorfs silver/gold are really good but they can't compete with CuTF... :frowning2:

This was the most expensive and the most effective upgrade of all I made so far. The end......this is it.

Jul 12, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #88 of 148
If you set up the Stockholm for USB2 configuration (JP1 short) & Asynchronous operation & then you connect it to a USB1.1 what happens?
Will the DAC still function?

Jul 30, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #89 of 148
The Stockholm fully modified by GP77 just arrived.

Merci beau coup Cédric, you've done an excellent job, I am so grateful.

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #90 of 148
The Stockholm fully modified by GP77 just arrived.

Merci beau coup Cédric, you've done an excellent job, I am so grateful.

Any pics? :) And congratz btw

Users who are viewing this thread

Back