MB Quart QP400 just showed up...initial impressions
Mar 12, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #31 of 43
Received mine, finally. Typical MB Quart with a lot of treble. Some tracks were painfully bright in combination.  I'll give them a good run-in and see how they are in a week.

If you haven't already, open them up and peel off the black disk stuck to the middle layer of foam in the cups. Should bring out a bit more bass.

Mar 12, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #32 of 43
Does the DT770 earpads fit nice on the QP400? I think the stock QP400 earpads are a bit too small for me. I may get the DT770 ones if they are a good fit.

Mar 13, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #33 of 43

Quote:
Received mine, finally. Typical MB Quart with a lot of treble. Some tracks were painfully bright in combination.  I'll give them a good run-in and see how they are in a week.

If you haven't already, open them up and peel off the black disk stuck to the middle layer of foam in the cups. Should bring out a bit more bass.

Those are the same impressions I got when I auditioned the QP 400. Very, very bright.
My GMP 400 dampening scheme also uses a small (roughly 40 - 50 milimeters diameter) black velvet disk glued in between to layers of foam (one thicker than the other)... HMMM...

Looking forward to your impressions.
Quote:
Does the DT770 earpads fit nice on the QP400? I think the stock QP400 earpads are a bit too small for me. I may get the DT770 ones if they are a good fit.

You should ask first how does it sound!
How does the QP 400 sound with the AKG velour earpads?
Could you post a picture?
You could get other German Maestro earpads if you want.

Mounted on the headphone: 41-6085 - Round earpads, velvet/velour;
Top center of the picture: 41-6050 - Oval perforated earpads with bigger opening, soft foil;
Top right: 41-6049 - Same as 41-6085 but perforated;
Bottom right: 41-6086 - Small oval opening with filter incorporated earpads, synthetic Leather.

As you guys can see in these two pictures I have 4 different pairs of earpads to use with my GMP 400 and 450 Pro.
The stock ones on the MB Quart QP 400 are the 41-6049 and these are the brightest are leanest sounding earpads of them all.

I tried those earpads on my GMP 400 and I can now confirm that the GMP does not sound the same as the QP400.
The GMP has a much more bassier and darker sound than the QP 400... actualy the GMP 450 Pro sounds much more like the QP 400 than the GMP 400.
Another difference is that the GMP 400 sounds louder (easier to drive) than the GMP 450 Pro while with the QPs 400 and 450 Pro it's the other way around...

Mar 13, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #34 of 43

Quote:

Those are the same impressions I got when I auditioned the QP 400. Very, very bright.
My GMP 400 dampening scheme also uses a small (roughly 40 - 50 milimeters diameter) black velvet disk glued in between to layers of foam (one thicker than the other)... HMMM...

Looking forward to your impressions.

Mounted on the headphone: 41-6085 - Round earpads, velvet/velour;
Top center of the picture: 41-6050 - Oval perforated earpads with bigger opening, soft foil;
Top right: 41-6049 - Same as 41-6085 but perforated;
Bottom right: 41-6086 - Small oval opening with filter incorporated earpads, synthetic Leather.

As you guys can see in these two pictures I have 4 different pairs of earpads to use with my GMP 400 and 450 Pro.
The stock ones on the MB Quart QP 400 are the 41-6049 and these are the brightest are leanest sounding earpads of them all.

I tried those earpads on my GMP 400 and I can now confirm that the GMP does not sound the same as the QP400.
The GMP has a much more bassier and darker sound than the QP 400... actualy the GMP 450 Pro sounds much more like the QP 400 than the GMP 400.
Another difference is that the GMP 400 sounds louder (easier to drive) than the GMP 450 Pro while with the QPs 400 and 450 Pro it's the other way around...

Interesting. I am noticing the QP400s to be a bit harder to drive than my SP-1s, which I am still not sure if they are QP450 PRO or GMP450 PRO equivalents.

The paperwork that came from CharterOak said Manufactured and Handmade by German Manufacturer MB Quart.... but the QP450s do not have the semi-coil cable and the GMP 450 PROs do.

Must've been some mysterious inbetween?

Still some time before the write up...but I do agree that the QP400s sound brighter to my ears.  Large spacious and powerful vocal ranges in the QP400s, but this also has a cost as it kind of overpowers some other details of the music.  The SP-1s are a tad bright, but imo pay a little more attention to the midranges and have more low end punch... I guess I feel the SP-1s to be flatter in response.  I'm a big fan of the detail in the SP-1s, that's for sure.

More on this in the write up.  Both headphones are very nimble! Fast driver...

Mar 14, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #35 of 43

Quote:
Interesting. I am noticing the QP400s to be a bit harder to drive than my SP-1s, which I am still not sure if they are QP450 PRO or GMP450 PRO equivalents.

The paperwork that came from CharterOak said Manufactured and Handmade by German Manufacturer MB Quart.... but the QP450s do not have the semi-coil cable and the GMP 450 PROs do.

Must've been some mysterious inbetween?

Still some time before the write up...but I do agree that the QP400s sound brighter to my ears.  Large spacious and powerful vocal ranges in the QP400s, but this also has a cost as it kind of overpowers some other details of the music.  The SP-1s are a tad bright, but imo pay a little more attention to the midranges and have more low end punch... I guess I feel the SP-1s to be flatter in response.  I'm a big fan of the detail in the SP-1s, that's for sure.

More on this in the write up.  Both headphones are very nimble! Fast driver...

The true Charteroak correlation to QP or GMP puzzles me also...
I think to have read somewhere that the Charteroak SP-1 is actualy a custom or tweaked QP 450 Pro, but I can't remember where I found that information, nor even if it is reliable...
From everything I have read I believe that it sounds more like the GMP...

But I can say quite confidently that the GMP 450 Pro does not sound like the QP 450 Pro. There must have been some driver tweak for such a disparate sound.
I also think that the cable of the GMP is thinner than the QP and the cable on the QP ends up on a 6,5mm jack and not on a 3,5 mm with a 6,5mm adaptor like the GMP (I may be wrong here my memory is failing a little). I think that the cables of the QP 400 and QP 450 Pro were identical, so if I'm correct, the cable of the QP 400 should be thicker than the SP-1...

Anyway, the GMP 450 Pro sounds brighter and leaner than the QP counterpart, and, in part because of this, the most peculiar difference between them is in their presentation of sound (I mean the spacial perspective perception they provide of the sonic objects):

While with the QP 450 Pro I felt that it tried to connect me to the music as to make me enjoy it more than to analize it, the GMP does the opposite, it trys to make everything sound more distant and 'lighter' as if to detach me from the music to have a better perspective from which analize it.
It might seem that I saying that the GMP 450 Pro has a bigger soundstage than it's QP counterpart, but not really, it's different... at least to my ears...
In the aspect of spacial perspective i find the GMP 450 Pro very reminescent of the QP 400.

It would be very interesting to know how the QP 400 would sound with the SP-1 earpads and vice-versa... are you guys going to report this experiment on your write-up?
My GMP 400 sounds very, very dark and quite bass heavy with those earpads, I doubt that the QP 400 would sound as dark and heavy as the GMP...

Apr 19, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #36 of 43
Hi all!

I just bought the MB Quart QP 220s for like $50 online.. seems like an outrageous deal.

Can we keep this thread going? Or start an appreciation thread?? I know there have to be more MB Quart/German Maestro users out there!

Anyone use a pair recently?

Apr 20, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #38 of 43
Cool man, I bet they will get here tomorrow. I am gonna take unboxing picks and stuff, test them out with an amp, etc... then start a new threat for MB Quart and German Maestro. I expect all my MB Quart heads to chime in!

Apr 21, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #39 of 43

Quote:
Cool man, I bet they will get here tomorrow. I am gonna take unboxing picks and stuff, test them out with an amp, etc... then start a new threat for MB Quart and German Maestro. I expect all my MB Quart heads to chime in!

Sounds good.  The two active threads on Quart stuff have been both this one and the Charter Oak SP-1 thread.  I haven't had the time I have wanted but JGOelfke and myself have been looking to write extensive reviews of our QP400 and SP-1 and plan on putting them head to head to contrast their differences with various types of music.  I had planned on opening an appreciation thread with that.

Do as you please of course!  But an unboxing/impressions of your QP400 may fit better in this thread and will make it easier for future info-lookers to find the appropriate information.

I'm a long time MB Quart fan (The original engineers now being German Maestro) way before I was into headphones... quite familiar with all their equipment.

Apr 21, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #40 of 43
I just realized it is a QP220 you're unboxing.

My bad!  I'm actually really curious about this headphone so I am excited to get your impressions.

Oct 23, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #43 of 43
Who knows, produced model of the year ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back