McChanson amps tube rolling thread
May 13, 2024 at 8:13 AM Post #408 of 740
Russian Tube Symbols & Letters.

May 13, 2024 at 8:52 AM Post #409 of 740
My latest conversation with xulingmrs :scream: . Now we know why she's closing , she's had enough of China !!!
Screenshot 2024-05-13 at 8.48.09 PM.png

May 13, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #410 of 740
However having now compare 6p14p and Mullard EL84, the latter is the better sounding tube. Much more smoother but still very tight and linear with good bass control. It's the high end chime that is so appealing with these EL84 tube types.
I have a pair of Matsushita 6BQ5, when compared to the Russian 6P14P. It sounds like you described the Mullard EL84. I wonder whether they used the same factory tools as Mullard.

May 13, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #411 of 740
Ich habe ein Paar Matsushita 6BQ5, im Vergleich zum russischen 6P14P. Es klingt, als hätten Sie den Mullard EL84 beschrieben. Ich frage mich, ob sie die gleichen Fabrikwerkzeuge wie Mullard verwendet haben.
As far as I know not, they were supposedly independent EL84s from Hitachi.
Also from Toshiba, as far as I know they were made by Matsushida for the 2, I don't think Nec made any if they are branded and could be from Mullard.
There are some Japanese and beautiful rarities to discover in this sector.
I wish I had a little more access to them.
I found the Toshiba's quite cheaply on Ebay.

May 13, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #412 of 740
As far as I know not, they were supposedly independent EL84s from Hitachi.
Also from Toshiba, as far as I know they were made by Matsushida for the 2, I don't think Nec made any if they are branded and could be from Mullard.
There are some Japanese and beautiful rarities to discover in this sector.
I wish I had a little more access to them.
I found the Toshiba's quite cheaply on Ebay.
As far as I know, Matsushita bought Mullard factories and Mullard also transferred their technology to Matsushita. Some of their tubes have the same sound.

May 13, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #414 of 740
5b/254a and 5b/254m have the most addictive sound I've heard from any power tubes. There is a 5b/255m without top cap and I expect it to sound the same.
Another one add to the list. . . :grin:

May 13, 2024 at 2:29 PM Post #415 of 740
Another one add to the list. . . :grin:

I got the GEC 807 ATS25, VT60, 5b/254a and 5b/254m near the end of my power tubes hunting and they should have been at the beginning. Tonally they are on par with the best of the power tubes.

The thing that kept me away from 807 was a Radiotron 807 that went up in flames before my eyes and took out my Elekit 8200 amp in the early days. A shot of pink flame, that was quite a sight.

After a day with the 5b/254a, I put back the GEC 807 ATS25 and the magic is still there. It's lusher whereas the former is tighter and more linear. At this level of sound quality, a slight shift tonally will give you an adrenaline boost.

The joy of tube rolling is real and addictive. There are no better hobby. :relaxed:

May 13, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #416 of 740
I got the GEC 807 ATS25, VT60, 5b/254a and 5b/254m near the end of my power tubes hunting and they should have been at the beginning. Tonally they are on par with the best of the power tubes.

The thing that kept me away from 807 was a Radiotron 807 that went up in flames before my eyes and took out my Elekit 8200 amp in the early days. A shot of pink flame, that was quite a sight.

After a day with the 5b/254a, I put back the GEC 807 ATS25 and the magic is still there. It's lusher whereas the former is tighter and more linear. At this level of sound quality, a slight shift tonally will give you an adrenaline boost.

The joy of tube rolling is real and addictive. There are no better hobby. :relaxed:
You got in front of my question with this response and thanks!

I should have my GEC VT60 by the end of the week, and can't wait to hear that one.

May 13, 2024 at 3:22 PM Post #417 of 740
You got in front of my question with this response and thanks!

I should have my GEC VT60 by the end of the week, and can't wait to hear that one.

Get your music ready. I have 4 CDs that are quality recordings and I also like the songs obviously.

Brothers In Arms - Dire Straits Vinyl and CD
Cafe Blue 24k Gold Collector's Edition HDCD - Patricia Barber
Famous Blue Rain Coat 20th Anniversary Edition - Jennifer Warnes
Hell Freezes Over XRCD JVC Made in Japan - Eagles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back