McChanson amps tube rolling thread
May 12, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #376 of 729
Yes I'm aware that OTK is the quality stamp. Thanks for sharing this link on the symbols for the factories though.

My G-807 is from Ulyanovsk. It has the old symbol Y as shown in your link. The other tube is Reflector because it has the old diamond symbol. At least now I know how to tell this. :relaxed:

The seller just state it as Ulyanovsk and in their picture it's with brown base but I got black base.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/314793313600

Originally it seems to me that most Soviet tubes came from Svetlana in St Petersburg. However, it was too close to western Europe during World War II and the Russians moved vacuum tube production to very far away places.

May 12, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #377 of 729
Originally it seems to me that most Soviet tubes came from Svetlana in St Petersburg. However, it was too close to western Europe during World War II and the Russians moved vacuum tube production to very far away places.

Good history lesson !

I'm swapping to these russians tubes this morning. 6C15P (6S15P) the predecessor of 6S45P. Sovtek 6H30Pi but it's labelled as 6H6P-N. This is 6H30Pi that Eric call the Supertube. :relaxed:

6C15P - typical russian old boxes but these are rare now. I'm privilege to have sampled it. It is much better than 6S45P. It's so much more clearer.
IMG_9324.jpg

6H6P-N - I wasn't so impressed with the EH 6H30Pi yesterday because the soundstage is narrower but this soundstage is as wide as the 6C15P and also super clear and vibrant. It's going to be a few more hours before I can decide whether I like this more or the 6C15P. Notice the box symbol and the tube symbol are not the same?
IMG_9323.jpg

May 12, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #378 of 729
The Russian EL84‘s are nowhere near as good as what you'll find from EL84’s, even Tungsram's sound great and a lot better.
If you can find EL84 Hitachi at a good price you will compete with the Mullards.
They are slightly better in all areas.
I still have Rca of EL84s, unfortunately I only got one from the auction last week instead of a pair, the seller made a mistake and only had one, one day I'll come across another one.
I find EL84s generally very good in the Ultimate, but they are so strong with a 12AU/AT7.
A little better with 6SN7 but not much.
6sn7s are also very good in the Ultimate and are sometimes better than 12au7s, depending on the design.

May 12, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #379 of 729
The Russian EL84‘s are nowhere near as good as what you'll find from EL84’s, even Tungsram's sound great and a lot better.
If you can find EL84 Hitachi at a good price you will compete with the Mullards.
They are slightly better in all areas.
I still have Rca of EL84s, unfortunately I only got one from the auction last week instead of a pair, the seller made a mistake and only had one, one day I'll come across another one.
I find EL84s generally very good in the Ultimate, but they are so strong with a 12AU/AT7.
A little better with 6SN7 but not much.
6sn7s are also very good in the Ultimate and are sometimes better than 12au7s, depending on the design.

You're right there Deleeh ! Mullard EL84 is much better than the 6P14P but the latter is still good.

I have from Eric another EL84 equivalent.

It's the 7189, the more powerful version of 6BQ5. The European call it EL84. American call it 6BQ5. :relaxed: This is going in today and I will compare it to the Mullard EL84 and 6P14P.

IMG_9327.jpg

A Mullard 7189 Made in England?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/296412958707?

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 6:49 PM Post #382 of 729
Good history lesson !

I'm swapping to these russians tubes this morning. 6C15P (6S15P) the predecessor of 6S45P. Sovtek 6H30Pi but it's labelled as 6H6P-N. This is 6H30Pi that Eric call the Supertube. :relaxed:

6C15P - typical russian old boxes but these are rare now. I'm privilege to have sampled it. It is much better than 6S45P. It's so much more clearer.

6H6P-N - I wasn't so impressed with the EH 6H30Pi yesterday because the soundstage is narrower but this soundstage is as wide as the 6C15P and also super clear and vibrant. It's going to be a few more hours before I can decide whether I like this more or the 6C15P. Notice the box symbol and the tube symbol are not the same?
This is 6N6P-I when you translate to our letters. They are made for impulse mode. I bought ten of them for peanuts some ten years ago and liked them better than Electro Harmonix 6N30-Pi. I also liked it better than the regular version. My tubes have the old logo for NEVZ Novosibirsk and were manufactured in September 1972. You are not supposed to like them. https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/6n6p-vs-6n6p-i.138426/

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 6:53 PM Post #383 of 729
The left tube has the Blackburn code while the code on the right one is more difficult to see.

So many beautiful sounding tubes to try and so many amps here to choose from. While waiting for the tubes to cool down in Ultimate to swap to 7189, I listen with Odyssey using Telefunken EL11 driving RT EL39. This is one of my favourite pairing.

I have the GE 7189 in Ultimate now using 6C15P as drivers. It's a knockout !

IMG_9328.jpg

May 12, 2024 at 6:57 PM Post #384 of 729
This is 6N6P-I when you translate to our letters. They are made for impulse mode. I bought ten of them for peanuts some ten years ago and liked them better than Electro Harmonix 6N30-Pi. I also liked it better than the regular version. My tubes have the old logo for NEVZ Novosibirsk and were manufactured in September 1972. You are not supposed to like them. https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/6n6p-vs-6n6p-i.138426/

Fortunately I have heard the 6N6P-I or I would believe these guys and think I shouldn't like them. This driver in Ultimate is good with a capital G. Make that great.

May 12, 2024 at 7:17 PM Post #386 of 729
There's a lot of information on Russian tubes in this link you gave. I will file it away for reading later. It talks about 6N23P and 6P3S as well.
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/6n6p-vs-6n6p-i.138426/
Yes, plenty. Some of it might be dated, I don't know. It's a long time since I first read it. I have also a pair of regular 6N6P made in the same factory, NEVZ, one month earlier. These regular ones is a taller bottle tube. Same factory, August 1972. So they are absolutely different in more than one way.

May 12, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #387 of 729
May 12, 2024 at 7:33 PM Post #388 of 729
Someone wrote that 6N6P-I is muddy.

Yeah I know and I smile when I read that because that is not what I hear. After years of using tube amps and tubes, I know where my preferences are and muddy and bloomy is not one of them. :)

All my 3 tube amps are agile with fast transient attacks, engaging mids and still maintains a tight control on bass.

May 12, 2024 at 7:49 PM Post #389 of 729
Regarding the 6H30Pi the real super tube is supposed to be the 6H30-DR bit I haven’t heard it - too expensive for my taste. I have the other 6H30 variants and the Pi sounded the best to me.
I am sure that you know this but just to clarify: There is no such brand as OTK of Russian tubes. It is simply a quality control stamp meaning inspected by and usually followed by a number- inspector 33 as an example.
Most Russian tubes have logos on them and the factory can be identified by these pictures:
http://www.ominous-valve.com/russtube.html
Thanks , I did not know this . The link is super helpful , cheers

May 12, 2024 at 7:57 PM Post #390 of 729

Users who are viewing this thread

Back